Did you mean: 

I want to cancel my account

Lm12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I cancel my account 

14 REPLIES 14

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lm12 , With any Prepaid Cell Phone Provider in Canada, you simply stop paying and your service will eventually cancel it self.

PL29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hmm that's a bummer as apparently Telus has already determined at which date I will be billed. I will try to work things out with them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PL29 : Nope. You could start that new account whenever and then port over your current number near the end of the paid term.

PL29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a similar concern - I'm leaving PM because my new workplace has an EPP deal with Telus, but I don't know exactly when my Telus SIM will arrive. I've already prepaid for the current cycle but it's very unlikely I will use the whole month - am I able to get a pro-rated refund from the moment I de-activate? 

@BlueB wrote:

True, @computergeek541... are Moderator hours limited on holidays?  After hours could slow things down for the OP if there was some urgency to the matter.

Hours are the same daily, even on holidays. (6am to 10pm eastern)

BlueB

True, @computergeek541... are Moderator hours limited on holidays?  After hours could slow things down for the OP if there was some urgency to the matter.

IIRC - Moderator hours (Eastern time) are:

• Weekdays 0800-0000
  • Weekends 0800-2200

...are holidays "off" or do they work a Weekend schedule?

@BlueB wrote:

@Lm12 

To summarize, there are basically 3 ways to cancel your account:

1. Account lapses, suspends, and automatically cancels after 90 days.
  2. Porting/transferring your phone number to another provider immediately cancels your account
  3. Moderator/Staff intervention (via SIMon chatbot ticket or message)

In all cases, remove payment methods/Autopay first.  The fastest way you have control over cancelling your account is via porting.  Otherwise, just let your account lapse or ask a Moderator to help.

If you have any feedback/suggestions for Public Mobile, we'd love to hear them too - we're curious creatures!  🙂

I am sure that there are ways for a moderator to make the service stop immedaitely, but I can't really see any reason for customer to go this route since there will be no refunds for any plans that have already been paid for.

BlueB

@Lm12 

To summarize, there are basically 3 ways to cancel your account:

1. Account lapses, suspends, and automatically cancels after 90 days.
  2. Porting/transferring your phone number to another provider immediately cancels your account
  3. Moderator/Staff intervention (via SIMon chatbot ticket or message)

In all cases, remove payment methods/Autopay first.  The fastest way you have control over cancelling your account is via porting.  Otherwise, just let your account lapse or ask a Moderator to help.

If you have any feedback/suggestions for Public Mobile, we'd love to hear them too - we're curious creatures!  🙂

@Staliger wrote:

@Lm12 Just disable your autopay if it was enabled, and account would be closed automatically in 90 days.

This would be 90 days from the start of the suspension for a missed plan payment. However, if there is enough balance in the account to the renew, the plan will continue.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Lm12 

If you are not porting your public mobile number to another provider, I recommend you FIRST remove any payment card associated with the account, THEN contact the moderators to request cancellation of service.

This way, if you happen to have a payment card associated with the account, you can be certain a formal request of cancellation was also made should any further payments be charged to the card.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator, then select contact moderator, then select other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Lm12 Just disable your autopay if it was enabled, and account would be closed automatically in 90 days.

@Lm12 

Were sorry to see you go....any particular reason?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Lm12 

Easiest way is to  port your number to another company.  Once you port out, your PM account is cancelled.  You might want to remove your credit card information before porting out.  

If you don't want the number, then you can remove your credit card from autopay.  When you miss your next payment, your account will be suspended.  Once your account is suspended over 90 days, then your account will be permanently closed and number lost.  

Need Help? Let's chat.