cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my locaitons?

bretskigretzky
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey community,

Since I've switched over to PM, I've noticed that my phone number is located in Vancouver but I live in Victoria. I'd like to find a way to change my locale without changing my phone number but am not finding a self-service option to do this. I'd just like to know if I'm missing anything.

Thank you in advance.

Brett

17 REPLIES 17

@bretskigretzky wrote:

Whether or not a service is available, I can understand that, but impossible isn't what I'd use to describe this. My number was originally issued by Rogers in Vancouver. I switched over to Telus and then moved to Victoria mid-contract. I then had them change my locale to Victoria so ppl here wouldn't have to call me long distance (not that anyone really incurs a charge anymore but to avoid the annoying "you have dialed a long distance number" message). Telus was able to change the local to avoid all that mess.

Now that I've switched to PM, it seems that the number has been swung back to a Vancouver locale. I know that soft of thing can be changed, I just don't know if PM can do it. Seems like I need to chat with a mod for this.

It actually is impossible.  While this is blunt, a phone number's assigned city cannot be changed under any circumstances.

Phone numbers are set in stone as being assigned to specific rate centre/municipality and cannot be changed. There's nothing any carrier can do for you except to advise you to change your phone number if you wish to have a loocal phone number for others to call you.

Previously, Telus could not have made your phone number a Victoria phone number unless they actually changed your phone number. If they told you otherwise, they are mistaken.

Your only real choices are to change your phone number or to keep it with the understanding that others might have to pay long distance to call you.

If you don't wish to lose your current phone number but still wish to have a number local to

Victoria, you will need to pay for a second phone number and either carry both phones with you are forward calls to one to the other.

Also, this is not something that you need to be contacting moderators for. If you decide to change your phone number, that can be done from by logging into your account at selfserve.publicmobile.ca

DinoFlint
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In my undersatnding the phone numbers are attached to one location (so the phone towers can find them). So, if you change the area code, you will have to get a new phone number from that area service.

For example you can't have a phone number from Montreal working in Vancouver and expecting not to pay longdistance charges. The phone will try to connect to a Montreal tower, even if you call your home phone from Vancouver, and the phone sits in front of you :]

@bretskigretzky to contact a moderator . Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon . Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket ) Welcome to PM. 

@bretskigretzky wrote:

Whether or not a service is available, I can understand that, but impossible isn't what I'd use to describe this. My number was originally issued by Rogers in Vancouver. I switched over to Telus and then moved to Victoria mid-contract. I then had them change my locale to Victoria so ppl here wouldn't have to call me long distance (not that anyone really incurs a charge anymore but to avoid the annoying "you have dialed a long distance number" message). Telus was able to change the local to avoid all that mess.

Now that I've switched to PM, it seems that the number has been swung back to a Vancouver locale. I know that soft of thing can be changed, I just don't know if PM can do it. Seems like I need to chat with a mod for this.

bretskigretzky
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@bretskigretzky wrote:

Hey community,

Since I've switched over to PM, I've noticed that my phone number is located in Vancouver but I live in Victoria. I'd like to find a way to change my locale without changing my phone number but am not finding a self-service option to do this. I'd just like to know if I'm missing anything.

Thank you in advance.

Brett

You're asking the impossible. You can't change phone number's location. If you want a Victoria number, you have to change it. If you want both Victoria and Vancouver numbers, you'll need a second account.

Theknight
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There's an option to update your address on your profile.. but there's no any advantage of of changing your location . Public mobile has very flexible options

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thankyou. I have something similar but with a US number and the textfree app.

@popping wrote:

@popping wrote:

@zblackma wrote:

Do you still have to make the monthly call with the $5 in the account?

No.  Fongo will not cancel your account if there is fund in the account.

I sometime use the Fongo fund to call US number.

You can try the call always forward for a month first before adding $5.

BTW, if you miss the monthly call out, you can get your number back within 90 days after it was canceled.  But Fongo will ask you to add $5 before Fongo giving back your Fongo number.

Sorry for the wron info.

Read new Fongo dormant account policy.

You need call out at least once every 90 days

If you have fund in your account, you will be charged $1 dormant fee every 90 days.

You account will be canceled if your account does not have money to pay the dormant fee.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029677892-Fongo-Dormant-Account-Policy

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@popping wrote:

@zblackma wrote:

BTW, if you miss the monthly call out, you can get your number back within 90 days after it was canceled.  But Fongo will ask you to add $5 before Fongo giving back your Fongo number.

Sorry for the wrong info.

Read new Fongo dormant account policy.

You need call out at least once every 90 days

If you have fund in your account, you will be charged $1 dormant fee every 90 days.

You account will be canceled if your account does not have money to pay the dormant fee.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029677892-Fongo-Dormant-Account-Policy

Update: I checked my account with $0 balance.  My $5 was used to pay the dormant fee,  I am setting my monthly calendar alarm to remind me to call out at least once per month instead of adding more fund to my Fongo mobile app account.

popping

@zblackma wrote:

Read new policy

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@popping wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Thanks for the fongo tip.

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @bretskigretzky 

It depends on the number exchange, not on the provider

Sorry i don't think anything could be done short of changing the number

If people with the landline can't reach you or have to pay long distance you could get a free phone number through fongo that is local to them and forward it for free to your cell number, so they can dial you for free. This is what i do for my out of province family member

@gblackma 

Please note that Fongo makes it money from you to call out.  You need to call out at least once a month IIRC to keep your number.  Otherwise, Fongo will cancel your number.  I added $5 to my Fongo account.  Fongo will not cancel your number if you have fund in your account.

popping

@gblackma wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @bretskigretzky 

If people with the landline can't reach you or have to pay long distance you could get a free phone number through fongo that is local to them and forward it for free to your cell number, so they can dial you for free. This is what i do for my out of province family member

@gblackma 

Please note that Fongo makes it money from you to call out.  You need to call out at least once a month IIRC to keep your number.  Otherwise, Fongo will cancel your number.  I added $5 to my Fongo account.  Fongo will not cancel your number if you have fund in your account.

Read Fongo new policy

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@bretskigretzky wrote:

Hey community,

Thank you in advance.

Brett

Brett, do you have a 778 area code with a Vancouver prefix after that?  The only thing it will affect is people here in Victoria calling you from a landline.  Not sure if the Mods can change the location of your number so that it is a local call for the landlines in Victoria.  Glad to see more Victorians on here.  I am out in Colwood

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @bretskigretzky 

popping

@bretskigretzky wrote:

Hey community,

Thank you in advance.

Brett

1. Login to your self-serve account.

2. Click on the Change number link on the overview page after login

3. Select a new phone number

4. Select BC-VICTOR to pick you new number.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could try changing your number but I don't think if you can keep your existing and change your locale.  You can only change your phone# once every 40 days 

To change your phone number: sign in to Self-Serve, select ‘Change Number' under 'My Profile' on the Overview page. Here, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@bretskigretzky wrote:

Hey community,

Thank you in advance.

Brett

You are allowed to change your phone number, maximum once every 30 days.

Change Your Phone Number

To change your phone number: sign in to Self-Serve, select ‘Change Number' under 'My Profile' on the Overview page. Here, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.

If you mean you want to change your area code, but keep the same remaining 7 digits of your phone, you would have to ask Moderators to see if that number is available.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @bretskigretzky 

Need Help? Let's chat.