cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??

@LurganIeUk     

         This is what most mobile providers call this feature. Most other providers just don't provide the customer access to it. The other uses of it other than reporting your phone lost or stolen have been discovered by the fact that public mobile customers have access to it in their accounts. Every other provider requires you to phone them and ask them to use it. Then phone them back to report your phone found or actually stolen.....and ask for it to be blacklisted.

      Other providers will suspend your service for a fee when you take an extended holiday. All they do is report your phone lost. They don't want you to know this is also what this feature can do because they can charge you extra fees for clicking a button. So public mobile is calling it what it is.....and what it is intended for....we are just lucky enough to have full access to it and can use it for more than it's intention.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??


@dabr wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I think some of you have missed my point. 

 

Suspend service for lost, stolen and many other reasons...what is PM really doing?

They are disallowing or suspending the use of the main link of making it all work.....the SIM card. 

 

Be your phone is lost, broken, stolen, in jail and can’t use, or on a European holiday. 

Why not call it what it is ...... Suspend Mobile Service.....Suspend SIM Card....or Suspend Mobile/SIM Service. Which protects unapproved use or service not required due to, stolen, lost, or need for temporary no service. 


@LurganIeUk  I don't think anyone here would disagree with you that perhaps the wording around what the lost/stolen option (sometimes called lost/stolen trick), could be cleaned up or clearer.  I would tend to agree that calling it "suspend mobile service" would probably be much more easily understood.

 

However, there are a lot of things in PM's system which could/should be improved upon or made clearer, unfortunately, PM is a budget phone provider, so we all put up with some annoyances of this system because the price for services really cannot be beat, IMO.

 

Price point is mainly the reason we can, more or less, live with some of the shortcomings at PM, mostly:)


Thanks for recognizing my point. I was trying to explain wIth my experience how the current tab is very misleading and may be under used. Yes low budget, great spiffs for us and service is really good with this concept. But to do things properly by making a web site change for a label makes it look more straight forward and less questions to ask a MOD. Say what it really is doing.....and state some where else what it is for. Make Sense?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??


@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk     

         This is what most mobile providers call this feature. Most other providers just don't provide the customer access to it. The other uses of it other than reporting your phone lost or stolen have been discovered by the fact that public mobile customers have access to it in their accounts. Every other provider requires you to phone them and ask them to use it. Then phone them back to report your phone found or actually stolen.....and ask for it to be blacklisted.

      Other providers will suspend your service for a fee when you take an extended holiday. All they do is report your phone lost. They don't want you to know this is also what this feature can do because they can charge you extra fees for clicking a button. So public mobile is calling it what it is.....and what it is intended for....we are just lucky enough to have full access to it and can use it for more than it's intention.


I hear you. But if I was in a frantic scurry with a truly stolen phone....I would be asking to suspend service. 

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??

@LurganIeUk As @darlicious pointed out the original and true function of this feature is for Lost/Stolen phones. The fact that the user is able to suspend service is a mere side effect of what the feature was intended for, so calling it Lost/Stolen is appropriate. Also like mentioned, other providers require you to call them to have this function activated and since you are not able to call PM then this is their way of providing instant access to this feature until you contact a MOD to have it reported as permanently lost or stolen.

 

Also on a different thing you mentioned in your original post you said "I have purchased numerous iPhones over the years and have always asked for the IMEI number to do my checks before I buy. I always do a check at Device Check Canada (Device Check provides instant access to the Canadian national database of mobile devices reported lost and stolen) for listed as stolen thus blacklisted".

I would like to point out that although this is highly recommended and good practise for purchasing used phones, this in no way provides any guarantee that the used phone you purchased that wasn't on the Blacklist , will not be added to the blacklist after you have purchased and activated it. Just FYI

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??


@krazykiwi wrote:

@LurganIeUk As @darlicious pointed out the original and true function of this feature is for Lost/Stolen phones. The fact that the user is able to suspend service is a mere side effect of what the feature was intended for, so calling it Lost/Stolen is appropriate. Also like mentioned, other providers require you to call them to have this function activated and since you are not able to call PM then this is their way of providing instant access to this feature until you contact a MOD to have it reported as permanently lost or stolen.

 

Also on a different thing you mentioned in your original post you said "I have purchased numerous iPhones over the years and have always asked for the IMEI number to do my checks before I buy. I always do a check at Device Check Canada (Device Check provides instant access to the Canadian national database of mobile devices reported lost and stolen) for listed as stolen thus blacklisted".

I would like to point out that although this is highly recommended and good practise for purchasing used phones, this in no way provides any guarantee that the used phone you purchased that wasn't on the Blacklist , will not be added to the blacklist after you have purchased and activated it. Just FYI


Thank you. I disagree with the opinion that Lost/Stolen Phone is the right name to call it. 

i only referred to Device Check Canada and the national database because PM knows your IMEI and you report as lost on PM From which some one could feel they will pas the IMEI to the database. Thus a clearer name and explanation would be much clearer for knowing how the self service option will work. 

 

I also said I do check(s) and Device Check Canada is only one of them. I have other standards for purchase.....like must include orginal box with matching IMEI and pick up at sellers address. I have never been stung and not all sellers will meet at their home. So be it...they lose and I win somewhere else. 

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??


@LurganIeUk wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@LurganIeUk As @darlicious pointed out the original and true function of this feature is for Lost/Stolen phones. The fact that the user is able to suspend service is a mere side effect of what the feature was intended for, so calling it Lost/Stolen is appropriate. Also like mentioned, other providers require you to call them to have this function activated and since you are not able to call PM then this is their way of providing instant access to this feature until you contact a MOD to have it reported as permanently lost or stolen.

 

Also on a different thing you mentioned in your original post you said "I have purchased numerous iPhones over the years and have always asked for the IMEI number to do my checks before I buy. I always do a check at Device Check Canada (Device Check provides instant access to the Canadian national database of mobile devices reported lost and stolen) for listed as stolen thus blacklisted".

I would like to point out that although this is highly recommended and good practise for purchasing used phones, this in no way provides any guarantee that the used phone you purchased that wasn't on the Blacklist , will not be added to the blacklist after you have purchased and activated it. Just FYI


Thank you. I disagree with the opinion that Lost/Stolen Phone is the right name to call it. 

i only referred to Device Check Canada and the national database because PM knows your IMEI and you report as lost on PM From which some one could feel they will pas the IMEI to the database. Thus a clearer name and explanation would be much clearer for knowing how the self service option will work. 

 

I also said I do check(s) and Device Check Canada is only one of them. I have other standards for purchase.....like must include orginal box with matching IMEI and pick up at sellers address. I have never been stung and not all sellers will meet at their home. So be it...they lose and I win somewhere else. 


We agree to disagree on the Lost/stolen.

 

So far as your precautions, this is what I am saying there are no precautions that you can take that will guarentee a safe purchase every time, I am telling you this from experience.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??

@LurganIeUk meeting at the persons house is great but what happens if he is in an apartment and moves out the next day and reports it stolen a week later.

I have the guys information, including video, licence plate number, real phone number, neither the police nor the service provider are the least bit interested in the information I have. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??

@LurganIeUk  We will have to disagree on that point. If in a panic of a lost or stolen phone I think " report phone lost/stolen" sums it up very clearly. In that case "suspend service" does not tell me clearly how it would relate to my phone being lost or stolen.

I'll give you an example:

    Last year at about this time when my bf was still with fido he misplaced his phone. He had been at several people's houses over the course of the evening so wasnt really sure if it was lost forever lost or just misplaced. I phoned fido and explained the situation. The CS asked if I wanted to suspend the service. I said no I wanted it reported as lost and to suspend the data. The calling and texting was unlimited so I could still attempt to locate the phone and I wasn't worried about any calling or texting overages but the data could result in large overages so I wanted that suspended or blocked or whatever they do when they block the data on your phone. I was told to call back in when the phone was found.

    The phone was located a day later by a friend who found it in his couch after hearing it ringing and returned a day after that. Being that the bf was at home on WiFi I waited a few more days and phoned fido back and reported the phone found and told them to turn the data back on. I was told to give 20 min or so and everything would be back to normal. And so it appeared until I got the bill with a huge data overage bill.

    When I called fido again I was finally explained that my options were only to fully suspend the servicevand because I only wanted data blocked that's why I got the bill. They apologized for the first and second CS agents not fully explaining my options and blocking the data is not an option for the customer only the provider. The data was used because the bf didn't double check whether he had WiFi on or not and instead was using mobile data even though we both thought it was blocked. We did get the overage reduced to $50 because that was the maximum they could charge without permission but they still tried charging us the full amount and it still cost an extra $50 in overages.

Ultimately public mobiles lost/stolen feature is an advantage most pm customers don't even realize they have....whether it used for its primary function or the many others we have discovered it has....and we can use freely and free of charges and fees!

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is Lost/Stolen Phone the best description of what it really is??


@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk  We will have to disagree on that point. If in a panic of a lost or stolen phone I think " report phone lost/stolen" sums it up very clearly. In that case "suspend service" does not tell me clearly how it would relate to my phone being lost or stolen.

 

Great. I can continually see here that a lot of answers are right here. And if it was explained there as I previously mentioned it would cover what to do when stolen, lost, or on snooze for a holiday. It would then lead you to Suspend Mobile Service/SIM.  And NOT lead one to have any false conclusions that the phone will be reported to a database it is stolen which will lead to a blacklisting.  A simple request to suspend service. I am not going to compare to other Telcos terminology or charges. I am pointing out to keep it simple and understandable to all. KISS 

Need Help? Let's chat.