cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture messaging (MMS) doesn't work properly but Data is ok, what am I missing???

nnn666
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having problems sending/receiving picture messaging (MMS). I can't send out any and I can only randomly receive from some people but not others. My APN settings should be ok since there's no problem with data and I do occasionally get the one or two pictures. Settings were manually input from reading the info in the forums. Below is what I have configured:

name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
APN type: default,mms,supl (tried leaving it alone, also with just default as well. All types cannot send MMS)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4

all other fields left empty/default.

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

Boby_Desuza

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to prevent you from sending or receiving multimedia messages, you can try the following solutions:-

1. Check Cellular Data and Wi-Fi Connection:-
  -Ensure that you have an active cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. MMS requires a data connection to transmit      multimedia content.
2. Enable Mobile Data:-
  -Go to "Settings" > "Cellular" or "Mobile Data" and make sure that Cellular Data is turned on.
3. Check MMS Settings:-
  -Navigate to "Settings" > "Messages" > "MMS Messaging." Toggle the switch to turn MMS Messaging on.
4. Reset Network Settings:-
  -Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings." This will reset Wi-Fi networks and                          passwords,  cellular settings, and VPN settings. You will need to reconnect to Wi-Fi and re-enter Wi-Fi                      passwords  after doing this.

5. Check Carrier Settings:-
  -Sometimes, carrier-specific settings are required for MMS to work properly. Go to "Settings" > "General" >            "About." If a carrier update is available, a pop-up will appear. Follow the on-screen instructions to update              your carrier settings.

After trying these steps, check if the MMS messaging option is now available. If the problem persists, consider reaching out to more instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1xnk80XimU&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nnn666 did you try a factory reset, like I recommended back in January?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @nnn666,

thank you for reaching out to us !

As long as you have an active TEXT plan, you should be able to send/receive MMS messages. This is not account related, more device related and APN.

First and foremost,. please be sure that your cellular data is enabled when sending/receiving MMS.

Secondly, you'll need to verify that your APN has been properly configured. I invite you to visit this post on MMS settings: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Can-t-send-or-receive-MMS/td-p/67110/high...

Let us know how it goes !

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

nnn666

bumping up. still waiting for answer. been almost half a year!

1. Been a customer since nov. 2016

2. Did not have mms from any of the previous carriers.

3. Original number from Rogers > Wind > Speak Out. 

Openned 2 tickets (#3619-8620) & (#1336-4341) and been patiently waiting, this is getting overly annoying and becoming frustrating. MMS does not work on ANY device that I put the sim on. This is not a phone problem, but a carrier/systems problem. Please can a mod or someone actually look into my account???

srlawren

@nnn666 well that was a "quick and easy" thing to try at least.  So that leads us on to some further questions:

1) You registered in the community a week ago.  Have you been a PM customer only a short time?  

2) Did the phone work fine for MMS on your previous carrier?

3) Whom was the previous carrier?

One thing you could try would be a factory reset but of course that would erase all your data, so if you want to try that make sure you back up anything that you want to keep that isn't backed up.  

OR, do you have any other phones (unlocked, or locked to Telus/Koodo is fine) around that you could try out your SIM in?  Maybe try in a friend or family member's phone?  This would help narrow down account vs. phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nnn666

@srlawren tried using textra to send a picture, still does not work. 😞

nnn666

Currently using Google's Messenger. Not very interested in installing a brand new app just for mms since I only use it once in a blue moon. Will install and test to see just to make sure it's not the app.

srlawren

@nnn666 which app are you using for MMS?  Do you know what you have your MMS size limit set to in the app?  Have you tried a different app?  Several excellent ones are available from the Play Store including Google's own Messenger, popular Chomp SMS, and my personal choice the highly customizable Textra SMS.  Could you please try one of those and see if it makes a difference? 

nnn666

Still waiting for help here... it's been over a week without a response from a mod or a customer service email follow up. 😞

nnn666

Yup I totally understand that OS version is required for troubleshooting. My rant wasn't with you directly, just in case I get some auto advice that I've seen on other forums/posts and with my experience with customer service from the RoBeLus & Co. 😄

nnn666

I'm not sure what networks the other people who sent me the pictures are from since most of them are from Kijiji sellers sending me more info on their ads. It seems to be that I got them while outside of my home area (Toronto) - while travelling to Waterloo/Niagara Falls which is strange. Haven't gotten a picture in Toronto yet.

Phone wise, I don't have any extra lying around - my previous Samsung SIII screen/digitalizer broke. I'm assuming it's a network issue since I still get the random pictures here and there.

I will try with a friend's phone and see.

Thanks. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

When I ask about OS version, it's not intended to call anyone out for having stale software. Sometimes there may be known issues with certain software.  Knowing the hardware and software is part of the troubleshooting process.

Having said that, there is nothing obvious that jumps out of the page at me.  Your decision to get a moderator to look into the account end is a good idea.  You could try instilling a MMS app from the play store to see if that solves anything.  

One thing about MMS is that it's a very old form of communication from days gone by that really should be deprecated.  I believe there's has been upgrades to the protocol but not all carriers have adopted the changes.  That can cause some of the problems you are experiencing.

One last thing, I do have a one plus one myself.  It's no longer my daily driver, but it gets used from time to time.  I run slim marshmallow and I have not experienced any issues with MMS, not that I use it enough to be able to confirm that it works in all situations.  

mimmo

Just a curiosity the mms you get are they from a single. network? 

Also do you have access to another phone? To isolate a phone vs network issue. If you can send receive when sim is in a different phone, then we can better isolate a possible issue source.

nnn666

I'm using OnePlus ONE and mms + data are on. I get occasional mms from some contacts but not others. I can't send to anyone!

Thanks.

nnn666

I'm currently using the OnePlus ONE with original OS Cyanogen 11.0-XNPH05Q Android 4.4.4. It's a stable factory version/ROM (may or may not have security holes; but as far as I know, all hardware should work) and I don't feel the need to race out and update my OS to the latest versions when this one works fine.

Random rant in case someone decides to tell me to update my OS:

Unless there is actual edvidence that there is a problem with this version, I would like to withhold following the scripted response from most customer service personnel that the first step in troubleshooting is to upgrade to the newest version. I find that lazy troubleshooting and a lot of time doesn't fix any specific issue. Then you're back at square one and then they decide to escalate to an actual tech person that may or may not read from another pre determine script.

End rant.

Just sent PM a direct email, hopefully they can look at it specifically through their backend and see what's going on with the pictures that are being kept on their server and not downloading to my cell. Alternatively, if any official mods can help, that would be cool too! 😄

mimmo

Are you using an iPhone?  Make sure mms is enabled in settings .  Also data needs to be on for mms to work.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Everything looks in order.  I was going to suggest enabling mobile data, but since data works, that's not the problem.  What model of phone do you have, what operating system?  

Need Help? Let's chat.