cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall Promo Data Usage Not Showing

mikefradette
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I switched over from the 90 day, Canada & US calling, International Text, 12GB plan to the Fall Promo plan and noticed that data usage no longer shows. How can I monitor data usage on the PM site or is this a short term bug or an issue with the Fall Promo plan?

I currently have interrupted service due to the plan change and I've sent @Mary_M a message about that.

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker the data usage details is only updated daily, but your data used on the overview page is updated pretty much real time.  Unfortunately, as much as I love Data Witness, it's also not 100% aligned to how PM measures data used, and never could be for the reasons I mentioned above in how the data is counted.  It's a great app and worth a look (even though I think @leighton mention an iPhone, maybe?) but it won't solve this "problem"

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@leighton,

i don't know if you mentioned your device of choice or not, but on an Android platform, you can install DataWitness from the play store, and configure it to monitor the incoming data.  It's software provide by a community member, @IWIK, and many of us on Android phones sync it with our accounts to see it locally.

i think PM posts end of day values in the self serve area, so this could be a problem verifying datawitness against the self serve reporting, but it is normally extremely close.

srlawren

@leighton the problem is that even they wouldn't be able to do that.  The issue is that the data is counted at the tower and not by what your phone actually receives.  [On ANY mobile network] there will be a small amount of packets that get lost or garbled and never seen by the phone but the tower has to re-send.  Thus, any app running on your phone would have no way to know to count those bytes.  I guess PM could theoretically offer an app that would get the usage data from PM's systems but then that would consume data to get to you so there's a bit of a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle at play here, where the act of monitoring the data would actually drive up your data usage a little.  You could mitigate that my having it only update when you're attached to a WiFi network but that would delay what you're seeing and you'd still often see inaccurate results.  FYI this system kind of already exists today--you can simply launch Safari and sign into Self-Serve to see how much data PM has tracked you having used.  

Did you sign in and check?  Was your data used up as I suspected?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

leighton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the quick reply.

If none of the apps on the phone can track the data usage accuatly including the iphone celluar data counter.

Could I please suggest Public Mobile to write an simple app that could track usage.

Thanks!

srlawren

@leighton the only data usage tracker that matters in terms of atually running out of data is the one in your self-serve account.  Sign in, and on the overview page (the page you land on when signing in), scroll down the My Add-ons section.  If you see your 12GB data showing with a usage amount of 11xxx/12288 MB used, then you have some left;  if you don't see the 12 GB data line in the My Add-ons section, then you have indeed used it all up and that's why the data has stopped flowing.

leighton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem. wanted to check the usage to see why my data connection is cut out.

I have noticed my LTE connection was slow last night, and then is completely out this morning, I have tracked my data usage with an app and also the ios system counter. Both reporting 11.4 GB used for the period and i should have 12gb till the 11th of this month.

mikefradette

@Jeremy_M fixed my account for me and everything works!!! Thank you so much!

mikefradette

I think @Jeremy_M is working on it for me.

@mikefradette,

You won't see the 12GB usage if you plan was not correctly changed .

Seem like your account need a good torque wrench to have it fixed.

Please send a private message to @Shazia_K :

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/966...

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@mikefradette,

You can monitor you DATA usage on the main page of your account :

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/

At the bottom of the page, you have "My Add-Ons"

Booster NameAmount Used
12GB Data
0  /  12288 MB

mikefradette

My plan didn't automatically change on my renewal like it was set up to. Maybe it had something to do with the system maintenance over the weekend. So I manually switched to the Fall Promo on Saturday, but my service is still interrupted even though it says my plan is active.

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Data usage shows on my account page.  On the main page under "My Add-Ons" it shows I have the 12GB data and then shows the usage next to it.  It could be a system glitch because you switched over from the other plan.  How many days has it been since the switch?

Need Help? Let's chat.