cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make self-service responsive!

VMAX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Self-service web pages (login etc.) are not responsive (don't adjust, are difficult to view) on small screens. 

Please, we are in 2018, it's a long time to make self-service responsive and show some respect to mobile users.

Here's the link: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca

14 REPLIES 14

Online support forums are always populated with complaints, issues, request, demands, rants.  People who didn't get what they expected, who are having typical problems, who are having extremely bizzare problems, who want more, or who are simply unhappy with everything in their lives.

Very few people ever bother to register and logon to a support site just so they can say "hi, everything's awesome, I'm really happy I bought it, it's exactly what I needed/wanted and more, I can't praise it enough, thank you, thank you".  When they do, they're drowned out under the negativity.

This is all normal.  If you go to any support site for any product or service - cellular data, smartphones, gaming motherboards, automotive, folding multitools - then you'll see tons of bad feedback, unresolved problems, indifferent problem resolutions, angry rants, etc.  It's a wonder people buy anything at all when so many support sites are filled with bad news that makes the products/services look like complete ripoffs.

... Still ... I agree PM should invest in revamping their sites.  Starting with the worst parts, namely the Self-Serve and billing pages.  I think it would indeed attract more business, gotta make a good first impression on the "savvy" "young" "DIY" "BYOD" "value" sorts of customers which PM wants onboard.  Nobody sticks around to wait out a clumsy website anymore when any pretty alternatives can be found just a click away.

@VMAXwrote:

@Korth

@Korthwrote:

@VMAX

But what exactly does making a slick snappy responsive golden standard PM Self-Serve portal really accomplish?  

Well, I'd be bold enough to say "more customers". People have enough trouble activating their SIM cards already (just look at corresponding posts here). Why make their lives even more miserable if they try to do it using a smartphone?

Do you have any idea how many successfully activate the sim? This community is the only place to get help so you will only see problems. Not many will report when they successfully activate.

VMAX

@Korth

@Korthwrote:

@VMAX

But what exactly does making a slick snappy responsive golden standard PM Self-Serve portal really accomplish?  

Well, I'd be bold enough to say "more customers". People have enough trouble activating their SIM cards already (just look at corresponding posts here). Why make their lives even more miserable if they try to do it using a smartphone?

Truth is that they can't even fix the long due password reset issue. They haven't even add a single feature to the self-serve since the migration with Telus. I would love to have them make the self serve faster but you are telling them to ignore all other issues and waste more time to make that happen. The tech team is very dull towards any PM issues other than the payment processing Robot tongue

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@VMAX

Yeah the Virgin website's very not bad.  Bell's is okay, too.  The rest are quite dismal.

But what exactly does making a slick snappy responsive golden standard PM Self-Serve portal really accomplish?  I admit that it's currently very stagnant and any kind of front-end overhaul would be welcome, but to be honest I'd rather they add functional features (like printable billing, email notification settings, etc) than pretty features (like having it snap and resize to smartphone screen dimensions).

dr-et
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

watch the show the IT crowd then you will understand who works for big monolithic companies government.

;=}

VMAX

@Korth wrote:

You'll see that none of the carriers has what you call a "modern" website.  They don't focus on slick and responsive. 

Well, I am not sure about ALL carriers. I was with Virgin Mobile before and their self serve website is slick and responsive.

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/members-lounge/login.html

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

anything related to PM is not a priority for telus.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@VMAXwrote:

Yeah, looks like a legacy web site from early Public mobile days... it's redesign is certainly not on a priority list for Telus.

You'll see that none of the carriers has what you call a "modern" website.  They don't focus on slick and responsive.  It only needs to work properly, and have minimum ongoing costs, and not look worse than what the competition is running.

VMAX

Yeah, looks like a legacy web site from early Public mobile days... it's redesign is certainly not on a priority list for Telus.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

this idea was brougt up in the public lab before. my take on it is PM selfserve was a clone of an old koodo site circa the mid 1900's.  🙂  who knows what will happen.  it took a very very long time to fix the password reset feature.  I doubt this is high on their list. but who know with the changes that seem to implied who knows what will happen in the near/ far future. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@VMAXwrote:

But I'm sure that Telus web team knows very well what I am talking about...

I wouldn't be so sure of that, lol.

Telus has great hardware, good coverage, solid service, reliable quality, decent performance.

But if you've ever taken a look at Telus software - their websites, their customer apps, their device-side and network-side programming on PVRs and Gateways - you'll conclude that Telus does not really know software.  Not saying Telus software people suck, just that they are not employed to specialize on finer details, their focus is just making it work cheap.

VMAX

I was not talking about server speed...

Here's a good explanation of what responsive web design is about: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

It's a golden standard of modern web design when about 50% visits are from mobile phones. The goal is to make user experience better even if it is still possible to consult a non responsive page using pinching, zooming and squinting eyes as you have suggested.

But I'm sure that Telus web team knows very well what I am talking about...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@VMAX, the servers seem to have spasms from time to time. That's the cause for slow response.  As for sizing, all browsers have zoom features.

Need Help? Let's chat.