cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an unauthorized port text and we cant log in to self serve

andrewface
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We got an unauthorized port text message about an hour ago but we cant log in to self serve to submit a ticket as we are locked out. Please help as we want to make sure the number does not get transferred. 

31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Isn't the ability to port your number pretty much common knowledge across all carriers at this point? I don't get why keep it on the down low?

How might one explain the somewhat repetitive questions asking "can I port my number?".

If it's so familiar to people then why make a whole thread talking about something that should be obvious

My guess is that the CRTC laid down the hammer telling the providers to do something. The way feet were dragged, the providers weren't interested in implementing something out of the goodness of their hearts.

Fraudulent ports were also somewhat the responsibility of the customer. Yet there they are all over social media with all kinds of private information showing. Or stupid easy passwords for when it mattered.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Isn't the ability to port your number pretty much common knowledge across all carriers at this point? I don't get why keep it on the down low?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

🙂

@computergeek541  @Anonymous 

That's ridiculous....the vast majority of consumers know you can freely port your phone number from carrier to carrier. Public mobile should be informing its customers at the very least as to the extra port protections they have employed to give them extra assurance that their accounts are protected from most fraudulent ports. This is a good thing .....

Public mobiles plan prices might be cheap but peace of mind is priceless!

They do. When you port out. Or if a fraudulent attempt is made.

I've long been openly exclaiming to the company that they should do something about this. Now they have. They wrote about it in their help docs. Great. Carry on.

Yes for us measly regulars it would've been nice to have heard about it with some interjection in a wondering thread like they did for the gift text.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

i guess I'll have to make it my mission to get the word out to the other 200,000+?customers out there that don't have a clue.

Why go about getting any word out? If they're porting out then they'll get this text. If they didn't want to port out then they'll get this text.

Confirm/cancel/ignore. Default ignore/fail. Done.

I say this is great for customers. A little extra step for those leaving. Tough. You're leaving. Do a little leg work. 🙂

I suspect Public Mobile doesn't really want to advertise how customers can leave and take their numbers to other carriers.

And nor should they but it's all moot now 🙂

@computergeek541  @Anonymous 

That's ridiculous....the vast majority of consumers know you can freely port your phone number from carrier to carrier. Public mobile should be informing its customers at the very least as to the extra port protections they have employed to give them extra assurance that their accounts are protected from most fraudulent ports. This is a good thing .....

Public mobiles plan prices might be cheap but peace of mind is priceless!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

i guess I'll have to make it my mission to get the word out to the other 200,000+?customers out there that don't have a clue.

Why go about getting any word out? If they're porting out then they'll get this text. If they didn't want to port out then they'll get this text.

I say this is great for customers. A little extra step for those leaving. Tough. You're leaving. Do a little leg work. 🙂

I suspect Public Mobile doesn't really want to advertise how customers can leave and take their numbers to other carriers.

And nor should they but it's all moot now 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Pawprints1986

This is great to see that if you don't respond the request is canceled ! So much better than  automatically ported of no response 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Thanks......now that I know i guess I'll have to make it my mission to get the word out to the other 200,000+?customers out there that don't have a clue. At least I've gotten the ball rolling with @andrewface and @Pawprints1986  ......i would make a thread about it but it would probably just get merged with this one........2 down a few hundred thousand to go!

@darlicious The most current information has been updated to the Get Help pages.  The method for replying to Public Mobile has changed.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

andrewface

So the additional port protection (opt-in text) is now active? I literally got the negative consent text from PM yesterday and am still a little worried that someone may try it again when I dont have as much time to take action.

Pawprints1986

@darlicious well, I'm glad you hang around here alot 😉 lol you've helped me a bunch over time since March

Even if a roundabout way though I'm glad they are doing something more concrete in some way against port fraud than change your name and address in your profile and hope for the best lol I've found that odd since I signed up. That 2 hour window that at least it used to be I remember saying when I work that I'd easily go 3 hours with my phone locked in my work locker, I'd have no clue till it was too late with that 2 hour window. Hopefully in some way now you'd have to confirm that you *do* wish to port out, and not responding means to staff that it was fraudulent and you aren't aware yet

@Pawprints1986 

There was no announcement, no thread, no nothing......apparently you have to randomly come across it when you spend an inordinate amount of time here like I do!

@computergeek541 

Well thats a strange coincidence......but public mobile should really inform its customers better in regards to our porting protection. So two weeks ago I randomly find out we had additional porting protection that had been in effect for a couple of weeks at most then shortly afterwards they suspended that and again yesterday I randomly find that is not the case......and a few hours later as of today it's back in effect. I only find that out after searching for the other thread and complaining about it.......after @Pawprints1986 tagged me and questioned our porting protection. This does not give me confidence in how much priority public mobile puts into our account security.

Pawprints1986

@computergeek541 is there a post about this that I've missed in my brain foggy state (chronic illness flare) or will there be soon? I'm curious what's being put in place 🙂 definitely in the right direction it sounds like... 

@darlicious The procedure requiring the user to reply to a text message to confirm the desire to port out was discontinued shortly after my post. It is being re-implemented as of today with some minor changes.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/quot-Fido-quot-trying-to-steal-my-...

@Pawprints1986 

This is from the above thread two weeks ago but @andrewface experience today contradicts this perhaps @Catherine_T  could clarify if this is in effect or if it is working properly.

Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Re: "Fido" trying to steal my brand new phone number, is this normal?!

@Culter As long as the other person does not have access to your active Public Mobile sim card, the other person cannot approve porting request on your behalf. As of August 5, 2020, Public Mobile requires departing customers to confirm any port out request via text message.  That being said, it would be a good idea to change your self serve password so that someone can't change the active sim card.

@Pawprints1986 

Yes I'm a little confused on that as there was a thread a week ago saying it had been changed requiring you to only contact the moderators if you wish to port.

Pawprints1986

@darlicious mine contains alot of different  symbols that I couldn't duplicate right now even if I tried without logging in. I hope they never show up on anyone's caller ID, it would look like a spam but possibly. For example "©°d¥" instead of  Cody type thing

But that said, I wish they'd reverse it to where if you DO want to port that action is required, even if it takes longer it's more secure. Then that way no action by you from your current phone number, no fraudulent port. Even if you had to call the main telus port help line to authorize, I'd be happier with that!

Do they have any plans to incorporate some sort of stronger port protection?

@andrewface 

Good plan. It makes It almost impossible to port out if they don't know your name on account. Very few mobile providers give you an option to not use your real name.

Yours truly,

Dolly Parton

andrewface

thanks for that. I do already use most of these safety measures and I don't use my real a name, account name or email address on the community forums. I took your advice and changed my name on my account so that any future port attempts should be blocked.  Also removed my PM number from all of my financial accounts in favour of an alternate. 

@andrewface 

Once you have worked everything out with the moderators and gain access to your account you need to do a personal identity security check starting with your name on your account. Slightly change the spelling of your name, add a name, make up a new name become Peter Parker, James Bond or Margaret Thatcher just keep that information completely to yourself. Someone knows your account #, phone # and name (Andrew face?) and create a new community profile if that is your name.

Check your social media accounts and remove any references to personal identifiers and info. Birthdates, address, phone #, email etc....

Check all financial related accounts and change your passwords. Then take the time and use a few different emails where possible so that your bank or financial institution contact email is different from PayPal and Amazon and your credit cards outside of your banks are different again as well as your pm login.

Sign out of all accounts on your phone and personal devices....log in everytime you access any account. Add any additional verifiers or layers of security offered such as personal security questions after logging in online banking. Add security words to credit cards when calling by phone so that no changes or info will be released without that security word.

I have contact email, phone # removed from online banking and telephone banking suspended. All communication from bank has to be done by mail or in person with two pieces of ID. Convenience comes at a price don't make it your lifes savings. Almost losing your phone number was just the tip of the iceberg.

andrewface

The mod team said the port was cancelled and suggested to set stronger passwords on my accounts, but I don't really see how that stops someone from trying a port. Anyway, seems to be solved for now. I was able to reset my self-serve password myself through the forgot password link (the account lock out was only temporary). thanks all for your help. 

shorty1

what is the error message when you try to log in

@andrewface wrote:

It seems to be opposite as the text said if I requested a port then do nothing. So if I hadn't requested the cancellation in time someone could have stolen my number?

Hi @andrewface ,

I hope that did not happen.

Do you still have services?

What is the latest from the moderators, about getting back into your account?

andrewface

It seems to be opposite as the text said if I requested a port then do nothing. So if I hadn't requested the cancellation in time someone could have stolen my number?

andrewface

Thanks, in touch with the mod team now so should be good. A little concerning though - What if we didn't contact them in time to cancel the port?

@andrewface yeah they need to change that....

type "unauthorized port" for the subject title 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

andrewface

No it said PM received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested this transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request please use the chat bot and type in "unauthorized port". We tried this and it just returned information on how to port. 

I sent a message to the mod team and so far the number still has not been cancelled/transferred. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@andrewface wrote:

We got an unauthorized port text message about an hour ago but we cant log in to self serve to submit a ticket as we are locked out. Please help as we want to make sure the number does not get transferred. 

Hi @andrewface ,

Was it something asking you to verify? Did you? If you did not approve, you should be okay.

But you should log into you self serve and change your security password and general password.

Does your forgot password option work? IF not, contact the moderators via private message using this link to get you back into your My Account.

Need Help? Let's chat.