cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting an account from another service with bill owing

MPuser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, if I were to port my existing number to Public Mobile from my previous carrier, but I still need to pay last months (and eventually this month's) bill since I'm still on their service, will this cause any issues? I'm aware the general approach to porting is to do so before cancelling your service with the previous provider, however will these bills affect the porting process.

Just to be clear, these are not overdue bills, but amounts owing as currently my account is in good standing.

3 REPLIES 3

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MPuser  Once you setup the port with PM and the port is completed your account with your previous provider gets closed and they will send you a pro-rated bill.

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@MPuser wrote:

Hello, if I were to port my existing number to Public Mobile from my previous carrier, but I still need to pay last months (and eventually this month's) bill since I'm still on their service, will this cause any issues? I'm aware the general approach to porting is to do so before cancelling your service with the previous provider, however will these bills affect the porting process.

Just to be clear, these are not overdue bills, but amounts owing as currently my account is in good standing.

No, it shouldn't have any effect on porting.  Your current/old provider will just send you a final bill with it being prorated to the day you ported out.

Depending on your provider, 

If it is a post paid provider, Rogers/Fido/Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin, then you will be pro-rated and will only be charged until the last day of use. 

If you are on a pre-paid provider, such as 7-11 Speakout, Chatr, Lucky, or Public Mobile, or many others out there, you will lose your credit, period. 
If you are migrating from same brand pre-paid, like Rogers prepaid -> Rogers postpaid, then you can have the credit transferred over, but must be same brand. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@MPuser wrote:

No, it shouldn't have any effect on porting.  Your current/old provider will just send you a final bill with it being prorated to the day you ported out.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.