cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping My Out-of-Town Phone Number

kmbarb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am switching to Public Mobile and am wondering about keeping my old number. It belongs to a different area code. Is it still possible to keep the number? Or do I have to switch to a local phone number?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

@kmbarb wrote:

I purchased the province wide calling, and the area code is within the same province, so I'm thinking there shouldn't be an issue... I've PMd the moderator. I appear to be able to get calls inbound, but any outbound calling to any area code says I don't have a long-distance plan... Must be a weird glitch with my porting.

Yes, as you're probably aware by now, there was a problem with the Public Mobile services earlier today.

As for your questions, since you will be in the same province as before, and also since Public Mobile plans currently offer at least provincial calling, nothing changes when it comes to your ability to make outgoing or receiving incoming calls. 

The problem is with when other people call you. It wouldn't cost you any extra, and you wouldn't need a long distance add-on either, but the people calling you would potentially have to pay long distance fees to contact you.  This would happen if your old city is long distance from where your contact is calling you from (and if that person doesn't have long distance included in his/her plan).

@kmbarb wrote:

I purchased the province wide calling, and the area code is within the same province, so I'm thinking there shouldn't be an issue... I've PMd the moderator. I appear to be able to get calls inbound, but any outbound calling to any area code says I don't have a long-distance plan... Must be a weird glitch with my porting.

There is a huge issue affecting calling for a large number of users right now.  You could very well be affected by that issue. 

kmbarb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@kmbarb, you can keep it but if you are getting Province wide calling remember you will need a LD addon to call back to your old province and for people in your new province they will have to call you Long distance to reach you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

thapager
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You’re able to keep it. 

Just make sure you set up PM service fully first, then port your number over in a second phase. 

Need Help? Let's chat.