cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving incoming SMS

anehra
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have not received an incoming SMS message in nearly 48 hours. All of my outgoing SMS are successfully sent and received. I have disconnected and reconnected to the Public Mobile network, restarted my phone, checked for updates to the default Messages (by Google) app and tried reinserting my SIM card.

I am running Android 10 with December security patch on a Pixel 3a.

Possibly related, I recently traveled to the US but my texting and calling add-on only kicked in on the last day of my trip meaning I received a bunch of messages all at once. Those add-ons are just expiring and now I can't seem to receive any SMS.

I have searched for a solution here extensively but am all out of ideas. Can someone help by looking at my account?

9 REPLIES 9

BrianBToronto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe it's related to texts going outside the Telus group of companies.  I friend on Koodo sent me a text and my reply got through.  It seems to from Bell/Rogers etc. are not getting through.

I suspect an issue with the MSM servers on the Telus network not functioning properly.  Telus/Public Mobile and Koodo are the same network I believe.

I have an active account with my next 3 month payment due at the end of December.  

Thanks for your help.  I'll hope that Public Mobile & Telus resolve this soon becaise text is my preferred communication especially for out of province contacts.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BrianBToronto wrote:

Since yesterday (Dec 7, 2019) I have been unable to send or receive sms text messages on my phone.  I have not travelled outside Toronto.  I shut down and restarted my phone but this did notresolve the issue.  Are others having the same experience today?

You may have account provision issue.  Adding $1 to your account may trigger PM server to provision your account.  If this does not work, the $1 still stays in your account and use during your next renewal date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrianBToronto wrote:

Since yesterday (Dec 7, 2019) I have been unable to send or receive sms text messages on my phone.  I have not travelled outside Toronto.  I shut down and restarted my phone but this did notresolve the issue.  Are others having the same experience today?

Which plan are you on?

Is your account status active?

So as not to be sending notification emails to the OP of this thread with their similar but different question...perhaps you could make your own thread.

totaltw

My personal experience with the same issue. I could be off a few hours but it certainly was longer than 24. 

BrianBToronto

@totaltw wrote:

After being in the states for a period of time, it will take 24-72 hours for everything to work properly on this side of the boarder. I had the same problem back in April when I was in Detroit... Seemingly time fixed all issuss

@totaltw  Incorrect, the issue fixes itself within 24 hours where did you get 72 hours from?

totaltw

After being in the states for a period of time, it will take 24-72 hours for everything to work properly on this side of the boarder. I had the same problem back in April when I was in Detroit... Seemingly time fixed all issuss

This may be snake oil, or perhaps time solved this users issue while they attempted these steps, but it won't hurt to carefully (bearing in mind your technical level) try some of these steps. Enabling 3G definitely shouldnt hurt anything.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/US-Roaming-Fix-Turn-off-LTE/m-p/450154/...

Let us know how this turns out as I don't believe there is any known fix to it, as of today. However, I think PM has indicated that they are working on something that MAY be promising. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@anehra wrote:

I have not received an incoming SMS message in nearly 48 hours. All of my outgoing SMS are successfully sent and received. I have disconnected and reconnected to the Public Mobile network, restarted my phone, checked for updates to the default Messages (by Google) app and tried reinserting my SIM card.

I am running Android 10 with December security patch on a Pixel 3a.

Possibly related, I recently traveled to the US but my texting and calling add-on only kicked in on the last day of my trip meaning I received a bunch of messages all at once. Those add-ons are just expiring and now I can't seem to receive any SMS.

I have searched for a solution here extensively but am all out of ideas. Can someone help by looking at my account?

Once you get home from US and when the 10 Day US Roaming add-on expires...for about 24 hours your plan texting feature won't work. After that time it should go back to normal. This is a known glitch that PM has said they'd fix but so far no luck. Cycle phone off / on occasionally throught the day.

You should also message the moderators to see if they could fix it ahead of the 24 hour time. Click the ? in lower right side of page to start process of moderator assistance. Type "contact modertaor" then follow instructions. They been busy so you might not hear back before your phone self corrects.

Need Help? Let's chat.