cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting issue

Indyalexander
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Folks, I just want to start off by saying thank you for your help and input! Here’s my issue:

I’ve tried to port my home phone number with Telus over to my mobile phone with Public Mobile. On November 3rd I filled out the change number form online and it said it was successful, however (as of November 7th) my home phone still works and my public mobile phone can neither send or receive calls or texts. Does anyone know if this is normal and the process just takes time? What makes me nervous is that I successfully ported my wife’s old number to her mobile phone with no issues and it started to work almost instantly.

This seems to be an account spicific issue so I’ve PM’d the moderator team a few times but received no response. Getting a little worried having been without a working mobile phone for a few days. 

Thanks for your help everyone!

28 REPLIES 28

@Indyalexander wrote:

Hi computergeek541 

Thats certainly an interesting thought. And likely exactly how public mobile views it. Thank you for your input. 

I’m curious to know what you think of them taking away my referral reward and not offering compensation for the loss of service?

You have no lost anything monetarily by paying $11.20 at the store for the im card.  The top up they gave you has the exact same value.

Now as for losing your referal,I do not work for Public Mobile, and have no need to defend the carrier or the actions that were taken on your account.  As for them fixing the referal credit for you, they really shouldn't have taken this long.  I know you shouldn't have had to keep messaging them a bunch of times and wait so long for responses, but it's good to hear that things were finally fixed up for you.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Indyalexander wrote:

Hi Conputergeek541, 

Not quite sure what you mean. They asked me to go to an actual store and buy a $11.20 SIM card. I spent $11.20 and in return they credited me $10. So I lost $1.20. 

Im not going to make a big deal about loosing $1.20. But it seems shady to promise to cover the whole $11.20 and then only repay me $10. 

Any fund in your account already includes tax.

In order to add $10 in your account, you need to pay $10 + the sale tax in your province+GST.  Therefore, $10 in your account = $11.20 in your province.

Indyalexander

Resolution at last!  

It took a few more back and forth PM’s  but I’ve been given more than reasonable compensation for all the troubles with this account setup and port. 

A big thank you to Moderator Noella for the wonderful assistance with all this! 

And a big thank you to the community for their insights and help! 

Indyalexander

Hi computergeek541 

Thats certainly an interesting thought. And likely exactly how public mobile views it. Thank you for your input. 

I’m curious to know what you think of them taking away my referral reward and not offering compensation for the loss of service?

@Indyalexander wrote:

Hi Conputergeek541, 

Not quite sure what you mean. They asked me to go to an actual store and buy a $11.20 SIM card. I spent $11.20 and in return they credited me $10. So I lost $1.20. 

Im not going to make a big deal about loosing $1.20. But it seems shady to promise to cover the whole $11.20 and then only repay me $10. 

Sim cards are $10+tax  $11.20 would mean that you are in a province that has 12% HST..  Since you were given a $10 account balance credit, you never had to to pay the tax on that $10 account balance.  You and Public Mobile are "Even Stephen".  You haven't lost $1.20 - just some time to go get the new sim card.   

If you were to buy a $10 top up yourself, you would be charged $11.20.  Taxes are paid to the retailer or through the website at the time of top up.  The credit they gave you is exactly the same price as you paid for the sim card at the store.

Indyalexander

Hi Conputergeek541, 

@Indyalexander wrote:

The Plot Thickens. 

So after 21 days public Mobile finally got me working phone service! I’d just like to take a minute and say a big thank you to everyone for all their suggestions, and input. The help was truely appreciated. 

In the end they said they couldn’t find anything wrong, so they deleted my old account and set up a new one. This seemed to fix the porting problem. At least the phone works now with the number I wanted ported over. I’m very happy to have a working phone with the correct phone number. However there are still outstanding issues, and 21 days without phone service was an insane experience. 

During the process of trying to fix the port, I was asked to buy a new SIM card. Total cost $11.20. Moderator Amine promised me I would be fully compensated. Unfortunately they will only credit me $10 for the SIM. I’m not going to argue over $1.20 as it is essentially the tax for the product but it seems like bad customer service to stiff me for $1.20 especially under the circumstances. 

It's great to here that they fixed it for you.

As for the $10/$11.20 thing, you haven't lost $1.20.  Public Mobile account balances do not already have the taxes added to them. If they put a $10 credit into your account, that also means that the sales taxes for that $10 balance were also taken care of.

Indyalexander

The Plot Thickens. 

So after 21 days public Mobile finally got me working phone service! I’d just like to take a minute and say a big thank you to everyone for all their suggestions, and input. The help was truely appreciated. 

In the end they said they couldn’t find anything wrong, so they deleted my old account and set up a new one. This seemed to fix the porting problem. At least the phone works now with the number I wanted ported over. I’m very happy to have a working phone with the correct phone number. However there are still outstanding issues, and 21 days without phone service was an insane experience. 

During the process of trying to fix the port, I was asked to buy a new SIM card. Total cost $11.20. Moderator Amine promised me I would be fully compensated. Unfortunately they will only credit me $10 for the SIM. I’m not going to argue over $1.20 as it is essentially the tax for the product but it seems like bad customer service to stiff me for $1.20 especially under the circumstances. 

On the original account I had a $1 credit for referring a friend. Because they closed the original account and opened a new one for me with the ported number they are refusing to apply the $1 referral credit to the new account. This too seems like poor customer service. I feel that if I referred a person I should be credited for it regardless of what they do to change my account. 

On top of all of that, I asked for 21 days of free service, equal to the time I had absolutely no phone service. They said “they would like to, but are unable to credit me”

I’d like to send a link to this thread and let the moderators know what the community thinks of the service I’ve received up till this point. Do you feel I should be given my $1 referral credit? Should I be compensated for having no phone service for an excessively long time. I’d love to hear your opinions and thoughts so I can share them with the Mods. 

Indyalexander

Hello popping,

Thank you again for your input and help! I’ll PM the mods with that info right away.

popping

@Indyalexander wrote:

Hi Mimmo_L

Thank you for the suggestion. However, reporting the phone lost or stolen then reactivating seemed to have no effect. I still cannot call in or out or send or receive text messages. 

I don’t get any message when trying to call out. The phone simply ends the call before it dials out. (It does the same if you try to dial out without a SIM card inserted) 

I did find something interesting however. In the iPhone if you look at the top of the contacts list it shows you ‘your number’. The number it shows is the original public mobile number I got with the phone before I tried to port my home phone over. When I log into my public Mobile account it shows the account status as active but says my phone number is the home phone number I tried to port over. I’m not sure if that discrepancy indicates anything. 

Something went really wrong during porting your landline number.

1.  PM system was updated correctly - i.e. showing your landline number.

2.  But your SIM was not updated with your landline number.  

3.  According to PM system, you are no longer have that number issued to you during activation.  Therefore, this is the reason why your SIM cannot get PM system to call out from that unassigned PM number.

Did you mentioned this discrepancy to moderator?

If not, private message moderator again.

Even you did, you should tell moderator about my interpretation of the discrepancy.  I do hope that this may give the tech support some clue what had happened.

Good luck.

Indyalexander

Hi Dunkman,

Yes that’s another serious component to this problem. I need that phone number for business reasons, so I feel a little bit like a hostage to the situation. Unfortunately loosing that number would be fairly damaging. That being said, having no phone is fairly damaging as well. I’m at my wits end at this point. Not quite sure what to do. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that is some kinda patience. Thanks for the update.

I would ask for a new start date and the first 60 days free and a credit for the SIM. Come on. What's it take? It's not like this is some kinda new tech thing here. And having to re-explain every time to a different person. Sheesh.

Please keep us posted as to any resolution.

Maybe just for laughs do that lost/stolen thing every day.

@Indyalexander

Wow, you have been patient.  Most people would have lost their patience by now....  I would ask for compensation (maybe free month or two credit).  Having no service for three weeks is really unacceptable....

Problem is that if you changed service right now, you will likely lose your phone number...

Indyalexander

Hi everyone,

Here is an update on my situation, 

Unfortunately my porting issue has not been resolved yet. I am now on day 20 with no phone service what so ever. Others have reported being able to call out with their phone during a stuck port. I have absolutely no service.

I seem to be being passed between moderators. So far I have been contacted by the moderators Syed, Aïssata, Amine, Bladmir R, and Noella. Each time I have to re-explain the problem. Their advise has ranged from turn your phone on and off again, to buy a new SIM card. Nothing has worked yet. I’ve been assured the tech department is working on it. But I am loosing hope after 3 weeks. 

Through all of this I’ve been very polite (I work in customer service and strongly dislike it when people become angry and aggressive) however having no service for three weeks is frankly insane. I’m really reluctant to complain about the customer service because the moderators seem to be genuinely trying to help and the community is great. But the end result has still been no phone service.

The only compensation I’ve been offered is to reset my billing cycle once the phone issue is resolved. So here is my question. How long do you think I should hold out before giving up? And if they actually get me phone service should I ask for sone sort of compensation? Do you think it would be reasonable to ask for some sort of loyalty bonus, a few bucks off my bill? What would you do? 

Indyalexander

Hi Everyone,

thank you again for all the help and input. Sorry for my slow responses, I’m only able to deal with the issue when I have wifi at this point. 

Yes I’m porting over a landline and I know it takes longer than a mobile number, however there seems to be more to it than that, the accounts says it’s active with the new number and the old landline number has been cut off. 

There is an option to change your number in the iPhone settings. But this only seems to adjust the number in your contacts. No change in the phone not being able to send/receive calls or texts. 

The moderators PM’d me back. They said after reviewing the account they saw the port is completed and asked me to turn my phone off for 30 seconds and turn it back on. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. 

I let them know it didn’t work but I suppose I’ll have to wait a few more days for the response. I’m on day 10 with no phone... at least it’s peaceful 🙂 

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello @Indyalexander

Just noticed you mentioned porting over a Home phone number. Do you mean you are trying to port over a Land Line phone number? Or do you just mean your previous number?

If you are trying to port over a Land Line, I do believe that the process is lengthier than a mobile number.

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When i ported my number it took a few days. As for messaging the mod team a few times. They do try to answer everyone quickly but sometimes it could take as long as 72 hours to recieve a reply. So you only need to message them once. They are probably just working through everyones requests and hopefully will be able to assist with yours soon!

Good Luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Indyalexander: That's excellent observing. I'm not an Apple guy but is there somewhere in the phone to manually change the number to what it should be? I seem to think I can in my old Blackberry.

Indyalexander

Hi Mimmo_L

Thank you for the suggestion. However, reporting the phone lost or stolen then reactivating seemed to have no effect. I still cannot call in or out or send or receive text messages. 

I don’t get any message when trying to call out. The phone simply ends the call before it dials out. (It does the same if you try to dial out without a SIM card inserted) 

I did find something interesting however. In the iPhone if you look at the top of the contacts list it shows you ‘your number’. The number it shows is the original public mobile number I got with the phone before I tried to port my home phone over. When I log into my public Mobile account it shows the account status as active but says my phone number is the home phone number I tried to port over. I’m not sure if that discrepancy indicates anything. 

mimmo

@Indyalexander. Not being able to call is strange with stuck ports.

While wAiting for mods try the lost stolen trick. It can't hurt.  

Also do you get a message when trying to call out.?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-f...

Indyalexander

I first PM’d the moderators on Monday, November 5th. Still no response. 

Unfortunately my situation is is much worse now. My home phone has been disconnected, which was expected. However my mobile phone still does not send or receive calls. So I’m completely without a phone at the moment. 

popping

@Indyalexander

Thank you for providing your info.  At this point, nothing you can do but wait for moderator to work on your porting issue.  When did you contacted moderator?  Current wait time is about 48 to 72 hours.

Indyalexander

Hi Popping, thank you again for the help.

On the [plans and add on] page it shows the correct number (the landline number I’ve been trying to port over) 

When I restart the phone (with the Public Mobile SIM inserted) I have a full 4 bars of service but I am still unable to call out. No change in the phone’s behaviour. 

popping

@Indyalexander

Select [Plan and Add-Ons] tab on top of self-serve overview page, your landline number should be shown on your [Plan and Add-Ons] page.

Re-start you phone with your PM SIM card inserted.  Can you call out?

Indyalexander

Good questions popping. 

The phone shows Public Mobile as the service provider at the top of the screen (where previously it showed Telus) so that seems correct. 

When I log into my account it says “Account Status: Active” 

popping

@Indyalexander wrote:

Hi popping,

Thanks for your reply. The public mobile phone can not send or receive calls. When I try to call from the phone (iPhone 6) it will not connect and says “call ended” immediately the same as it will with no SIM card. 

That was my concern too.  If the port was not complete, you should at least can call out.

Is your phone showing "Public Mobile" as the service provider?

Is your account status active on your self-serve account?

Indyalexander

Hi popping,

Thanks for your reply. The public mobile phone can not send or receive calls. When I try to call from the phone (iPhone 6) it will not connect and says “call ended” immediately the same as it will with no SIM card. 

popping

@Indyalexander wrote:

Hi Folks, I just want to start off by saying thank you for your help and input! Here’s my issue:

I’ve tried to port my home phone number with Telus over to my mobile phone with Public Mobile. On November 3rd I filled out the change number form online and it said it was successful, however (as of November 7th) my home phone still works and my public mobile phone can neither send or receive calls or texts. Does anyone know if this is normal and the process just takes time? What makes me nervous is that I successfully ported my wife’s old number to her mobile phone with no issues and it started to work almost instantly.

This seems to be an account spicific issue so I’ve PM’d the moderator team a few times but received no response. Getting a little worried having been without a working mobile phone for a few days. 

Thanks for your help everyone!

Porting landline will take longer than porting a mobile number.

One thing I like to see is your can called out from your mobile phone.  But you cannot call out at the moment.

Wait time for moderator support is 48 - 72 hours.  Wait for 1 - 2 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.