cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound calls going straight to voicemail

mrleeio
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For the last two weeks 99% of my incoming calls have gone straight to voicemail.  Phone does not ring.  I have performed all basic trouble shootingon my iPhone 7 Plus to no avail.  Outbound calls, texting, and data all work.

@CS_Agent I have sent you a PM as well.  Maybe the community can help.

tags: inbound calls, incoming calls, voicemail

12 REPLIES 12

Phee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Mystery solved. My dad's phone was set to Do Not Disturb when phone is locked. That's why it "seemed" like sometimes phone calls would come through but most of the time they didnt. 

Hope this helps someone. 

@will13am wrote:

I sense there is some sort of hardware or software problem with the phone that causes it to "disconnect" from the network.  When a phone is not connected to the network and on standby, calls go straight to voice mail.  I have never used iOS before, is there some sort of hibernation control on the phone that is putting it into too deep of sleep? 

Apple provides exactly one setting for this: "Low Power Mode".  It throttles down a whole lot of iPhone functions once battery charge hits <80% capacity - no user settings are provided to configure what gets activated or deactivated (or in what way, or by how much) when Low Power Mode engages, it's all or nothing.  And other Apple softwares can (and do) automatically assert Low Power Mode, which functionally prevents it from remaining disabled.

It can be especially problematic on older devices.  Older batteries (say 18-24 months old, having accumulated ~400+ full charge/discharge cycles) are usually chemically eroded enough that they cannot hold 80% of the charge they could when they were brand new (even though their embedded regulator chips falsely report "100% charge" to the phone software) - and they are designed to be "non-replaceable" - so in practice, Low Power Mode (along with all the crippling/throttling limitations it imposes on the iPhone) remains permanently active.

Phee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I'm having the same issue. Also using an iPhone 7 Plus. 

@mrleeio, the sales rep from Koodo is feeding you a line.  There have been promotions sent out via text message from PM, offering subscribers access to special Koodo plans that *may* be of interest to the recipient.  This has been a fairly recent (6 months or so), and some users, such as myself have yet to be contacted for such an offer.

I continue to be on a 4G LTE plan, connection to bot 3G and 4G/LTE networks, and using 3G for voice as Telus does not VoLTE service to Public Mobile subscribers (yet).

The your Koodo rep is trying to make a sale, and apparently giving you false info.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is not the SIM card for sure.  All the SIM card does is allow the connection to the network.  The switching from LTE to 3G for talk should be at the network level.  Somehow, this phone is not playing nice with the network?  Perhaps ask the moderator team to reset the account to make sure there isn't something hidden in there that is causing this issue.  As for VoLTE, the decision is not with Public Mobile.  Telus pulls those strings. 

mrleeio

IOS does indeed have a "do not disturb" mode however that is not turned on.  Additionally the phone was reset recently for the installation of IOS 11.  An iPhone 6 with the same sim and IOS version also suffers from this problem.  It is not isolated to just my phone.

My comment around LTE comes from a direct sales call from Koodo trying to get me to switch carriers because "Public Mobile does not want to support full speed LTE and we're offering LTE plans to their customers".  Could be a poorly trained staff member.

I still believe it is a problem with my specific SIM or the network itself.  Unfourtunatly getting support from Public Mobile is like pulling teeth.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I sense there is some sort of hardware or software problem with the phone that causes it to "disconnect" from the network.  When a phone is not connected to the network and on standby, calls go straight to voice mail.  I have never used iOS before, is there some sort of hibernation control on the phone that is putting it into too deep of sleep? 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The itermitancy of the issue suggests hardware issue. A network issue probably would affect more customers.

Again basic troubleshooting is to swap sims and see what happens.

LTE also has nothing to do with calls as voice for all Telus brands is 3g from what I recall.

@mrleeio wrote:

Yes, no change.  Also do to the fact that this is an intermittent problem I can never be sure what the actual problem is on my end.

I suspect a problem on Public Mobile's end, especially because they no longer wish to support LTE customers.

Trying the SIM card in another phone like @mimmo suggested could isolate network vs hardware issues.

I'm not sure where that statement of PM no longer supporting LTE comes from - all plans offered by PM run on the Telus LTE network where it's available.

The "3G" plans are a) a misnomer - it's throttled LTE, totally adequate for most users (Personally, I'd have preferred a name like LTE light...) and b) are meant to round out the offerings and complement the higher prices on new LTE plans (if you are on a grandfathered plan that you have signed up for before July 2017 your data runs on LTE.)

mrleeio

Yes, no change.  Also do to the fact that this is an intermittent problem I can never be sure what the actual problem is on my end.

I suspect a problem on Public Mobile's end, especially because they no longer wish to support LTE customers.

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @mrleeio,

I am not familiar with iOS but, is there an option to toggle your network between 3G and LTE? If so, select 3G and then give your number a ring to see if that helps? If you do get through, you can revert the setting back to LTE.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Have u tried your sim in a different phone? Isolate network vs hardware issues?

Need Help? Let's chat.