cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep old number from stolen phone

MaPa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,
I got my phone stolen last week, so I went to self serve to suspend the service, then ordered a new SIM card. I understand I'll need to change the SIM card number in self serve as well. My question is how do I keep my old phone number? Because if I go to the change phone number tab, it looks like I can only request another number or transfert one from another provider. I'm already a public mobile customer, is there any way I can retrieve my old cell phone number (that got stolen) and allocate it to my new sim card?
Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

MaPa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great, thanks for the help everyone 🙂

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Your old number and your old sim are associated with your account

You only need to change the sim number in your account and your new sim will be associated with your old number

I'm assuming that person who stole your phone didn't gain access to your account and didn't change your number

If they did that you still may be able to get your number back if it was Telus number originally and if it wasn't assigned. You would need to contact moderators through Simon. 

If you ported from another provider (not Koodo or Telus) you are probably out of luck, unless you don't mind getting service with them again, their support may help you with that

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

So if I understand correct you logged into self serve account and suspended your service. Very good.

Once you get new sim just log back into self serve account. 

"click change sim" on right hand side under my profile.

Enter new sim card.

Then go "found phone"

Then your good to go with your number 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MaPa wrote:

Hi there,
I got my phone stolen last week, so I went to self serve to suspend the service, then ordered a new SIM card. I understand I'll need to change the SIM card number in self serve as well. My question is how do I keep my old phone number? Because if I go to the change phone number tab, it looks like I can only request another number or transfert one from another provider. I'm already a public mobile customer, is there any way I can retrieve my old cell phone number (that got stolen) and allocate it to my new sim card?
Thank you

@MaPa  You need to select the Change SIM card option not the change Phone number option.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Once you change the sim in your self-serve your sim will be tied to your old number

Do not activate your sim just change it in your self-serve

Need Help? Let's chat.