cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: My SIM card seems abnormal. I want to replace it.

I also used their SIM cards on my mobile phone. They are all normal. So I think the issue is due to my SIM card.

Mayor / Maire

@rogerrong wrote:

I also used their SIM cards on my mobile phone. They are all normal. So I think the issue is due to my SIM card.

@rogerrong  If that's the case the it could be that your account hasn't been provisioned properly. Best to contact the Public moderator team. Describe all the details and they will troubleshoot it for you.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Thank you for your help.

Mayor / Maire

XiaoMi phones run a proprietary version of Android OS which may not always be fully compatible with standard services.
XiaoMi 8 hardware specs apparently do not support all Public Mobile (Telus) radio frequencies and cellular bands. So they may not provide adequate QoS with all Telus towers.
There are apparently at least four versions of the device (intended for different regions) but specs aren't all available online.

Try cleaning the electrical contacts on your SIM card - and in the device slot, if you can.

The PM Mods might credit the cost of a replacement SIM to your account... but it would be better if you can arrange for them to send it to you directly (without another vendor involved).

I did the clean operation for my issued Public Mobile SIM card but it is useless. 

I wish Public Mobile can help me to fix the issue or replace the SIM card with no charge for me.

I start to use Public Mobile service from April this year. It is normal in April and May. But it works abnormally from June. Previously, it can work several days normally when I reboot my mobile phone or reset my network configuration on my phone. From the last two weeks, it is more and more frequent with signal loss.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rogerrongI don't think replacing your SIM card arbitarily will solve the problem. The SIM card just contains a serial number and associated encryption key. Once you associated that particular SIM to your account, the network will provide the phone with the SIM card the information associated with your account. Changing the SIM card won't fix problems with your account.

I think the correct way is to tell the moderators that you are experiencing signal loss with your account. You are also sure it is not a hardware issue, since you mentioned other provider's SIM cards work fine in your phone.

Look up a user called @Psygineer you seem to be experience a simliar problem to him.

Thanks sir or madam. Let me check his case record.

I checked and found someone who lives in Northern Ontario met the same issue. The issue is still not be fixed. Wish Public Mobile engineers can fix the issue as soon as possible.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rogerrongYou would still need to contact the moderators to get them look at your account in order to get it fixed. It is usually an account related issue.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rogerrong wrote:

I checked and found someone who lives in Northern Ontario met the same issue. The issue is still not be fixed. Wish Public Mobile engineers can fix the issue as soon as possible.

Yep! Little over two months later it still is no-service in my area (after a year of having service there). Replacing the SIM did diddly. Changing phones did nothing. Changing to a Lucky SIM (Bell) did nothing. It's the tower. It has to be the tower! It's the only thing I can think of now. Mind you, it's been a little more stable lately, so knock on wood, they might have hit the tower with a wrench for me. The Mod ultimately told me to switch to Koodo for VoLTE.