cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online activation asking for phone serial number but won't accept it

Niveks73
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son is trying to activate with public mobile. He is currently with Rogers. When it asks for his phone serial number it won't accept it, the field keeps going blank. Any help would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

TimmyHoo23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I find it easiest to just put in the old account number and not worry about the phone's info

KatMen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched from Rogers and didn't have any issues with my IMEI number, try dialing *#06#

that will bring up his IMEI number. If that doesn't work maybe try restarting the process. Good luck!

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Niveks73 wrote:

My son is trying to activate with public mobile. He is currently with Rogers. When it asks for his phone serial number it won't accept it, the field keeps going blank. Any help would be appreciated.

the number you are looking for is the IME#, the wording on Public Mobile is wrong I noticed this when I activated my numbers. 

Dial *#06# to get that number from your phone. 

Make sure your phone is unlocked as well. 

Cheers

@Niveks73 wrote:

@geopublic That is why he is changing. Help dad save some money but more importantly help him go from $120 a month phone bill to $45. He asked me a week ago about changing and I said hold off as they have flash sales at times and then this one popped up. 

@Niveks73 👍🙂

Niveks73

@geopublic That is why he is changing. Help dad save some money but more importantly help him go from $120 a month phone bill to $45. He asked me a week ago about changing and I said hold off as they have flash sales at times and then this one popped up. 

@Niveks73 wrote:

Thank you @geopublic he will try again when he is home from work. He just messaged me to say the error message now said the service provider was rejecting it. I showed him what you said and his reply was "Ahh ok" 

@Niveks73  Don't forget to give him your referral code so he can receive the $10 bonus credit and also take advantage of the PM flash sale:

fs.PNG

** Limited time Flash Sale. **

Activate on any plan $25/month or higher and get your next 30 days for $0 online only*. Activate by May 22nd click here submit your email between May 5-7, 2020. Make sure to activate with this email address by May 22, 2020

Niveks73

Thank you. I have sent him what you have said. Hopefully he gets it working. 

Niveks73

He is trying to port his rogers number over to Public Mobile. He is at work so I am chatting with him via text and posting here. I have sent him what you said. Hopefully he figures it out. 

Niveks73

Thank you @geopublic he will try again when he is home from work. He just messaged me to say the error message now said the service provider was rejecting it. I showed him what you said and his reply was "Ahh ok" 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Niveks73 wrote:

@Niveks73  If your porting in from Rogers best to just use:

1. Rogers account number
  2. Name on the Rogers account
  3. Rogers phone number

Do not include IMEI or PIN as it just will increase the chances of something going wrong.

@Niveks73 wrote:

Online account activation doesn't require the customer to enter IMEI.  There is a compatibility check tool, but you don't have to use it. The only time I recall of the customer being asked for the IMEI would be on the number porting form. Are you trying to port a number in?

Also, please note that Public Mobile is not actually asking for the serial number, but rather the IMEI which is entirely numerical.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Niveks73 Try the imei number *#06# on his phone. Also make sure the phone is unlocked before leaving Rogers and that there is no porting block. 

Need Help? Let's chat.