cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving SMS text messages

greifr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with PM several years with no issues but I discovered that at some point in the day today I stopped recieving sms texts. I can still send them and I can still make and recieve calls, I just can't recieved them. I rebooted my phone, I took out the sim and replaced it but nothing helps. Also checked the apn settings. Not sure what's up. Phone is a OnePlus 5t running Oreo.

8 REPLIES 8

greifr

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned, this is the first time I've had an issue on PM, the first thing I tried  before posting was the help link that led to a ''bot". It was the "bot" that suggested I check my apn settings ( I didn't know what apn settings were prior to this). The bot also suggested I reboot and take out my sim. Like you said though, it's time they fix a known issue.

@greifr wrote:

I've been with PM several years with no issues but I discovered that at some point in the day today I stopped recieving sms texts. I can still send them and I can still make and recieve calls, I just can't recieved them. I rebooted my phone, I took out the sim and replaced it but nothing helps. Also checked the apn settings. Not sure what's up. Phone is a OnePlus 5t running Oreo.

There's never a need to do anything with APN settings for SMS.  The two are entirely unrelated.

The seting that controls the sending of text messages is the SMSC setting.  However, that only controls outgoing texts.  The setting could be set incorrectly and you would still receive your text messages.

For problems receiving text messages, the only phone related things that I can think of are of badly programmed software, text messages being blocked from certain contacts, or perhaps the app that you are using for viewing text messages are disabled.  All those are highly improtable though, and odds are, there's a problem at either the account or network level.

As for the link between U.S. roaming add-ons and text messaging failures, it's really about time that Public Mobile fix this for good.

@Anonymous wrote:

@greifr wrote:

Ok thanks, that's a drag but I think I will wait for 24 to 48 hours and see if it clears.

Thanks alot for your help.

@greifr

All the regulars here would be very interested in whatever result you get trying the lost/stolen trick under this scenario. It won't harm anything. It's just "oh where's my phone did I leave it at the store" and protecting it from unwanted use. And then "oh there it is". And calling it found.

Agreed it turns your sim off and back on just so it can't be used, but do totally understand people not wanting to take on anything that may create more issues from a system that has already failed them

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@greifr wrote:

Ok thanks, that's a drag but I think I will wait for 24 to 48 hours and see if it clears.

@greifr

All the regulars here would be very interested in whatever result you get trying the lost/stolen trick under this scenario. It won't harm anything. It's just "oh where's my phone did I leave it at the store" and protecting it from unwanted use. And then "oh there it is". And calling it found.

greifr

@greifr wrote:

Yes, just back and had a US roaming package which expires tomorrow I think. Is there a fix?

It usually only happens after the addon expires.  THe mods can clear it but they are taking around 48 hours to respond.  It does clear itself in about 24 hours but there has been a recent trick people have been recommending and I wonder if it would work for this.  It is to login to self serve and go to lost or stolen phone and report it lost this will deactivate your sim wait around 5 minutes then log back in and go and put in that your phone is found and that reactivates the sim.  What I am hoping for is that it will give your plan a kickstart and get your text working again.  If you see that the addon is still listed that means it didn't clear and you will need the assistance of the mods or for it to clear itself.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

greifr

Yes, just back and had a US roaming package which expires tomorrow I think. Is there a fix?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@greifr wrote:

Did you recently go to the US and need to purchase a US Roaming Package?  IF that is the case it is a known issue that at the expiry of the plan it doesn't clear the addon section right away and for some reason creates an issue with receiving texts.

Need Help? Let's chat.