cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic keeps cutting out

PatMcR
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just ported my number over from chatr.  The mic on my galaxy s7 kept cutting out about a minute into calls.  I tried clearing the cache, resetting app settings, factory reset, and my old phone (s5) with a factory reset.  The s5 worked for a bit then started having the same problem.  Sometimes it works for a minute, other times not at all.  Even with a factory reset.  I don't know what else to do other than switching carriers.  Very frustrating!

7 REPLIES 7

skrdan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've got a Galaxy S5 that Fido sent me when I requested a "new phone".  It constantly cuts out during conversations and, if you're one of the lucky ones, it won't hang up on you!!!  LOL.  What helps to stop the cutting out, seriously, is that you be away from anyplace that has a lot of metal, ie; bathroom or kitchen walls, A/C's or fans. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@PatMcR wrote:

I just ported my number over from chatr.  The mic on my galaxy s7 kept cutting out about a minute into calls.  I tried clearing the cache, resetting app settings, factory reset, and my old phone (s5) with a factory reset.  The s5 worked for a bit then started having the same problem.  Sometimes it works for a minute, other times not at all.  Even with a factory reset.  I don't know what else to do other than switching carriers.  Very frustrating!

@PatMcR Chatr uses 2G/3G for calls and PM uses only 3G. 

Does your plan have data? If yes, install Hangouts Dialer and make a call does the mic still cut out?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Do you have access to external mic? Did you do updates recently? 

As suggested above it would be great to try your sim in different brand phone and different carrier sim in your phone.

It’s odd that a mic error be related to the service provider, but at the shame time, even stranger to be on two devices.  I’d check another device if possible, and also attempt another carriers sim in your phone.

My Nexus 5 had a mic problem, which I resolved by always using a headset.  Wired or Bluetooth.

Llamaman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

One final possibility: try starting the phone in Safe Mode and see if that solves your problem. If so, it might be an app you installed at around the same time as your switch which is causing the problem.

Llamaman

Additional possibility, though it may seem dumb: make sure you are not accidentally covering the mic with your small finger when you are holding the phone. It happens. Seems unlikely in your case as you didn't have a problem before.

Llamaman

Have you tried a friend's SIM (from another network) in your phone? This would at least help confirm that it's not a hardware/software problem of your phone. Seems unlikely given that you tried the SIM on another phone.

Also have you tried the SIM in a different brand of phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.