cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep my old number after cancelling

jr44ee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I submitted a request to carry my old number over from my old provider when I signed up for public mobile and it didn't work. I have messaged the moderators with new information to try again. 

The problem is, my billing period ends tomorrow, so I'm wondering what will happen if I cancel my service before I get the confirmation that the number transfer has been successful.

Am I just completely out of luck here if public mobile doesn't manage to transfer my number before I have to pay for another month of my old provider to keep my number?

3 REPLIES 3

@jr44ee wrote:

The problem is, my billing period ends tomorrow, so I'm wondering what will happen if I cancel my service before I get the confirmation that the number transfer has been successful.

As other's have already said, don't cancel your service.  I can't stress this enough, but to be very clear and to use certain terms, there is zero chance of your phone number transfering successfully if you do this.  You would then need to call up your old provider and reactivate the service, and then you'll have to try the number transfer again.  It would just be a huge waste of your time.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jr44ee wrote:

I submitted a request to carry my old number over from my old provider when I signed up for public mobile and it didn't work. I have messaged the moderators with new information to try again. 

Am I just completely out of luck here if public mobile doesn't manage to transfer my number before I have to pay for another month of my old provider to keep my number?

Do not cancel your old service.  You must have an active line for the number to be ported out.  Now not sure about what happens to a port that was started and hadn't completed but I would never cancel your previous service.  If it's a post posts account you will get a pro-rated bill after it closes if it is a few days into your new cycle

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jr44ee, DO NOT cancel you plan with the previous provider.  If you do, you will lose the number.  If it was a post paid plan, you should get a refund of the unused part of the month, after your number gets ported to public mobile.  If it was a pre-paid plan, you will likely lose whatever amount it costs for the renewal. 

EDIT:  If you were on a really expensive plan, perhaps you could change to a less expensive one.  However, it might not be worth it since the problem should be resolved (number port) within a couple of days.

Need Help? Let's chat.