cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over 500mb of difference in Data usage between my account and my phone

bds808
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For as long as I have noticed, my phone usage always shows higher than in my account.  This was with my previous provider as well as this one. This month the usage in my account is over 500mb more than what it shows on my phone. Anyone know why this could be? Could it actually be an error?

12 REPLIES 12

@bds808 

In your account you can click on "View Usage" under Change Plan.

It shows all calls, text and data events. The event you're looking for is Data Event "WEB". Add them up one by one.

Don't forget there is pages at the bottom so you have to go page by page. The sort feature does not work great so go through everything till the date your planned renewed.

Screenshot_20201102_153713.jpg

You also have your overview page when first logging in. Under My Data and Add-ons that show how much has been used this cycle and how much is left. It disappears when all used.

You can also click "View usage" under "Purchase add-ons".

bds808

"I did log into my account...where else would I get usage numbers from?"

Sorry, this sounded cheeky now that i reread it, but I'm really wondering where else i could get those numbers from in case I'm looking in the wrong place. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bds808 wrote:

I did log into my account...where else would I get usage numbers from?

My dates are set correctly in my phone. If this was the problem,  it would have been a problem in past months.

You data usage line on on the overview page after login.

I have a $15 plan with 250MB data.  I used 6.,4MB data out of my 250MB for my plan.

Please note that you data usage line will disappear if you used all your data for the current cycle.

100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk
14  /  100 MIN
1GB Promo
102.004  /  1024 MB
250 MB at 3G speed
6.437  /  250 MB

@bds808 

It's actually the other way around, i misunderstood, sorry

Do you have access to a different phone to test it with for couple of weeks.

It's not very likely that both Publicmobile and your old providers are measuring with such close error, it's more likely the phone counter. There may be some not accurate ones in the play store

bds808

The data counted on my phone is lower than in my account. 

bds808

I did log into my account...where else would I get usage numbers from?

My dates are set correctly in my phone. If this was the problem,  it would have been a problem in past months.

@kselmak wrote:

Any babies in the family? Grandparents are using mms heavily i noticed huge difference with theirs

True, if not sent using MMS as that data usage is not counted against your data allowance by PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@bds808  As for your phone itself. You may want to go through your settings and tweek them so it uses less data.

Example turn off wifi+ or Wifi assist which automatically switches back to data if wifi signal is weak or having issues.

Go through all your apps and turn background data off, set them to run only on wifi. 

Google maps if you use that. Download offline maps and set to run on wifi. You still get turn by turn directions but you won't get real time traffic which uses data.

Go in developer options and turn off "mobile data always on" (depending on the phone you have) 

Don't use iMessage or RCS or limit it. As that uses data or wifi and not traditional text system. Traditional system MMS is included. iMessage/RCS will use your data.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@bds808 

Any babies in the family? Grandparents are using mms heavily i noticed huge difference with theirs

Your phone doesn't know that data used for mms will not be counted against your allowance

But @NDesai is right, difference accumulate and those with larger plans that use it heavier may have substantial difference in those couple days

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@bds808 PM plans are based on 30 days and your phone settings will be based on a month so make sure you are counting from the day renewal took place. Log in to your self-serve account and check the usage. Its hard to count, but 500 MB of difference should be noticeable. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

To get your exact usage you should log into your account and look under my data and add-ons. That will show how much you used and have left.

Your phone usage trackers may not be set correct since PM is 30 day plans and not by month.

Need Help? Let's chat.