Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing calls to 778-580-4001

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Community Members,

I am a new user since March 23.

I checked my usage history and noticed 5 outgoing calls to 778-580-4001. The 5 separate calls ranged anywhere from 22 seconds to 3:37 for a total of 5:45 minutes.  These calls were all made on March 27.

Does anyone know what this is and why it's happening?

How is possible that I or my phone is making automated calls to that number?

There are no outgoing calls showing in "Recents".

I am on a 100 minute Canada wide plan ($15 plan) so every minute is valuable.

I was previously a prepaid Telus user and my spouse is on the Koodo network.

Thanks for your help.

50 REPLIES 50

HI @guobeiwu1 

it's ok.  the 4001 number is just Voicemail.  the Usage will track calls going to VM , too.  

guobeiwu1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the exact same problem. 

@sunrain wrote:

So the moral of the story is that you should answer all calls from numbers you don't recognize so that you don't waste minutes for the call to go to voicemail, right? 

Correct.... Even if you just answer and then hang up.

If you reprogram your conditional call forwards to use a 3rd party voicemail service like youmail.com, you can have voicemails e-mailed to you with a mp3 attachment and text transcription so you don't have to call in either. You can even have them emailed to your phone via MMS if you are worried about data usage. (phonenum@mms.mb.telus.com) - attachments even come through.

The other option is setting the conditional call forwarding action specifically for when you decline calls to go to somewhere other than your voicemail. When you see a call that you are sure is a spam/junk call just choose the decline option. If you ignore it - it will still go to voicemail as usual. (Use vol up/down to mute the ringing on android) For example, a dead-end like 0000000000, or Lenny the telemarketer time-wasting bot at 226-444-SPAM. Program by dialing the *67 code:

*67*0000000000#

*67*2264447726#

reset back to default public mobile voicemail with ##67#

When you

@sunrain wrote:

So the moral of the story is that you should answer all calls from numbers you don't recognize so that you don't waste minutes for the call to go to voicemail, right? 

HI@sunrain   shouldn't you  answer the call  to avoid the call going to voicemail?  Even with the $15 plan, incoming minutes are free.  Unless you are on the $10 plan

@sunrain    You can avoid using your minutes (if on the limited mins plan) by using another phone (landline?) to retrieve your voicemail calls too.    OTOH, unless you're getting inundated with many unfamiliar numbers, then retrieving the call via voicemail shouldn't be too much of problem, especially if you've also added the 500 mins add-on to supplement your plan.

sunrain

@David68 wrote:

How do I know if it counts towards my 100 minutes a month? It does show as usage type minutes in Usage History.

Calls dropping to voicemail do not use your minutes. Call forwarding in general does not use your minutes, nor any incoming calls.

You are correct that the Usage History does not indicate whether a call uses minutes or not. The only way to see is watch the minutes used on the overview page after a call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@David68 : It doesn't use the minutes. The front page counter is the one that matters. And it's almost immediate. It might increment up momentarily and then drop back down.

David68

How do I know if it counts towards my 100 minutes a month? It does show as usage type minutes in Usage History.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@David68 : When people call you and it drops to voicemail, it uses call forwarding to that number.

David68

I have noticed several calls out to 778-580-4001 that I did not make too. Have you learned what this is about?

@sbrom 

You can dial your own number as well or that number and remotely access your voicemail box if any messages are there. You will need your 4 digit voicemail PIN.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sbrom wrote:

My SIM card is sitting in a box unused at the moment yet everyday it makes a call to 778-580-4001.

how does it do that?

@sbrom hi that is only your voicemail number someone must have left you message 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sbrom wrote:

My SIM card is sitting in a box unused at the moment yet everyday it makes a call to 778-580-4001.

how does it do that?

@sbrom 

Someone is calling your number and of course it's dropping to voicemail. Voicemail uses call forwarding. So it looks like an outgoing call to the voicemail access number. You should be able to see the caller id if exposed. It could be spoofed though.

sbrom

how does it do that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LesleyS wrote:

Thank you.......I have a mod looking into my issue and it has been confirmed that VMs that are left are being counted as outgoing usage.  Issue has been escalated but not resolved...it took a few messages to the mods before they understood my issue....... 

Ah. That's a different factor. That IS controllable by you. It's under call forwarding in your dialer. Set the three call forwarding options to an ON access number. (not the overall call forwarding)

LesleyS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can assure you that usage does show that minutes have depleted

LesleyS

Thank you.......I have a mod looking into my issue and it has been confirmed that VMs that are left are being counted as outgoing usage.  Issue has been escalated but not resolved...it took a few messages to the mods before they understood my issue....... 

@LesleyS wrote:

Nope, not correct. Voice messages (that I have not accessed) are shown as outgoing calls and are being counted as my outgoing minutes have been reduced

Incoming calls that you do not answer, that are subsequently forwarded to your voicemail will show in the usage log as a call from your number to one of the voicemail access numbers (usually ending in *4001), but they do not consume your minutes.

@gblackmawrote:

would it be possible for you to post a 30 day cycle screenshot of your usage history?

Unfortunately, there is nothing in that call log to differentiate those calls as not having used minutes, but I can assure you if you test you will see the minutes used on the "Overview" page do not increase.

If someone calls, you don't answer, they are forwarded to your voicemail, but then hang up without leaving a message it will still show a short duration call to the voicemail number ("from" your number) in the usage history.

@LesleyS would it be possible for you to post a 30 day cycle screenshot of your usage history? Please omit all personal information.  Or if you feel uncomfortable with doing this. Please contact a moderator and ask them to to look into it. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

LesleyS

Nope, not correct. Voice messages (that I have not accessed) are shown as outgoing calls and are being counted as my outgoing minutes have been reduced

@LesleyS wrote:

I am having the exact same issue. When someone leaves a VM my minutes are being used and I am not accessing VM from my phone. I don't see how that could possibly be called an outgoing call. Not happy with Public mobile

That's just the way the usage is recorded. Ignore the outgoing call part. It doesn't consume any minutes on a limited minute calling plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LesleyS wrote:

I am having the exact same issue. When someone leaves a VM my minutes are being used and I am not accessing VM from my phone. I don't see how that could possibly be called an outgoing call. Not happy with Public mobile

@LesleyS 

Are you going down into your usage details? Or are you looking at the counter on the front overview page?

Dropping to voicemail uses call forwarding. But it shouldn't be consuming minutes.

LesleyS

@88cranston It'll say outgoing when someone calls you and gets voicemail. It's not an outgoing call and doesn't use minutes.

88cranston

I noticed this today. 

AF35A894-F51B-4854-BE0B-8A8700BEF0A0.jpeg

I see 7785804001 is for voicemail. 

I did did not have a voicemail on my phone. 

I did not check my voicemail. 

This call shows as outgoing.....meaning that I phoned to check my voicemail?

This call reduces my useable minutes by 1 minute?

Do I loose minutes when some one leaves a message or is that included as an incoming call?

In the transaction history for OUTGOING calls are any of them excluded from  being a reduction of minutes used? Like calls to an 800 number or?

I am not worried about it but just looking for clarification. Are there any others here that have the call showing but never callled?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bottomshelf wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Response from moderator - Camelia_M

You use minutes every time you call your voicemail and listen to the messages, if you do not access it, you don't use minutes even if  messages are deposited.

However, as at the writing of this email, I have never received a response regarding my "phantom" calls to access my voicemail.  That is, there are 5 minutes worth of calls on my voicemail that I have never accessed yet I have been charged.

@Bottomshelf 

And you have never provided screen snips of your call details. There may be several pages. Blank out all the originating numbers. Blank out any of the numbers that are *not* that voicemail access number your phone is using. If you happen to have 778 581 4001 or 4002 or 580 4002 that might also be interesting to know.

Another of the lines I work with has the $15 plan. It does NOT consume minutes for voicemails deposited.

NameVoice Limit# of Minutes UsedRemaining MinutesStatus
100 minutes Limited Canada-Wide Talk100892Active

Here is the phone usage log:

05/04/2019 1:39Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:43 Minutes$0.00
05/04/2019 4:13Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx604xxxxxxxBRITISH COLUMBIABC0:00:35 Minutes$0.00
28/03/2019 2:45Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx778xxxxxxxBRITISH COLUMBIABC0:01:05 Minutes$0.00

27/03/2019 1:15Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:42 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 9:11Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001BRITISH COLUMBIABC0:00:24 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 12:07Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:40 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 7:18Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001BRITISH COLUMBIABC0:03:37 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 10:17Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:22 Minutes$0.00

Any idea how Public Mobile arrived at 8 minutes usage?    I was under the impression that minutes were rounded up to the next nearest minute.  If that's the case, it should be more than 8 minutes.

Thanks.

I can see it maybe getting to 7. That 3:37 to voicemail was probably you setting it up. You've obscured a couple destination numbers so that's 0:35 and 1:05. 4 + 1 + 2 = 7. Did you possibly check your voicemail once? No other pages of activity?

Bottomshelf

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bottomshelf wrote:

You use minutes every time you call your voicemail and listen to the messages, if you do not access it, you don't use minutes even if  messages are deposited.

However, as at the writing of this email, I have never received a response regarding my "phantom" calls to access my voicemail.  That is, there are 5 minutes worth of calls on my voicemail that I have never accessed yet I have been charged.

@Bottomshelf 

And you have never provided screen snips of your call details. There may be several pages. Blank out all the originating numbers. Blank out any of the numbers that are *not* that voicemail access number your phone is using. If you happen to have 778 581 4001 or 4002 or 580 4002 that might also be interesting to know.

Another of the lines I work with has the $15 plan. It does NOT consume minutes for voicemails deposited.

NameVoice Limit# of Minutes UsedRemaining MinutesStatus
100 minutes Limited Canada-Wide Talk100892Active

Here is the phone usage log:

05/04/2019 1:39Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:43 Minutes$0.00
05/04/2019 4:13Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx604xxxxxxxBRITISH COLUMBIABC0:00:35 Minutes$0.00
28/03/2019 2:45Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx778xxxxxxxBRITISH COLUMBIABC0:01:05 Minutes$0.00

27/03/2019 1:15Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:42 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 9:11Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001BRITISH COLUMBIABC0:00:24 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 12:07Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:40 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 7:18Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001BRITISH COLUMBIABC0:03:37 Minutes$0.00
27/03/2019 10:17Outgoing Call604xxxxxxx7785804001AllBC0:00:22 Minutes$0.00

Any idea how Public Mobile arrived at 8 minutes usage?    I was under the impression that minutes were rounded up to the next nearest minute.  If that's the case, it should be more than 8 minutes.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bottomshelf wrote:

@Bottomshelf 

Need Help? Let's chat.