cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Petro Canada Mobility possible during self serve activation?

riller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'll be porting my Petro Canada Mobility number to Public mobile soon. Was wondering if it has to be ported through a moderator or it can be done during self serve activation if the Petro Canada is listed in drop-down menu for old provider listing to choose? Or does one have to choose a new number during activation and then do the port request in the change number option in my profile (If provider name not required to enter in)?

I know with PC mobile (the grocery store company) porting has to be done with moderator.

But with Petro Canada Mobility (The oil company), is it the same process? Or can it be done in self serve?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

@riller wrote:

Thanks NDesai for the reply.   I don't have account number since Petro canada mobile doesn't use them.  I have IMEI number, PIN number.  I contacted them and they advised me that there is no account number and in order to port out, all I needed was to provide IMEI number and PIN number to the new provider.

Yes, IMEI should work as well. More details about number transfer: How to choose your Phone Number (publicmobile.ca)

Mobile Phone Number Transfer Landline Phone Number Transfer

Old service provider brandFirst and last name of account holder
IMEI Number OR Previous Provider Account NumberComplete billing address
Alternate Contact Phone NumberAlternate Contact Phone Number

riller

Thanks NDesai for the reply.   I don't have account number since Petro canada mobile doesn't use them.  I have IMEI number, PIN number.  I contacted them and they advised me that there is no account number and in order to port out, all I needed was to provide IMEI number and PIN number to the new provider.

@riller wrote:

Thanks. Good idea.  So I would then do the port request in the 'change number' option in my profile?  Would you know if Petro Canada mobile is listed as previous provider?  Is the name no longer required now?

When you request Change number, you will be asked to confirm if the number is eligible.

After that you will be asked to fill in the information of the account.  Old Service provider is a text field you enter and not selected from the list.  

@riller wrote:

Thanks. Good idea.  So I would then do the port request in the 'change number' option in my profile?  Would you know if Petro Canada mobile is listed as previous provider?  Is the name no longer required now?

Yes, you will have to request port in using the "Change number" link. I don't think you need to provide carrier details. Just the account number and name should do. 

riller

@riller 

There has been on occasion an issue with SIM cards provisioning upon activation which if it happens and you port at the same time you would in effect have no services temporarily. Thats why I suggest you activate the pm sim card first with a temporary number and once you have all of your services then port your number in.....very handy with the dual sim phone.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@riller wrote:

I'll be porting my Petro Canada Mobility number to Public mobile soon. Was wondering if it has to be ported through a moderator or it can be done during self serve activation if the Petro Canada is listed in drop-down menu for old provider listing to choose? Or does one have to choose a new number during activation and then do the port request in the change number option in my profile (If provider name not required to enter in)?

I know with PC mobile (the grocery store company) porting has to be done with moderator.

But with Petro Canada Mobility (The oil company), is it the same process? Or can it be done in self serve?

Thanks

@riller 

Porting your phone number from another cell provider it could take a few hours to complete the port.

Using the other cell provider's SIM you should be still receiving calls on it, until the port completes.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

riller

Thanks for the quick reply.  My phone has dual SIM slots so I can have both Petro Canada and the new PM SIM card at the same time without have any interruptions and a possible missed SMS message.    So, I'm glad to know that Petro canada can be ported during activation. I suppose they added the name on the provider pull down menu?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@riller

Yes you can port it in thru your self serve account. I would recommend activating your SIM card to ensure you have all of your services working first then port your number in afterwards, Don't forget to put your petro can sim card back in your phone to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of receiving it.

Need Help? Let's chat.