cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

AllanaHawkes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I took my SIM card out today and when I put it back in, it gives me a message of no sim or invalid sim. I have turned my phone off and on and nothing changes. 

When I try to log in to my account it says it’s invalid and wen I try to change my password it wants to send me a text but I cannot receive it because my phone shows no sim. Please help!! I have been a customer for about 6 months and have been very happy with PM 

41 REPLIES 41

Here to start a new question @galen ...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/getting_started

you will have more visibility!! And give us more details...

galen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi, i just bought a samsung s7 edge, and my sms. is not sending any texts.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

EDIT: @CalgaryBen your response came in as I was typing the above.  Please have a look as to why it's slightly more than simple etiquette.  

Ah, so it's written afterall!  Fair enough; figured this was a one-off and wouldn't really have altered the outcome.  While I admit I haven't looked over the post referenced (TL;DR), I understand the spirit of it...

@Anonymous wrote:

Right. So Lieux should have the solution because he said to contact the moderator. 

Edit: And Alex888 would be a close second because he was the first to say damaged SIM. (unless he edited it after the fact 🙂 )

You're right!  I didn't notice relevant parts while skimming through.  Some crazy subconscious selective reading going on... I think the sleep deprivation is getting to me...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

Just to confirm how much of a non-threat I am to all who are keeping score, I can’t even find how to change the solution, nor do I care. Please feel free to change it. 

I vote leave it alone and carry on with life. Now you know.

@AllanaHawkes We don't really care that much which post you picked as solution, BUT we are really pleased you were polite patient AND let us know how your issues were finally  resolved. Robot Very Happy

Welcome aboard.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

AllanaHawkes

Just to confirm how much of a non-threat I am to all who are keeping score, I can’t even find how to change the solution, nor do I care. Please feel free to change it. 

AllanaHawkes

Got it

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It doesn't matter all THAT much of course. 🙂

Yeah, I really don't see any fault in the way @AllanaHawkes marked her follow-up as the solution. We're getting overly hung-up on unwritten etiquette!  Plus it's probably a one-off, rather than a habitual/regular thing...

I think @Luddite's post actually nailed the issue, and the solution was for @AllanaHawkes to replace the SIM, which she needed Moderator help to do because of the circumstances and not having a Self-Serve account (and the Catch-22 of trying to create one, without use of her phone).

Right. So Lieux should have the solution because he said to contact the moderator.

Yes...unwritten etiquette. That's why I used the term "frowned upon". And also said that it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: And Alex888 would be a close second because he was the first to say damaged SIM. (unless he edited it after the fact 🙂 )

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

As a newbie, I made an assumption that I should say it had been solved, no idea of the etiquette! 

@AllanaHawkes just to give a little persepctive on why, it's to do with community rewards.  [More about awards here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164 .]  I am definitely not saying you are doing this, but one potential way of trying to "game" the system to try to get a higher level of community reward would to start marking your own replies to your own threads as solutions, as this is a component of how the reward rankings are calculated.  [The formula and weightings to each component is kept confidential, to prevent people trying to game, but it definitely involves posting activity, bravos received, solutions received, and possibly other metrics.]

EDIT: @CalgaryBen your response came in as I was typing the above.  Please have a look as to why it's slightly more than simple etiquette.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@Anonymous wrote:

It doesn't matter all THAT much of course. 🙂

Yeah, I really don't see any fault in the way @AllanaHawkes marked her follow-up as the solution. We're getting overly hung-up on unwritten etiquette!  Plus it's probably a one-off, rather than a habitual/regular thing...

I think @Luddite's post actually nailed the issue, and the solution was for @AllanaHawkes to replace the SIM, which she needed Moderator help to do because of the circumstances and not having a Self-Serve account (and the Catch-22 of trying to create one, without use of her phone).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

As a newbie, I made an assumption that I should say it had been solved, no idea of the etiquette! Haha tell me how to un-solve it and I will gladly take it off. Wasn’t meant as a props to myself, just thought it was saying it was solved. 

You're right. There are some forums that work that way. That an OP basically "closes" a thread they started.

Not here.

Right click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the post you chose as the solution and undo it and then select another post. Luddite beat me to it.

As a newbie...now you know. It doesn't matter all THAT much of course. 🙂

@AllanaHawkes Which do you prefer I will change it for you? But I think you can just go to the current solution and click "not the solution" to remove it and then pick another. Try clicking the 3 dots in the upper right of your "solution" post.

AllanaHawkes

As a newbie, I made an assumption that I should say it had been solved, no idea of the etiquette! Haha tell me how to un-solve it and I will gladly take it off. Wasn’t meant as a props to myself, just thought it was saying it was solved. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

While all were helpful, none was a solution. Thanks for your feedback, though

It has been refreshing to see a positive attitude and not setting ones hair on fire as so often happens around here.

I wouldn't normally call out a newb on a solution but now that it's been done...either of post 1 or post 2 could be the solution. Probably really post 2.

Since you're new, it's kinda frowned upon to give oneself a solution around here.

AllanaHawkes

While all were helpful, none was a solution. Thanks for your feedback, though

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

SO....after much trial and error, my self serve had not yet been set up and my SIM card was damaged! Now, with assistance from PM I have accessed my account, set up my self serve, installed a new sim and have a big smile on my face once again! Thank you to everyone who offered tips and suggestions and support, I am grateful for the help and still very happy that I switched to PM!! 

@AllanaHawkes suggestion: if someone else's reply above was helpful in getting to the resolution, you should probably mark their reply as the solution, rather than your own.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

Thanks for the follow-up and update @AllanaHawkes!  And for keeping such a positive attitude through all of this, when most people would've expressed grief and frustration!

Cheers!

AllanaHawkes

SO....after much trial and error, my self serve had not yet been set up and my SIM card was damaged! Now, with assistance from PM I have accessed my account, set up my self serve, installed a new sim and have a big smile on my face once again! Thank you to everyone who offered tips and suggestions and support, I am grateful for the help and still very happy that I switched to PM!! 

AllanaHawkes

No kidding! He owes me a drink!! Haha 

CalgaryBen

@galen wrote:

hello i have tried to start my new sim card but it showing that " sim not supported"

Hi @galen, what model of phone do you have, and are you sure it's unlocked?

galen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hello i have tried to start my new sim card but it showing that " sim not supported"

CalgaryBen

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

I’m wondering if I put an active sim from someone else’s device in my phone and attempt a login to my account, do you think the sms come through to me? 

Unfortunately you won't receive SMS sent to your number if someone else's SIM card is inserted.  Hopefully the moderators will respond to your query in a timely manner and can get it sorted for you!

You can give your friend a hard time for his iPad zapping your SIM card!  JK...

AllanaHawkes

Yes that’s exactly what it shows! And when I put it in the other phone it showed no sim still, so I now know from that, my old sim is damaged. I’m wondering if I put an active sim from someone else’s device in my phone and attempt a login to my account, do you think the sms come through to me? 

CalgaryBen

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

I have also shined up the SIM card and tried multiple times with restarting the phone and using tape on the SIM as suggested, still no luck! 

I do have an extra SIM card but, as you said, I need to be able to get into my account in order to use it anyhow. 

A lesson in exercising patience is never a bad thing right?! :)) 

Any luck on using the SIM card in your spare/old unlocked phone that you were charging up?

With your extra SIM ... if you insert it into your iPhone, it should show "No Service", but not "No SIM Card Inserted".  Is that the case?  Just looking for further affirmation that your old SIM card may have gotten damaged.  It happens; these are considered consumables...

AllanaHawkes

Haha yep, I got that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

Yes I have the initial email and it’s the same email address that I am using to login so I’m not sure why it won’t recognize it....very odd! I have also shined up the SIM card and tried multiple times with restarting the phone and using tape on the SIM as suggested, still no luck! 

I do have an extra SIM card but, as you said, I need to be able to get into my account in order to use it anyhow. 

Just for clarity...the tape idea is on the back of the card...not the contacts. And it's for if the card has some wiggle room so as to tighten it in the slot. Like a shim.

I know...obvious...but things sometimes need to be clear.

AllanaHawkes

Yes I have the initial email and it’s the same email address that I am using to login so I’m not sure why it won’t recognize it....very odd! I have also shined up the SIM card and tried multiple times with restarting the phone and using tape on the SIM as suggested, still no luck! 

CalgaryBen

@AllanaHawkes wrote:

I am not able to login because I receive the message that my email isn’t recognized. 

@AllanaHawkes if you keep all your e-mails (or at least >6 months worth, since you said you joined 6 months ago), can you search your mailbox for a message with the subject "Your Public Mobile Activation Details"?  If you can find it, then you'll see the message is sent "To" your PM account number, but if you're viewing in the native iOS mail app, you can tap on the number and you'll see which e-mail address the welcome message was sent to, and maybe that will get you on your way to logging into your account.

In any case, did you try cleaning the contacts so they're nice and shiny and gold coloured, and re-inserting?  I've found that a few of my iPhones have reported "No SIM Card Inserted" when the SIM card is a bit dirty, or perhaps weren't seated just right in the tray.

It doesn't hurt to spend $10 and keep a spare SIM card handy just in case, for instances like this.  Of course, that's only useful if you can get into your account in the first place!

Glad you're taking this in stride to work towards a solution.  I know it's frustrating!  Once you get service back up, I recommend downloading a free app called Voico, since you can at least use it to call out (on WiFi or cellular data) with your phone number showing up in the Caller ID.

It's your "Catch 22" day! Robot Sad

Hope it ends soon.

AllanaHawkes

I’ve got a 1gig plan and everything is active. I just had my monthly renewal on the 1st. 

I am not able to login because I receive the message that my email isn’t recognized. I tried to create an account and it asks me to type in my phone number to receive an sms code. I can’t reciece an sms without a sim in my iPhone because it’s now running on wifi and I am only receiving iMessage. Kind of feel like it’s a rock and a hard place scenario haha! 

Need Help? Let's chat.