cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dad messed up

Rustynayl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Sooo... I told my dad to get my help once his sim arrived, but he decided to do it himself.... Long story short, he accidentally ported over his home phone to PM instead of his cell phone... Lol
I'm hoping a mod can help out with this? Not sure how to tag mods on here.
30 REPLIES 30

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

@imm1304 wrote:

@will13am I agree.  This post is a great example of the PM experience.. resolving a fairly complex issue just fine with minmal time/effort from the customer.  

I have been saying it for a couple of years that I prefer a reliable online only customer service model over any phone support. There really isn't much that requires my live, real-time, interaction with support staff in order to keep a functional cellular service.  

I prefer to type my help request and be free to do other things while my request is taken care of. Couple of hours of downtime on that very rare occasion when something goes wrong is not a deal breaker for most people.  Besides, the call-centers don't always result in immediate solutions either.. the hold times, the trasfers between departments.. the scheduled call-backs.. all of that takes up more time than people realize.  

It's an unfortunate fact that call centers offer those without a gram of patience immediate relief because they can discharge their venom at a live agent.  It's far better to have a handful of knowledgeable staff on hand than a large room full of bums in chairs.

That and most of them do nothing but read for a script and don't care whether they help or not. Also depending on which it is they will also try and up-sell over solving the problem.

@imm1304 wrote:

@will13am I agree.  This post is a great example of the PM experience.. resolving a fairly complex issue just fine with minmal time/effort from the customer.  

I have been saying it for a couple of years that I prefer a reliable online only customer service model over any phone support. There really isn't much that requires my live, real-time, interaction with support staff in order to keep a functional cellular service.  

I prefer to type my help request and be free to do other things while my request is taken care of. Couple of hours of downtime on that very rare occasion when something goes wrong is not a deal breaker for most people.  Besides, the call-centers don't always result in immediate solutions either.. the hold times, the trasfers between departments.. the scheduled call-backs.. all of that takes up more time than people realize.  

It's an unfortunate fact that call centers offer those without a gram of patience immediate relief because they can discharge their venom at a live agent.  It's far better to have a handful of knowledgeable staff on hand than a large room full of bums in chairs.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thank you for the feedback @will13am @imm1304 🙂 

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This thread should be stickied as a poster for great support.  In addition to addressing the customer problem, we get an education on the porting process.  No call center can offer this level of unparalleled customer service!  Keep up the good work @Mary_M!

SD08

@Mary_M wrote:

I couldn't tell you exactly how the system calculates priority, but messages are placed in order from oldest to last. Even though everything goes into the queue, tagging moderators makes it more evident that assistance is required.  Sorry, I can't really provide specifics - that would be for the developers @SD08

Okay.  Thanks, Mary.   Smiley Happy

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

I couldn't tell you exactly how the system calculates priority, but messages are placed in order from oldest to last. Even though everything goes into the queue, tagging moderators makes it more evident that assistance is required.  Sorry, I can't really provide specifics - that would be for the developers @SD08

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

SD08

@Mary_M wrote:

@everything going into a queue - and as moderators, we need to go through everything in case something needs to be removed, modified, moved, etc @ SDO8

Okay, but the posts that contain a moderator tag have some higher priority in the queue than posts that don't, right?  Otherwise, there wouldn't be much effect to tagging?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

everything goes into a queue - and as moderators, we need to go through everything in case something needs to be removed, modified, moved, etc @ SDO8

SD08

@Mary_M

Do you mean even the posts that are not requesting help are also put into a queue?  Sometimes members post topics that are just general comments and don't have an issue to solve.  Are you required to read or at least look at all these too?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

In all cases, we get notified - all posts, comments, tags and private message fall into a queue @SD08 🙂

SD08

@Mary_M

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  So, time is of the essence in cases like this.  Therefore, we should both tag a moderator and have the customer send a private message, as that increases the odds of making contact sooner, from either side.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thank you for the update @Rustynayl

@NDesai, everything is taken care of already 🙂

Cheers everyone - have a great weekend ❤️

Mary

Rustynayl

Hey guys, we were pretty lucky. As mary mentioned, it takes a while for a home phone number to port over, so she was able to cancel that before it was complete... meaning my dad's home line is now a home line again, and the cell number he originally intended to use is now on PM. All is good! 🙂

Thanks Mary, appreciate your response. 

I hope OP gives his response within the time frame and that will save him from a lot worst trouble.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @NDesai and @SD08,

The solution may be quite complicated as it really depends on the situation. Since a landline port take 48 hours to complete, we would be able to cancel the request (if it is not completed and if permitted, within the first 24 hours) and assign a new number. If the port gets completed before having the chance to cancel the request, he/she would need to port that number back out and re-activate a new PM account. 

Cellphone line would most probably require porting back out to the OSP since they are completed within 2 hours (no time to cancel the request)

I hope this makes sense 🙂

Mary

SD08

@NDesai wrote:

@Mary_M If possible, we would love to hear the possible solution in this case for future reference. 

I second that.

@Mary_M If possible, we would love to hear the possible solution in this case for future reference. 

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Rustynayl,

Thank you for contacting us on our awesome community!

You've come to the right place for help, and I do have some good news for you - simply check your private messages 😄

Cheers,

Mary

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I wound up doing the same thing back in November when I joined & ported from Rogers. I had planned on porting my Koodo number & had my home on webform as the alternate.  But I was getting errors & spinning wheels until it seemed to go through - only to realize the next day that it was porting my land line number (of like 30 years).

I was unable to actually stop the port of landline even though I tried to contact Shaw & PM the next day & landline ports take a week or more. However, that was back during crazy season where response time slipped & and took a week to hear back.... but despite all that ...

MaryM & Caroline - were able to time my Koodo port to PM later on the same day as Shaw ported my landline back. So I was without service for mere hour or two. This happened about 2 weeks after the initial port as landline ports (either way) take about a week as it has to go through some coordinating agency. 

Unfortunately as someone above mentioned, when Shaw ported the number back, my PM account got closed (seems to be automatic) & they had to create a new one but not to worry as able to keep the amazing fall promo that I had before. Only downside is that by closing my PM account - I lost my friends rewards as they are connected to an account & when it gets closed they are gone & can't be added back to the new account as the friends are now already PM members & can't refer... if u follow the logic.

For landline when the "wrong port" went through & while waiting for the port back, Shaw gave me a temp number for the week so I had landline service.

However, service is now very fast - so they might have some suggestions to avoid the minor inconveniences or cancel the port request.  ANother option is if you don't care about the landline number, then you could contact the company, let them know so they can give you a new number for you number once port goes through. Then once it goes through & landline number is at PM, then port the number you had planned in the first place. ANd you get to keep the same PM account (& refer a friend rewards).

If you want to keep the landline # (as i did because I'd had mine so long & everyone knows it) - then hopefully they might have a solution with easiest being cancelling the port.

If port is not cancellable & you want to keep it - make sure you don't do another port -or it might cancel that number & then it's not available to port back to the landline company...

Phew.  

Yes it was a bit confusing & nervous week as no-one is sure when landline ports go through & I wanted to keep services, fall promo plan & the long time landline number.

Anyway - best of luck...

SD08

PM should just skip asking for alternate number, especially in the porting section, as this is unnecessary for porting and sometimes confuses customers. At least, they should add a note explaining what it's for if they're going to include that field.

I'm sure there is a process for reversing a number port but I believe that's for cases of an unauthorized port or a carrier mistake.

Since this port seems to have been fully authorized (although by mistake), the only thing that might be able to be done would be to port the number back to the landline provider.  As your landline account would have been automaticlaly closed out, you may have to open a new account with the landline provider.  That part itself isn't all that difficult but it's a process that your dad might have initiate himself.

If you port the phone number back to the landline provider, your Public Mobile account will automatically get cancelled. This is where Public's moderators come in to play.  You'll have to see if they can/are allowed to open a new account for you and apply a credit so that the plan for your first billing cycle is marked as already paid. 

On second thought, I am wondering if this could be the old "alternate number bug" that a few people encounterd.  I thought it was all user error at first but the story repeated itself a few times, so there's some speculaton that Public was erroneously porting in the alternate contact phone number by mistake.  If that's what happened, it'll be up to Public to get this fixed for you.

Rustynayl

I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for all your help so far!

imm1304

@Rustynayl, having sent a PM to Shazia is enough.  Whoever is online tomorrow morning will see that message.  I just suggested Mary based on my experience of seeing her online on Saturdays.  

Do post an update later tomorrow with hopefully some good news.  🙂

Rustynayl

I already PMed @Shazia_K. I could PM Mary but I'm guessing they don't like it when we message multiple mods about the same issue, right?

imm1304

Hi @Rustynayl,

Sorry to hear about the tricky situation.  Its best that you start by sending a private message to @Mary_M right now.  Explain in detail and include the phone numbers and relevant info.  Rest assured that Mary or whoever is working tomorrow will do everything possible to help you... I just hope this is still within the mods' powers to fix.  

Hang in there.. its encouraging that the home phone line is also with the parent company Telus.

Rustynayl
That's true eh. I guess we'll wait to hear from the mods, but at least that's an option.

@Rustynayl If you port out the home phone number back, the public mobile account will be deactivated it self. In this case, you will need new sim and open new account again. 

Rustynayl
Thanks. Yeah I'm hoping pm can atleast switch everything to the number he intended, and then my dad can ask Telus to reconnect his home phone.... Ohhh boy

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I am not sure what can be done here as your dad's home phone line account probably got deactivated if port was successful. 

I ll tag a mod for you so you get the help you need. @Mary_M

Good Luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.