cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SIM card seems abnormal. I want to replace it.

rogerrong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear Public Mobile service officer, 

My cell phone signal is sometimes not available at home, at school or on the road. This situation adds a lot of trouble in my daily life. Due to the loss of the signal, I missed a job confirmed phone and text message yesterday. At the same time and place, people around me who use the same public mobile phone service, their mobile phone service is normal. I wish you can help me to replace my SIM card for free to fix my problem.

My living address is near xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks. 

edited by computergeek541: partial address removed

24 REPLIES 24

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth wrote:

When it come to reliable cellular service I'd rather put my faith in a coverage map than in a deity. PM (and Telus, and Bell, and Rogers) can hardly be blamed for failing to provide service outside their service areas. And changing a working SIM card with a working SIM card won't accomplish much. 

Try a different phone, one with hardware and software which is known to be fully compatible with the network. 

While not the OP, I am the one who was referenced by the OP. I live about 1KM from a Bell Tower with two more that are about 2-3 KM away. As you likely know Bell and Telus share towers to provide their service so for the most part a Bell tower is the same thing as Telus tower connectivity wise..The coverage map shows strong coverage in my area. My hardware is an S8+ bought from Bell originally. I do not have coverage in my area worth anything. Lucky to have 1 bar and about -3 dbM away from losing service entirely at any given moment (and often I have no service). I have also tried an iPhone 5S originally from Bell and a iPhone 8 from Telus. Same problem. I also have the same issue with an LG G7 from Koodo. The coverage maps are likely theoretical at best. There are no obstructions, not even any overly tall trees or buildings. If I stand on the roof and look with binoculars I can see the tower without much magnification. The fact I can see it clearly means there are no obstructions. It doesn't matter if I am inside or outside. Doesn't matter if my Wifi is off in my home or on. Doesn't even matter if I use an expensive signal booster, there isn't enough signal to boost. 

Long story short, I disagree with your faith in the coverage map. While I agree they have no obligation in areas where they don't state coverage, they should have to provide service where they state they provide service. This is especially true when using their hardware (that Koodo (Telus) LG G7 especially and the iPhone 8 from Telus, with PM being Telus too). The coverage map shows I have coverage, I do not. I only use the phone for work, and it works well enough at work (despite being about 2 km from nearest tower which is twice as far as I am at home) or when I am travelling, so I am happy enough with the service but your faith in the service map is misguided. My best guess is the tower is misconfigured, the antennas are not directed in a way to ensure coverage of the area it is meant to cover. I'm in a blind spot, but said blindspot isn't identified on the map. The blindspot covers a large area in my neighbourhood (over 3km) walked to test. It likely spans further but I gave up after that.

When it come to reliable cellular service I'd rather put my faith in a coverage map than in a deity. PM (and Telus, and Bell, and Rogers) can hardly be blamed for failing to provide service outside their service areas. And changing a working SIM card with a working SIM card won't accomplish much. 

Try a different phone, one with hardware and software which is known to be fully compatible with the network. 

rogerrong

Thanks. I wish God to save us.

rogerrong

Thanks. I am a student recently with less month. I have to wait for their reply. Wish PM can fix the issue as soon as possible.

rogerrong

Yes. I sent a message to them. Thanks. Let's wait for their reply.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rogerrong wrote:

I checked and found someone who lives in Northern Ontario met the same issue. The issue is still not be fixed. Wish Public Mobile engineers can fix the issue as soon as possible.

Yep! Little over two months later it still is no-service in my area (after a year of having service there). Replacing the SIM did diddly. Changing phones did nothing. Changing to a Lucky SIM (Bell) did nothing. It's the tower. It has to be the tower! It's the only thing I can think of now. Mind you, it's been a little more stable lately, so knock on wood, they might have hit the tower with a wrench for me. The Mod ultimately told me to switch to Koodo for VoLTE.

@rogerrongYou would still need to contact the moderators to get them look at your account in order to get it fixed. It is usually an account related issue.

rogerrong

I checked and found someone who lives in Northern Ontario met the same issue. The issue is still not be fixed. Wish Public Mobile engineers can fix the issue as soon as possible.

rogerrong

Thanks sir or madam. Let me check his case record.

@rogerrongI don't think replacing your SIM card arbitarily will solve the problem. The SIM card just contains a serial number and associated encryption key. Once you associated that particular SIM to your account, the network will provide the phone with the SIM card the information associated with your account. Changing the SIM card won't fix problems with your account.

I think the correct way is to tell the moderators that you are experiencing signal loss with your account. You are also sure it is not a hardware issue, since you mentioned other provider's SIM cards work fine in your phone.

Look up a user called @Psygineer you seem to be experience a simliar problem to him.

rogerrong

I did the clean operation for my issued Public Mobile SIM card but it is useless. 

I wish Public Mobile can help me to fix the issue or replace the SIM card with no charge for me.

I start to use Public Mobile service from April this year. It is normal in April and May. But it works abnormally from June. Previously, it can work several days normally when I reboot my mobile phone or reset my network configuration on my phone. From the last two weeks, it is more and more frequent with signal loss.

XiaoMi phones run a proprietary version of Android OS which may not always be fully compatible with standard services.
XiaoMi 8 hardware specs apparently do not support all Public Mobile (Telus) radio frequencies and cellular bands. So they may not provide adequate QoS with all Telus towers.
There are apparently at least four versions of the device (intended for different regions) but specs aren't all available online.

Try cleaning the electrical contacts on your SIM card - and in the device slot, if you can.

The PM Mods might credit the cost of a replacement SIM to your account... but it would be better if you can arrange for them to send it to you directly (without another vendor involved).

rogerrong

Thank you for your help.

@rogerrong wrote:

I also used their SIM cards on my mobile phone. They are all normal. So I think the issue is due to my SIM card.

@rogerrong  If that's the case the it could be that your account hasn't been provisioned properly. Best to contact the Public moderator team. Describe all the details and they will troubleshoot it for you.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

rogerrong

I also used their SIM cards on my mobile phone. They are all normal. So I think the issue is due to my SIM card.

rogerrong

And my Rogers SIM card works normally on my mobile phone.

rogerrong

The model of my phone is XiaoMi 8. It's normal previously. I used the SIM card on my friends and lost the signal also. I reset my cell phone several times. It works normally when I reset my cell phone. But it will abnormal sometime later. This status is also on my friends' iPhone Xs when they were used my SIM card. They work normally when they use their public mobile SIM cards.

rogerrong

I have done it yet.

Also maybe try resetting your network setting on your phone

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@rogerrong wrote:

Dear Public Mobile service officer, 

My cell phone signal is sometimes not available at home, at school or on the road. This situation adds a lot of trouble in my daily life. Due to the loss of the signal, I missed a job confirmed phone and text message yesterday. At the same time and place, people around me who use the same public mobile phone service, their mobile phone service is normal. I wish you can help me to replace my SIM card for free to fix my problem.

My living address is near xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks. 

@rogerrong  What type of phone do you have?

Not sure how you determined that the issue is your sim. Why don't ask your friend that has connectivity where you don't if you can use their card in your phone. If you still lose connection the the problem is your phone.

rogerrong

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the SIM card into my another mobile phone. The issue is still there. I also have a Rogers SIM card. It works normal on my two mobile phones.

rogerrong

Thanks for your reminding. I erased my personal information.

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Information you are posting here is public. Anyone can see it!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Edit your post and erase your personal information then go and order a sim online.

You could also go to Walmart and buy a new sim card.

Sorry I do not believe they would replace for free.

However do you have another phone laying around that you can put sim in to test your signal? Maybe it's a phony issue and not a sim issue?

Need Help? Let's chat.