Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor data?

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi all,

Happy holidays! Merry Christmas to all. 

Obviously we can check our usage in self serve page. But I am used to unlimited data and I find it a bit cumbersome logging in to my account / entering password ect. Is there a tool or app you suggest to monitor data? 

I am aware of some built in functions in android. How accurate is the android data monitor in settings. 

I am on the 6gb plan and don't watch a lot of YouTube/videos. I assume I should be okay?

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7

JLakerson

@jlarocque96 

I always use the data tracker built into my phone and have found it to be pretty accurate. What I find helpful is setting a data warning when I have reached a certain amount of data. If I have 2GB, then I would usually set my data warning to 1.5GB so I get a bit of a heads up when I don't have a lot left. My phone also has the function to turn off data to the amount that I set it to. This is obviously pretty helpful. I would suggest seeing if your phone has these similar functions. Otherwise, using data tracking apps would be a great alternative.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you don't stream music or videos then 6 GB should last quite a while.  Also only download any updates in Wi-Fi.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Delman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I find my android phones builtin data tracking very accurate. You just have to make sure you set your monthly usage reminder/alert to match your public mobile billing date.

Here is a recent article i found:

https://www.howtogeek.com/688184/how-to-track-your-data-usage-on-android/

I don't know of any third party apps, maybe others can recommend that. Personally, since this would be to much of a privacy risk for me I woudn't want any third party monitoring my data usage.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jlarocque96 

If you do not do that much streaming, you should be fine.  Most phones have data trackers, but you will need to reset with each 30 day cycle.  Public mobile billing cycle is not monthly, but every 30 days.  

There are apps also out there.  Some PM users will suggest android apps.  With my iPhones, I just reset each payment cycle and it is usually fairly accurate. 

Here is the help article:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

jlarocque96

Thank you! Just what I was wondering. If there was an app out there for this. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@jlarocque96 I use Data Witness PM. It hasn't been updated in awhile but I find it accurate on both of my accounts. It's on the Playstore.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Your android data and used data should be very close actually especially if you don't do too much mms, this is where your android well show more as it doesn't know Publicmobile system will not count it against your 6g.

You can set warning limit and cut off limit (which can be ignored so you can think of it as two warnings) and you will also receive sms when you are 74% and 90% in.

You could set your warning at 50% and see how far you got with the half of your data, then adjust your usage.

It will help if you off updates on data, restrict background data and opt in lie browsing/data saver on your browser

Need Help? Let's chat.