cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM APP ?

yiatioxi-ok
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Since PM is self serve it is suprising that there is no phone app. Is there one in the works?  

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jarvar wrote:

@yiatioxi-ok

I don't think there is an app. However I think there is an app called Data Witness which helps track data usage on the Google Play Appstore that was created by a PM member. Other than that I would like to know if there is a PM phone app in the work as well.

DataWitness is pretty awesome in part because it's written and provided for free by community member @IWIK and partly because it does not send your usage data outside of your device.  More info on Data Witness for anyone interestinged can be found here.  And more info about why I wouldn't personally recommend My Data Manger can be found here and here (MDM privacy policy).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

I think you can call 611 and check your usage.

There is also a way to make a psydo app instructions are somewhere in the forums.

Edit found it https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

@mimmo yes, for Android devices.  There may be an equivalent for iPhone, but I'm not an iOS guy so don't really know for sure.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

I think you can call 611 and check your usage.

There is also a way to make a psydo app instructions are somewhere in the forums.

Edit found it https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ohitora

Had a Roger app before too which was useful in tracking minutes and data usage before. However I think you needed to have data to check it. So if it was a plan that didn't have data, wifi wouldn't work.

That being said, most of the Public Mobile plans have unlimited texting, then there's unlimited province wide and Canada wide calling. It either works or doesn't work so you don't usually run out of those. The data has a cap, but it's exactly like Koodo's Shockproof Data which stops once you reach your limit and won't go over unless you manually purchase an Add-on. 

I do believe that PM sends you a message by default when your data usage reaches 75%, 90% and 100%. More information could be found here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-data-usage/ta-p/152760

ohitora

Will try " iOS app called My Data Manager"-- thanks.

ohitora

That's sad, but then we can't have inexpensive plans and expect premium service.

ohitora

I think the Bell Mobility app is pretty good. I wish PM would make a simple app just good enough to check usage and be able to update the plans.

popping

I understand why a budget provider not spending money on app.

Is there any short code that we can use to get the usage?

Our competitor Chatr has the shrot code to get the usage.

Jarvar

@Pound

I use My Data Manager for IOS as well. But it was not developed by a PM member. That was the only reason I mentioned Data Witness. There is also My Data Manager for Android. I installed it for another family members phone. The advantage of the Android version is the ability to include zero rated apps which the IOS version does not.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As mentioned, while a great idea, there is no app or plan for one on the PM roadmap seemingly.

Pound

Had the same question, and researched for a while. No, there is not a PM app at the moment. 

To track data usage, I use an iOS app called My Data Manager, you can set your monthly data amount, amount already used, set plan renewal cycles (30-day cycle available, no 90-day cycle though), set data usage warning by the day and/or total percentage, see in app how much you have used today, and track which apps use how much data.

I've been comparing the usages shown in self-serve and in the said app, and they reconcile. It also means the usages indicated in self-serve is quite up-to-date, not like other carriers where they always indicate a four hour delay.

So I'd be OK with it if there is not an app to use at this moment. And I agree with one of the comments here, apps by a couple of carriers I used simply re-direct you to websites, which is not at all more convenient. 

Sometime after I joined Public Mobile in June of 2016, sister company Kodoo announced they were taking away the App they had.  According to a MobileSyrup article at the time, it was because subscribers preferred the website interface better.

I would not expect Public Mobile to ever go out and create one.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is rather counter intuitive that a service that leverages the online model does not have an app.  Back in the day when the labs forum existed, it was suggested many, many times.  No action was taken/considered.  It doesn't look like there will ever be an app. 

bridonca

If you have a decent web interface, you really do not need an app.  Let's be honest, what Canadian telco makes an app that is no more than lipstick on a pig?  They are universally awful!

mimmo

There is no app and no plans to develop an app.

Jarvar

@yiatioxi-ok

I don't think there is an app. However I think there is an app called Data Witness which helps track data usage on the Google Play Appstore that was created by a PM member. Other than that I would like to know if there is a PM phone app in the work as well.

Any idea on using Tapatalk with the Community also?

Great question!

Need Help? Let's chat.