cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message send failure - iPhone X

Scafffy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey folks,

Everything works fine for me and I've got a strong wifi signal and LTE too but my iPhone will not allow SMS to go through. 

My APN settings look good but is there another setting I might be missing? Only joined PM a couple months ago. 

SMS has never worked for me. Immediate "message send failure" even though Messages app settings do have Send As SMS turned on. 

11 REPLIES 11

Scafffy

Exactly! That's why I am baffled. 

Already reset network settings to no avail. 

Now that you mention it yes the PM notifications always come through fine but cannot send or receive with any of my friends on android

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scafffy wrote:

That was me laying out my current specific scenario. I never said it's only an issue with one person I have stated it's all sms. 

Numerous people although I'll admit my sample size is very low. 95% of my contacts are on iOS so it never been a big deal until a close friend switched and now we cannot text. 

I've had attempts over the last 2 months to text with a handful of folks not on iOS and the result is always the same. 

People write all kinds of things that could mean different things. All I can do is to try to interpret.

Have you tried this:

(copied from some place on the intertubes)

Dial *#*#4636#*#* And you can see this list:

-Device information

-Battery information

-Usage statistics

-Wifi information

Tap DEVICE INFIRMATION

Scroll down and look for SMSC.

On the textbox enter 16475800172.

tap Update

tap Refresh.

But I'm not an Apple guy. The real Apple guy is on the case. I'll step back.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Scafffy wrote:

I am attempting to text someone who isn't using an iOS device. The message turns green immediately so clearly it recognizes it's not going to an iOS recipient but for some reason it gets hung up. 

I have cellular data turned on and I have the 5gb data + voice package. 

As you might've guessed, cell data and APN aren't relevant for SMS.  Are you able to receive SMS messages?  Like the ones PM sends in the form of notifications, etc.?

If you have the latest version of iOS and the Carrier Profile, and performed hard boots, the only thing I can think of would be to do a network reset (Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> confirm and allow reboot).  However, if you do this, you'll have to re-establish your WiFi settings (re-enter passphrases, etc.), Bluetooth connections, etc.  But it has a good chance of fixing things...

EDIT: Wow, lots of responses back and forth in this thread after I started my reply.  Guess I got distracted watching the AB election.

One other thought that sometimes (oddly) comes into play... is your date/time correct and set to automatic?  There are some cases where stuff stops working properly when not correctly set...

Other than that, I've never seen SMS not work to the extent you've described... hmm...

Scafffy

That was me laying out my current specific scenario. I never said it's only an issue with one person I have stated it's all sms. 

Numerous people although I'll admit my sample size is very low. 95% of my contacts are on iOS so it never been a big deal until a close friend switched and now we cannot text. 

I've had attempts over the last 2 months to text with a handful of folks not on iOS and the result is always the same. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scafffy wrote:

I am attempting to text someone who isn't using an iOS device. The message turns green immediately so clearly it recognizes it's not going to an iOS recipient but for some reason it gets hung up. 

All other phone functions work fine and dandy on my iPhone except for this specific situation where I simply cannot text through SMS. 

Here. But ok. You've clarified that it's all SMS.

Scafffy

I never said it only fails for one individual. Show me where I said that. 

SMS has never worked for me with this public mobile sim. No green texts have ever been received or sent successfully. Only blue iMessage texts. 

Scafffy

Nope! Already carried out the software reset of my network settings and turned iMessage off/on. 

Other settings were already configured as suggested. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scafffy 

In your first post you seem to be saying that SMS never worked since arriving here. Now you seem to be saying it doesn't for one recipient.

So which is it?

Scafffy

Sorry no those unfortunately won't help. Apparently I should have explicitly stated first that iMessages work fine. 

All other phone functions work fine and dandy on my iPhone except for this specific situation where I simply cannot text through SMS. 

I have cellular data turned on and I have the 5gb data + voice package. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Scafffy wrote:

Everything works fine for me and I've got a strong wifi signal and LTE too but my iPhone will not allow SMS to go through. 

My APN settings look good but is there another setting I might be missing? Only joined PM a couple months ago. 

SMS has never worked for me. Immediate "message send failure" even though Messages app settings do have Send As SMS turned on. 

When sending, do you see blue bubble, or green?  Blue=iMessage, green=SMS.

It is sounding to me like you're attempting to send an iMessage, and it's failing due to not having cellular data (not in plan) or you've turned cellular data off.  Are these true/correct statements?

If so, you may need to disable iMessage altogether in order to consistently be able to send SMS.  Settings --> Messages --> iMessage = DISABLED.  The option to send as SMS when iMessage is not available may not work properly when the iPhone thinks there might be a working data connection (e.g. it has an IP address, which will be the case with cell data turned on, but you have no data as part of your plan).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scafffy 

Would this get you going?

Up until the last step anyway 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.