cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: More amount charged

@naluukti 

I had a look back at some online purchases I've made. Would you think the CRA would be interested in auditing and making sure that Amazon would have to follow all the rules? Durn tootin' they would. I see no sign of any GST number anywhere up to the last screen before saying go. The "receipt" in email afterwards???...no mention.

Same thing here. Don't you think Telus and their army of lawyers wouldn't be making sure that they're complying with the CRA and the the CRA's army of lawyers wouldn't be all over Telus? At least here you can find a GST number in the payment screen. 

Mayor / Maire

@naluukti wrote:

Via https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/charge-col...

"You must let your customers know if the GST/HST is being applied to their purchases. You can use cash register receipts, invoices, contracts, or post signs at your place of business to inform your customers whether the GST/HST is included in the price, or added separately. You have to show the GST/HST rate that applies to the supply. Also, you have to either show the amount paid or payable for the supply separately from the amount of GST/HST payable on the supply or show that the total amount paid or payable for a supply includes the GST/HST."

@naluukti that appears to be geared toward brick and mortar purchases, since it's talking about signage at your place of business.  I would presume Telus has done their due diligence in terms of knowing what they are obligated to provide and not provide, but if you're concerned, I would suggest you make a complaint to CRA and ask them to investigate.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I see tight here on a currently featured plan, in the offer details.  Taxes are extra.Public Mobile is not hiding this.

799628BC-5EB4-4E59-AC8E-CF773BCD9191.png

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having a similar problem. I calculated with taxes but that doesn't actually match the amount on my credit card. How can I see that calculation?

Mayor / Maire

@mc93 wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I calculated with taxes but that doesn't actually match the amount on my credit card. How can I see that calculation?

So how much is your plan ? How much were you charged ? What province you in ?

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mc93 when you log into your account and go to the payment page the bottom you will see choose the province to see your applicable taxes it will do the calculation for you. But really this is very simple math surely you know what the provincial tax rate is in your own province in BC it's 12% 7% provincial sales tax 5% GST so if your plan is $40 it comes out to $44.80. This is the problem with smartphones because everyone's brain has become stupid. This is why for years I've had a flip phone because I like to have a smart brain and a stupid phone.

Thanks, I think.

I was just looking for where I can see how Public Mobile is calculating things, so I can compare my numbers to theirs. Most people like to check their bills for accuracy, and that's not quick and easy or straightforward when the information you're given isn't complete and easy to read. It would be nice if their payment page included the actual payment information, but it doesn't.

Yes, it is simple math, and no, I actually didn't know the tax rate here because I moved from another province and haven't actually checked what the sales tax rate is. The link that Public Mobile gives to see the tax rates only gives GST/HST, not PST, and when I glanced at it I misread it, so was using the wrong numbers.

People will find answers more helpful if they just include information, not judgement. There is no need to put people down for asking for help.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mc93Public Mobile calculates your taxes based on the address you had registered with. (They don't do hard credit checks so they can't actually verify the info, eg after you moved etc). If you had moved from 1 province to another, updated the account just by number transfer to another province, the taxes are still calculated based on your original registration / payment address. That might explain your discrepency.

I never would have thought of that. So will it use the correct tax rate if the payment address is updated?

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mc93Yes the tax rate should change when you change your payment address. You could verify it by doing a one time manual payment after your change. The Taxes will be extra will be displayed before you submit payment.