cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number from PM to PM

Dawanderer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have two PM accounts, accounts A and B.
I want to change number on Account B by porting a number over from Account A. This will close account A as intended.

I spoke to a moderator but he/she said this is not possible as per policy.

I am trying to do something that is listed as an option under the "Change Number" section in my selfserve portal. The section has two options,
1. Select a new number.
2. Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider.

I am trying to pick option 2 and attempting to transfer from a wireless number from Public Mobile. It is clear from the above text on the selfserve portal, that transferring from one PM account to another PM account is possible.

I would like to keep my account (B) that has a better plan, but the number I would like to keep is on another account (A) with a not-so-good plan.

Please help!! @Shazia_K

29 REPLIES 29

@hyzreg wrote:

Is this still executable? I plan to get a new PM account#2, and move my current PM account#1 number to #2, and get a new number for the #1.

Sorry, but Public Mobile won't do this.   A business decision was made to no longer to allow such actions to be taken.

hyzreg

Is this still executable? I plan to get a new PM account#2, and move my current PM account#1 number to #2, and get a new number for the #1.

if it is possible, who should I contact? how to make it happen!

Thank you so much!

Chriscafe

thanks...not knowing anything about the backend of the systems - one would think doable - not like i'm going to another provider which i would think is far more work which does work.

And i'm even fine with a net new number on A1 once it's ported to A2.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Chriscafe wrote:

Difference here is i'm not porting a number out of PM.

@Chriscafe it's not as much of a difference as you might think. You're welcome to try but I would be thoroughly surprised if you get anything other than a polite no in response.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Chriscafe

Difference here is i'm not porting a number out of PM.

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

Regardless though...

Send ONE (1) private message to them...

@Anonymous unfortunately, all this will do is take up moderator time to say no. I'd suggest not recommending contacting them for number swap, as we know what the outcome will be. 

EDIT: As Shazia_K put it herself about 13 months ago: 

"We won't be making this change anymore, if someone wants to port out their phone number because there is a better promotion out there then they are free to do it but it's not sustainable for us to apply this exception for every customer that wants this.  I'm sorry to come out this way, we try to accommodate our customers as much as we can, however, there are some things that we cannot do. "

Full posting can be found here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-Takeover-my-12-gb-3-month-120-3mth-plan/m-p/206212/highlight/true#M23697.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Chriscafe wrote:

Hi...

I'd like to do similar.

I have PM account A since 2016 and would like to move to PM account B (just opened).

I would like to keep PM account A plan open with no changes and either swap in existing number from PM account B to it or asssign a new number to PM account A.

I will be keeping both accounts open just don't want to mess up their plans or anything.

Can a moderator help me? I have PIN and logins for both accounts.

@Chriscafe, you are not able to move number from account B to A but you can just go in to your self serve and select change number on Account A to get a new number no need for Moderator assistance that way.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Alexandru_Odate
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Chriscafe:

Good new!

For one of your planned change this is possible. But only for the second one (i.e. to assign a new phone number on the existing - older - A account).

Keep in mind, please: the only change that technically isn't possible is to exchange phone numbers between two existing accounts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chriscafe wrote:

Hi...

I'd like to do similar.

I have PM account A since 2016 and would like to move to PM account B (just opened).

I would like to keep PM account A plan open with no changes and either swap in existing number from PM account B to it or asssign a new number to PM account A.

I will be keeping both accounts open just don't want to mess up their plans or anything.

A moderator replying to this older thread has said that is not possible. Keeping one of the accounts with a preferred number yes. But not keeping both. Apparently not technically possible.

Chriscafe

Hi...

I'd like to do similar.

jackfzhao
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Rockdaddy22
Thanks for the update, glad she was able to help 🙂

Dreamliner

Guys , Shazia kindly assigned my preferred number to my account with promotion.

So for clarification ,it was not a swapping numbers between accounts. just assigning a number from account A to account B.(You will loose account A and your previous account B number).

Thanks again Shazia

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@NDesai

In that case, it can still be possible, like @Rockdaddy22 said with a temporary phone number. 

Let's say if OP wants to switch numbers between both accounts then in this case that wouldn't be possible for us to do, no solution at all.

Please let me know if you guys have any other questions 🙂 

Cheers, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Rockdaddy22
Seems like it is possible with a temp number.

@Shazia_K So if OP wanted to keep account A open, that would be possible? I thought this was impossible even from your end as porting from another account forces account closure. What changed now?

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @srlawren

I agree.. but the thing here is that the op does not want the other account active anymore. He chooses to keep only one, so I deactivate the account A  and assign the phone number to account B. If he was to keep both accounts active then no, it wouldn't be possible. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

srlawren

@Shazia_K I'm confused.  Is this a new option for you guys?  This has been asked about in the past and we were told that it was definitely NOT possible, even with moderator assistance. This comes up fairly regularly, so I'd like to know the deal here.  In the past I have always told people it was not possible, based on what I had heard from moderators previously.

You should contact the mods. No phone number can be ported from PM to PM on the selfserve.

Dreamliner

Hello ,

Sorry , just for make sure the procedure is correct, 

My account A is for Fall-2016 Promotion which is 12GB/90Days 

and 

my another account (B) is 6GB/90days.

I would like to keep account A plan/promotion but with number for account B.

I know I will loose number for account A and the whole ofmy account B.

So what should i do? Log-in to account A and request change number , then enter the number for account B? is that correct? or contact to Moderators with PV and explain situation?

Regards

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Dawanderer

Awesome! sure, please 😉 

@SD08

You're welcome 😄

Dawanderer

@Shazia_K wrote:

Hey @Dawanderer

Thank you for reaching out, 

If I understand correctly, you have two accounts, account A and account B. 

You want to keep account B but with the phone number related to account A?  If this is the case, we can manually change the phone number in the back end but you would be left with two choices for account A. 

1. Either keep account A opened with a random phone number that I will assign

Or

2. Permanently close account A.

Let me know if this makes sense. 

Thanks,

Shazia

@Shazia_K

Yes Shazia the option 2 is what I want. I want to permanenty close account A. Shall I PM you with details now so you can proceed with the change in the backend?

SD08

@Shazia_K wrote:

@SD08

Yes, it can be done by us only, If he would to do it by the self-serve portal then it would simply not pass through that step.

Thanks,

Shazia

Thanks very much for the clarification, Shazia.  Cat Happy

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@SD08

Yes, it can be done by us only, If he would to do it by the self-serve portal then it would simply not pass through that step.

Thanks,

Shazia

SD08

@Shazia_K

So, just to be clear on this, what the customer is asking can be done, but only manually by a moderator?  If the customer tried doing this using the self-serve option to "transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider", what would be the result?  A stuck port?  A cancelled account A but number not ported (lost)?  Or simply a rejected operation?  

Robot surprised

mimmo
You could also port to freedom then freedom to pm and get the 4gb month plan. And depending on what your existing good plan is fall promo? maybe someone else could take it off your hands.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

PLEASE SEE THE UPDATED: ARTICLE

Hey @Dawanderer

Thank you for reaching out, 

If I understand correctly, you have two accounts, account A and account B. 

You want to keep account B but with the phone number related to account A?  If this is the case, we can manually change the phone number in the back end but you would be left with two choices for account A. 

1. Either keep account A opened with a random phone number that I will assign

Or

2. Permanently close account A.

Let me know if this makes sense. 

Thanks,

Shazia

SD08

I'm also interested in the replies to this.  (Subscribed)  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Agree; I would also like to know whether the note on the transfer phone number page is true or false! Robot Frustrated

There is a workaround that is not free: Virgin mobile SIM is $5 plus $? for pay as you go. Port out to Virgin; port-in to PM. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.