cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Numbers

irwinboi1981
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have just signed up for service and ported my old phone number over from Bell Mobility Canada per the instructions on the self service menu. It worked great, I was able to text and call and it was my previous privers number. I few hours goes by and now I can call people and text people but I hav no number assigned. called ID comes up as My Name. and whn people try to text or call me it doesnt get through but  am able to text them and all them. does this mean the porting of my old number was unsuccessful? do I try to port it again. My old service is only good till midnight. I dont want to loos the number Ive had for 6 years....

9 REPLIES 9

irwinboi1981

I turn the phone off all night last night and Im still unable to recieve calls, but I can make them. I can text people too but they dont to see my number which is odd it still just says "Adam Irwin" and no number

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How did you restart your phone?  Did you shut it down and then cold boot it, or did you just hit a "Restart" button (some phones have this feature)?

When I ported my number from Bell Mobility I had to reboot a couple of times before I could receive calls.  I believe it took between 15-30 minutes for everything to work properly.  Calling out worked almost right away, but receiving calls took 15-30 minutes and a couple of reboots.

Rowbot

The port is not 100% complete until you recieve an SMS from Public Mobile informing you.

@irwinboi1981 wrote:

I just restarted the phone, and still isnt working 😞

Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

If you have not contacted the moderator team yet, then it is time to seek their assistance to see if the port needs to be resubmitted.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

The bad news is that moderator team response time is 2-3 days.  Hopefully the fact that things seems to be disconnected at the Bell end means that you don't need to try and keep the account alive at the other end while this porting process is sorted out. 

irwinboi1981

I just restarted the phone, and still isnt working 😞

@irwinboi1981 wrote:

Yes it is showing up on m self service page. I have called the number from my house phone and and it says the number is no longer in service... but was working erlier. When I call from my cell phone to my house i just says "Adam Irwin" and nothing more. 

I forgot to ask, have you rebooted your phone recently?  When number ports complete, a reboot is required to sync the phone with the network changes. 

irwinboi1981

Yes it is showing up on m self service page. I have called the number from my house phone and and it says the number is no longer in service... but was working erlier. When I call from my cell phone to my house i just says "Adam Irwin" and nothing more. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@irwinboi1981, one sure way to tell whether the port went through is by trying the old service to see if it is working.  If it is the port did not reach Bell.  Even if the old service has stopped working, there is still a chance the port is stuck at the Public Mobile end.  Try calling your number from a different line to see what happens. 

BTW, in a partially stuck port, the number showing on the Public Mobile end is not totally accurate.  The fact that you submitted a port will allow the Telus system to acknowledge the number is associated with your account.  That does not mean the other carrier systems are on board.  A successful port really means all the carrier systems are on the same page. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@irwinboi1981 wrote:

I have just signed up for service and ported my old phone number over from Bell Mobility Canada per the instructions on the self service menu. It worked great, I was able to text and call and it was my previous privers number. I few hours goes by and now I can call people and text people but I hav no number assigned. called ID comes up as My Name. and whn people try to text or call me it doesnt get through but  am able to text them and all them. does this mean the porting of my old number was unsuccessful? do I try to port it again. My old service is only good till midnight. I dont want to loos the number Ive had for 6 years....

Is your Bell SIM still active?

If yes, continue to use it until it stops working.

Login to your self-serve account.  Click on the [Plan and Add-Ons] tb on the top.  Is your Bell phone number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?

Need Help? Let's chat.