cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep same number

Matthews4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My friend lost his phone and can't sign into nothing or except and text messages with codes and can't sign into the community to email the mods what's he got to he's got his new sim but can't activate it 

11 REPLIES 11

@Matthews4 

Here is the message from the moderator....

For sure, we can still do the SIM swap the old way.

Advise our customer to submit a ticket and one of us will definitely respond fast. The queue is not very busy at this moment.

We are waiting for the ticket.

Or send a private message thru your community account or have him create a community account so he can submit his support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matthews4 : He doesn't need the SIM to access the email account. Lines are getting crossed up here. All he needs is an internet connection.

If he can access the email inbox then he can reset his password. Then he can log in. Then he can change the SIM himself and send a code to that same email inbox. Then he can allow the SIM change.

This is assuming he did in fact create a self-serve account to begin with. If he activated in a store then it's optional to create the account. If he activated himself then the account was created in that process.

@Matthews4 wrote:

He don't have access to the email account till he gets the sim

he can still use Community Account to contact Mod and I believe Mod can help to do a SIM SWAP as long as he can provide all the answer to the security questions.  

He opened ticket with Mod yet? or you might be able to help if to open the ticket., i think.. but he will have to provide you with all the answers

@Matthews4 

Just do it the old way I don't see this being an issue as this exact point was brought up in the announcement. Send the private message explaining 2FA can 't be used. 

If you need some private advice send me a private message and I will explain what is needed the old way....I have had to do it many times.  i have the ear of a mod....I will confirm for you. Get your friend to gather his info.

@Matthews4 

using SMS as the only 2FA is dangerous...

This is where you use one of the backup codes you were instructed to save when you enabled 2-step verification on the account.  Those codes are for exactly this sort of situation and would have you back into the account in seconds (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538).  Even a backup phone number would have fixed this (it could have been a voice/land-line).  Lacking backup codes, the only option is to use the account recovery form (verify your identity) to try and regain access to the account.

The only account recovery option Google provides starts at https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery  

Matthews4

He don't have access to the email account till he gets the sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matthews4 : If it's an active account (and not past 3 months suspended) then he only needs to get the SIM changed on his account. If he has access to the inbox of the email used at activation then he can do it himself if he can log in to his account. Otherwise, he'll need the moderators to change it. He doesn't need to fully activate a whole new account.

Matthews4

Yes he just needs to activate new sim with his old number then he can get his Google account code so he can log into his Google account so he can go to find his phone so the problem is he can't get his activation code that public mobile wants to text to his phone that is list or they want to email it to him which he can't remember the password to 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Matthews4   You friend should still able to logon to Community without issue and open ticket with Mod.  There is no 2FA to logon to Community and no phone text need to setup Community account (in case it wasn't setup yet)

Same with My Account, as long as he has the credentials, he can logon without issue.  Even he forgot , he can use Forgot password.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Matthews4 

Does he need to activate his sim card or swap it in his account to gain access to his service?

Edit:

Well he knows his account info which is all that counts. He will have to verify the account and then further prove his identity to swap his sim card the same way we did for months before the recently updated 2FA security measures. Hopefully he has access to the info of the card on file this is important.

Try to have him only be able to provide the info for the first section's #1 and #2 he will need the other info for further verification. Put lost phone/swap sim in the subject line and follow these instructions.....

Spoiler

Send a private message...   Contact the moderators by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the moderators click below : https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Matthews4 wrote:

My friend lost his phone and can't sign into nothing or except and text messages with codes and can't sign into the community to email the mods what's he got to he's got his new sim but can't activate it 

Your friend needs to contact a moderator. Is there another computer or device they can use to do this.

Contact a moderator (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

(second option below is easiest to submit a ticket)

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.

• Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.