cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port protection

Whiskeybuzz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Last year someone used our number for spam calls. How to I request port protection through public mobile?

6 REPLIES 6

Hey, it’s Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbot ... and type in “unauthorized port”. This will put you in touch with our moderator team.

It's something, I guess.

I would prefer you were required to type "authorize port" within a certain timeframe (maybe 24 hours?) to permit the port, while no response would dismiss and abort the request. Because if you made the port request yourself then you'd have been instructed to wait for this message, if you didn't make the port request then you have no reason to expect this message and you're not obligated to hover near your inbox looking for intruder warnings. As in, number will not port unless you take action, mere inaction will disallow it. What happens if your phone isn't on the network when the message arrives, what happens if you just can't/won't check your messages until long afterwards - your lack of response is enough to approve and authorize the port?

I would also prefer communicating through Self-Serve. Not through stupid Simon bot. Anyone can chat with the bot, he's available to babble to the whole world, he'll even babble with other bots. But only someone with your Self-Serve password can login to your Self-Serve account. It's not failproof, of course, but the acount security layer is already there so why not actually use it for account-related things?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Whiskeybuzz wrote:

Last year someone used our number for spam calls. How to I request port protection through public mobile?

What you are saying is possibly your number was spoofed. There nothing you can do about it. And no one stole your number.....they just used it.  The government and Telcos have to get a handle on it. You can spoof a number from a VoIP Account. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Whiskeybuzz ,

It sounds like your phone number was spoofed.

Those fraudsters out there can mimic other people's phone number so that when they call someone your phone number shows up on the other person's incoming caller ID.

This happens, it sucks. Hopefully, your number gets dropped and stops getting used in this way.

I once got a call from someone that told me "someone called me from your number saying they were CRA". The caller who called me was nice and knew it was a scam, he just wanted to give me a heads up my number was spoofed.

haha, i kinda thought it was funny. But p***ed me off at the same time. Just happened the once (that I know of!)

Good Luck

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Whiskeybuzz change your name on your self service account.  It can be any name ie Daffy Duck. This prevents fraudelent porting.

This is PMs port protection 

Port Fraud Protection

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.The SMS text will read as follows: Hey, it’s Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbot via this link bit.ly/2GF1pHW and type in “unauthorized port”. This will put you in touch with our moderator team. Free msg.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Whiskeybuzz wrote:

No port protection yet at Public. They tried it but removed it.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is not offered but they do send you an SMS you can read about it on this link.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Need Help? Let's chat.