cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone restricted

wetcoastsailor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New User, have gone through all the steps, phone is compatible (checked imei), account is set up, phone number is good, (goes to VM) sim is in phone, asks for restriction code, 1234 does not work --- solution? 

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Nice catch, @wetcoaster and @Anonymous!

@wetcoastsailor that's why I was asking both where you had checked compatibility, and what your model was.  I was thinking this was a possible scenario.  At least you now know what's what.

EDIT: @Alan_K @Brooke_C here's yet another example of the inaccurate IMEI checker on your site claiming another victim.  I know @Dave_M recently laid out 3 things your team is focusing on improving in the near future, but I'd sure love to see a replacement IMEI checker on your radar.  This is embarrassing.  Perhaps you could modify your checker so that it's clear it only checks for blacklisting, and then redirect people to willmyphonework.net for the actual compatibility check (assuming they don't offer an API or are refusing to partner with you)?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wetcoastsailor

Thanks for that, checked sim in a newer phone and as per your explanation, it worked. 

@wetcoastsailor wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Phone is not locked to another provider, was using a pay as you go sim previously (petro can). I insert the old sim screen boots and says no service (expected), I insert the new sim, phone boots to screen that says "phone restricted" next screen asks for a code. Can't get past this screen. Was assuming that perhaps there is an activation code I missed during activation process. Phone is an older Nokia 2720 and was never locked to a carrier.

@wetcoastsailor

It looks like you have fallen victim of the Public Mobile IMEI checker - it reported back that the phone is not stolen or otherwise blacklisted, but by the very little information I could find this phone only has 2G frequencies and therefore only works on the Rogers network until they discontinue the 2G network (in 2020, I think?).

Public Mobile operates on the Telus network, which only supports 3G and 4G devices.

So... you either have to go back to a provider on the Rogers network, or upgrade your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoastsailor, If it is the 2720 fold, described on this  page on GsmArena, it only supports 2G.  However Public Mobile runs on 3G & 4g(LTE).  There is no support for 2G.

wetcoastsailor

Thanks for the responses. Phone is not locked to another provider, was using a pay as you go sim previously (petro can). I insert the old sim screen boots and says no service (expected), I insert the new sim, phone boots to screen that says "phone restricted" next screen asks for a code. Can't get past this screen. Was assuming that perhaps there is an activation code I missed during activation process. Phone is an older Nokia 2720 and was never locked to a carrier.

popping

@wetcoastsailor

What do you mean by restriction code?

Is your phone ask for unlocked code?

@srlawren was guessing that your phone may be locked to your previous provider?

If yes, you can contact your previous provider to unlock your phone.

srlawren

@wetcoastsailor wrote:

New User, have gone through all the steps, phone is compatible (checked imei), account is set up, phone number is good, (goes to VM) sim is in phone, asks for restriction code, 1234 does not work --- solution? 

@wetcoastsailor two things:

1) where did you check compatibility?  Unfortunately, the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's site is unreliable and often produces false positives.  Did you happen to check on https://www.willmyphonework.net ? It's much more accurate. 

2) are you 100% sure your phone is not locked to another provider?  (Note: locked to Telus or Koodo is fine).  If you bought the phone from your previous provider, especially prior to Dec 2017, it probably came locked to them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@wetcoastsailor, I am not quite sure I understand the problem.  Under what condition are you asked for a restriction code?  I have never heard of the term restriction code.  What phone are we talking about here.  Just to confirm, everything looks good in the self serve account, it is active and has all the right plan features. 

Need Help? Let's chat.