cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Public Mobile

siddeshpai
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Moderator_Team Hello, my Public mobile plan has expired and I would like to port my number to some other service provider. How do I do that?

16 REPLIES 16

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Normally porting is initiated by the destination phone company.  Be sure to don't cancel your previous account since the destination company will no longer be able to grab your previous number.   After porting is complete, your previous company will cancel and close your account

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You know what, now that there is a $10 plan available, I think the community should scale back in asking for a good will gesture for this scenario and instead push people toward changing to the $10 plan to activate long enough to port out.  By now, number portability has been around long enough in Canada the people should be aware that their account needs to be active and in good status for the port to process.  If they're not familiar with the process, they should look into it rather than just assuming they can port their number out of an inactive account.  If you're not on top of it enough to port out before your plan expires, then just pony up the $10 to reactivate on the $10/50/50 plan in order to meet the requirments for portability.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am wrote:

@Murco wrote:

Your plan will have to be active at time of the port so you might have to top up your plan with the cheapest 30 day plan. With that said, I would send a message to the Moderators to see if they can give you an exception before toping up your account.

To be fair to the sending carrier which is losing a customer, how do you ask for goodwill on the way out?  Personally, I have pretty thick skin when it comes to seeking deals.  I would have a difficult time pleading my case on why a break should be given here.  Besides if the goodwill trough has only so much to go around, it is best to allocate the scarce resource to those that remain loyal customers. 

I think that it's in the hope that you'll either change your mind or consider coming back in the future.  People change plans an carriers all the time, some people multiple times in a year or two depending on where the deals are.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

To be fair to the sending carrier which is losing a customer, how do you ask for goodwill on the way out?  Personally, I have pretty thick skin when it comes to seeking deals.  I would have a difficult time pleading my case on why a break should be given here.  Besides if the goodwill trough has only so much to go around, it is best to allocate the scarce resource to those that remain loyal customers. 

Not as a pile-on to Murco but that is fantastically right on. I even have some hesitation in posting on those kinds of threads. A big giant see ya! Good riddance and all that. Figure it out for yourself kinda thing.

@ShawnC13: I think I imagined Luddite did that already. But thanks.

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeez. Hey...maybe an Oracle could slice this part of the thread out into a new thread. The subject even got changed. This became a hijacked Top Contributors thread. Although I suppose it happens all the time so whatever. 🙂

@ShawnC13: you like doing that stuff.

@Luddite?

@Anonymous, done. 

ETA this post took like 17 minutes to show up with it spinning away on my work comp took up my whole break lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@siddeshpai if you haven't already, please follow @stonechucker's instructions.  This is your best bet for porting out:

@stonechucker wrote:

@siddeshpai, please go into your self-serve account, click change plan on the overview page, and then select the $10 50/50 plan (it's the cheapest option) and activate that one.

You will need to add $10 before you make your selection, if it already isn't the $10 plan you have registered.

This will be faster than waiting for the Moderator_Team to help you out.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Murco wrote:

Your plan will have to be active at time of the port so you might have to top up your plan with the cheapest 30 day plan. With that said, I would send a message to the Moderators to see if they can give you an exception before toping up your account.

@Anonymous FYI: unless every post notes the OP's handle only bits and pieces of the thread will migrate when the original post is moved. Too late for this thread. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez. Hey...maybe an Oracle could slice this part of the thread out into a new thread. The subject even got changed. This became a hijacked Top Contributors thread. Although I suppose it happens all the time so whatever. 🙂

@ShawnC13: you like doing that stuff.

Thanks @Luddite

@siddeshpai, please go into your self-serve account, click change plan on the overview page, and then select the $10 50/50 plan (it's the cheapest option) and activate that one.

You will need to add $10 before you make your selection, if it already isn't the $10 plan you have registered.

This will be faster than waiting for the Moderator_Team to help you out.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@siddeshpai wrote:

I called them to ask about this. They said they can't give me the same number because my Public Mobile plan is not active right now. 

@Moderator_Team Could you please look into this? 

To port IN to Public Mobile they require that your number be active with providor that you have the number with. A port OUT would have the exact same requirements wouldn't it? In which case you would have to activate your account on a cheap/short plan and then go ahead with the port out. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You need to get your old plan up and running again - Check that - you need to have ANY plan activated with your number. You can try to add funds to your account and switch to the $10 plan. Basically the phone number you want to port out has to be working - not suspended.

Murco

siddeshpai
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I called them to ask about this. They said they can't give me the same number because my Public Mobile plan is not active right now. 

@Moderator_Team Could you please look into this? 

Murco

Need Help? Let's chat.