cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?


@geopublic wrote:

If your advice is to wait then please explain what happens when the hacker decides to port his number out of PM?


Good point!!!!

I dont know. If I block it as a stolen/lost phone in my account, could somebody port it to another provider???

 

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?


@pavellyzhin wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

If your advice is to wait then please explain what happens when the hacker decides to port his number out of PM?


Good point!!!!

I dont know. If I block it as a stolen/lost phone in my account, could somebody port it to another provider???

 


The line has to be active, so if you were to report it lost/stolen, they shouldn't be able to port it.  For @geopublic, Public Mobile should be telling @pavellyzhin this, not you or I, and it should have been conveyed more than a week ago.  

 

 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

@pavellyzhin, tip to get you at least able to phone in and out,

 

Setup the fongo app on your phone.  You will be able to get a free Canadian number from almost all areas of the country and use it as a free calling for now, and possible backup system in the future should something affect your regular service again.

 

You can use it on WiFi, and when you have cellular data back, it will also be available on that.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?


@Pizzaeh wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@stonechucker Agree with some of what you're saying.

 

You say that the customers can purchase a new SIM card, switch it in Self-Serve and continue on.  I completely disagree with you on that point.  The customer should wait until they have been informed by Public Mobile that it is safe to do so.  Other customers telling the affected customers to go ahead and switch the SIM card, without knowing the details of how it occurred, is incorrect, in my opinion and is just asking for trouble.  We can agree to disagree.  

 

 


If your advice is to wait then please explain what happens when the hacker decides to port his number out of PM?


@geopublic please read all the replies.... Again, there should be a process in place for this, and Public Mobile's teams should be informing the customers promptyl on what to do, after being informed of the problem.  This information should come well before 10 days, otherwise, we'll have people like @geopublic saying nonsense like the hacker is going to port out their number unless they change the SIM card pronto.   Tldr version: Don't leave the customer in the dark and tell them what they should do, as soon as possible.   

 

This forum is great for helping out on service issues, but when it comes to security issues, I would have to defer to Public Mobile to take the lead on that.

 

 


Nonesense? So again you're assuming that nobody in this community knows anything about security. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

Update:

Day 13 (April 8). Still no changes. I got a message yesterday from Mod imforming me that "the issue is still work in progress".

 

Today was my renewal day.  My old credit card was compromised by PM sim card swap/cloning and because that "issue is still in progress" I did not entered a new cc info. So, my account has been suspended! OMG!

 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?


@pavellyzhin wrote:

Update:

Day 13 (April 8). Still no changes. I got a message yesterday from Mod imforming me that "the issue is still work in progress".

 

Today was my renewal day.  My old credit card was compromised by PM sim card swap/cloning and because that "issue is still in progress" I did not entered a new cc info. So, my account has been suspended! OMG!

 


What a frickin' adventure.

But it does stand to reason. No pay, no get. Even though you haven't got. 🙂

Man.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

Interesting read

 

 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

@pavellyzhin I thought you ported your number out to Rogers? 

 

In all honesty, I think your password was compromised either due to another website you use being hacked, or through a phishing attempt. Was your PM number new from PM or was it ported in from another provider? The reason I ask is because if it was a new number, a simple lookup would tell them that this number is from PM and they could try using that compromised password and voila they're into your selfserve account. If it was ported in, they likely hacked your email first and saw some emails from PM which lead them to hack this account. Just trying to figure out the extent of this hack. Your other accounts which are associated with your email may be vulnerable. 

 

I would suggest you sign up for a new gmail account, change your email in selfserve, and change your password. Then get a new SIM card and change your account over to that SIM ASAP. While I completely agree that PM should have sent you a rush SIM card by overnight courier, you can't be relying on other's actions to fix your own problems, especially with how unresponsive the mods are around here and the fact they are not taking charge of your issues. 

 

However, I find it laughable that people think this is a cloned SIM or some kind of man in the middle attack. Unless you are a high level executive (which I doubt as you would probably have cell service with one of the big 3), having a hacker go to that extent to take over your accounts is ridiculous. Considering most data (especially passwords and account information) is sent encrypted nowadays, and SIM cards are VERY difficult to clone, not to mention you would need access to the original card, I seriously doubt this is what happened. 

 

I would suggest following what everyone is saying here and:

1) Secure your account (new email, new password)

2) Get a new SIM

3) Change your account over to the new SIM 

4) Done, enjoy having your old number back. 

5) Do it quick as others have mentioned the hacker could just as easily port your number out since they have your account number if they also have access to your self serve account. 

 

Good luck!

 

Edit: Your phone number will not be lost until 90 days after your plan expires. If you cannot add a credit card to your account you can buy a voucher in store when you purchase your SIM. 

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

Thank you for all these recomendations. And no, I did not port my number two Rogers. I just use a second sim card in the phone. I still have a hope that one day PM will fix it. Ive been with PM for a few years with no complains until recently.  

 

PM fraud department has been investigation this issue for almost two weeks now. Do you really think if it was so easy to fix or the problem was on my site they will not tell me about it? 

 


@steff12321 wrote:

@pavellyzhin I thought you ported your number out to Rogers? 

 

In all honesty, I think your password was compromised either due to another website you use being hacked, or through a phishing attempt. Was your PM number new from PM or was it ported in from another provider? The reason I ask is because if it was a new number, a simple lookup would tell them that this number is from PM and they could try using that compromised password and voila they're into your selfserve account. If it was ported in, they likely hacked your email first and saw some emails from PM which lead them to hack this account. Just trying to figure out the extent of this hack. Your other accounts which are associated with your email may be vulnerable. 

 

I would suggest you sign up for a new gmail account, change your email in selfserve, and change your password. Then get a new SIM card and change your account over to that SIM ASAP. While I completely agree that PM should have sent you a rush SIM card by overnight courier, you can't be relying on other's actions to fix your own problems, especially with how unresponsive the mods are around here and the fact they are not taking charge of your issues. 

 

However, I find it laughable that people think this is a cloned SIM or some kind of man in the middle attack. Unless you are a high level executive (which I doubt as you would probably have cell service with one of the big 3), having a hacker go to that extent to take over your accounts is ridiculous. Considering most data (especially passwords and account information) is sent encrypted nowadays, and SIM cards are VERY difficult to clone, not to mention you would need access to the original card, I seriously doubt this is what happened. 

 

I would suggest following what everyone is saying here and:

1) Secure your account (new email, new password)

2) Get a new SIM

3) Change your account over to the new SIM 

4) Done, enjoy having your old number back. 

5) Do it quick as others have mentioned the hacker could just as easily port your number out since they have your account number if they also have access to your self serve account. 

 

Good luck!

 

Edit: Your phone number will not be lost until 90 days after your plan expires. If you cannot add a credit card to your account you can buy a voucher in store when you purchase your SIM. 


 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?


@pavellyzhin wrote:

 

PM fraud department has been investigation this issue for almost two weeks now. Do you really think if it was so easy to fix or the problem was on my site they will not tell me about it? 

 

With all due respect to PM's fraud department, they may well be investigating what happened, but it shouldn't take two weeks to pull the log of IPs that have accessed your account recently. This is a budget provider and you need to do some of the heavy lifting yourself. 

 

If you have the patience to do so, by all means, keep waiting for their resolution to this issue. But as others have mentioned you can fix the problem yourself by just getting a new SIM card and activating your line on that SIM card. Also if this was a priority for public mobile to resolve, they would fix your issue of not having phone service before beginning their investigation - it's just common sense you fix the problem before trying to find out what happened. If my house caught fire I would call 911 or try and get a fire extinguisher before checking if I left the stove on, or if there are any electrical problems. 

 

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself - and as an added bonus you will be able to resolve your problems with PayPal following you getting your phone number back.

 

To be honest I am shocked they haven't couriered you a new SIM card yet, although there is a lack of customer service here, your case shouldn't be on the back burner for this long.