cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a Number from OOMA.COM

kevinkatovic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,  I tried the change number and transfer or port a number from ooma to my public mobile phone.  I think I got the account number wrong and it caused a error and now I cant innitiate the porting sequence again can someone reset this or do it manually for me?

I am trying to port 778-xxx-xxxx  to 250-xxx-xxxx 

I put the account number as 778xxxxxxx apparently ooma said my account number is really 1778xxxxxxxx   this caused a problem with the porting sequence.

Can someone reset it on my account?  Now it sometimes asks me for my local area code and sometimes doesn't but in red letters says.

We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance.

Can someone help me?

You can text me or email me thanks.

xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx

EDIT: Personal info removed by NDesai

3 REPLIES 3

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@kevinkatovic wrote:

Hi,  I tried the change number and transfer or port a number from ooma to my public mobile phone.  I think I got the account number wrong and it caused a error and now I cant innitiate the porting sequence again can someone reset this or do it manually for me?

I am trying to port 778-xxx-xxxx to 250-xxx-xxxx

I put the account number as 778xxxxxxx apparently ooma said my account number is really 1778xxxxxxx   this caused a problem with the porting sequence.

Can someone reset it on my account?  Now it sometimes asks me for my local area code and sometimes doesn't but in red letters says.

We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance.

Can someone help me?

You can text me or email me thanks.

Porting from land lines or VoIP providers can take up to a week.

However, there are a couple of things that don't add up in your post...

- Account number: I'd go back to Ooma and get the exact information that they need for releasing the number for a port out. If the information in the port reques doesn't match the information in their data base, the port will fail.

- The 250-xxx-xxxx number mentioned* is not an original Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile number for the area - it's originally a Bell or Virgin number. How long ago did you port it to Public Mobile? You can only change your Public Mobile number once every 30 days.

- Also, and that is technically none of my business (pun somewhat intended), but some food for thought... Why would you replace a local number with a Victoria number, specially since this seems to be your local business contact?

- What do you mean "it" (?) asks you for your local area code?

TL;DR:

Get the proper information from your previous carrer and send it by private message to the moderator team (Public Mobile employees, the only people who can help with account related issues and the only ones who should see your personal information!!)

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team.

What to expect after sending your initial private message: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Changes-to-how-you-verify-that-you-re-t...

More useful information on contacting the mods and getting help at Public Mobile:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

* At the time of typing the information was still fully visible to me. I have redacted the quote and the reply but took the liberty of addressing some of my concerns around the information given.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kevinkatovic  Since OOMA is a VOIP service, number porting from VOIP to mobile can take much longer than mobile to mobile (days vs. hours). Just FYI, so you know what to expect after you get assistance from the PM moderators.

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kevinkatovic 

Please remove your personal information (phone#, email ...etc) from your post as this is a public forum.

For porting issue, send a private message to MOD and explain your situation. Wait time is a hours up to 48 hours.

Need Help? Let's chat.