cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double porting of numbers

melonn22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I would like to port my wife's number from Rogers Mobility over to my account & plan with PM. I would like to port my own number to a different provider. To my understanding, when I port my number, my PM account will automatically close. Alternatively, if I port my wife's number, my own number will be lost. I'd like to keep both numbers. Billing can stay the same. 

Is there anyway to do this?

Thank you,

-Melvin

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Or.....this might be radical...you could just switch numbers with your wife. It's very common so it doesn't surprise anyone when you update contact information. You don't have to worry that a contact may be lost as you are both built in phone operators that can give out the "new" number or take a message.  It depends how important for work your personal number is but it's an option if you have to port a number out just switch SIM cards. I switched SIM cards from my (main) smartphone and my (back up) flip phone to take advantage of a promo and downgraded the one SIM to the$15 plan when inactivated the new SIM on a $40 plan. Then I just texted or told people to contact me on the other number. ( One was my # the other was my late partners# I kept both #'s)

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@melonn22 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@TheGx wrote:

If you want to keep both numbers, you can port your Public number first which will close your Public account, then port your wife number to a brand new Public account - you won't be able to have the same Public account as you had before, but at least this way you'll keep both numbers, and probably plans at Public will be cheaper in future and you can always switch both numbers to those plans anytime.

This is fine as long as OP does not have fund or referrals in his account.  PM is a prepaid provider.  Any available fund in OP account will be gone after OP's number is ported out.  We need OP to tell us the reason why he wants to keep his plan for his wife.

I don't want to close my PM account though. I like my current plan. It is better than my wife's Roger plan which is why I want to keep it and port over from Rogers.

How about you just keep your Public plan you like so much and don't do anything with that account, but port your wife number over to Public which will make her new Public plan cheaper with referrals etc - this way you have both numbers to keep and a combined lower cell bill since you should be saving $ just by porting your wife number over anyways.

melonn22

@Anonymous wrote:

@melonn22 wrote:

Hi,

I would like to port my wife's number from Rogers Mobility over to my account & plan with PM. I would like to port my own number to a different provider. To my understanding, when I port my number, my PM account will automatically close. Alternatively, if I port my wife's number, my own number will be lost. I'd like to keep both numbers. Billing can stay the same. 

Thank you,

-Melvin

For this scenario...no.

As already mentioned.

Edit: is this some kind of grandfathered plan or lots of rewards or balance?

Why can't you make a new account with current offerings and port your wifes number over?

Yes, it's better than the current offered plans.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@melonn22 wrote:

I don't want to close my PM account though. I like my current plan. It is better than my wife's Roger plan which is why I want to keep it and port over from Rogers.

This is your dilemma if your PM plan is no longer offered.  You can only keep one phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@melonn22 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,

-Melvin

For this scenario...no.

As already mentioned.

Edit: is this some kind of grandfathered plan or lots of rewards or balance?

Why can't you make a new account with current offerings and port your wifes number over?

melonn22

@popping wrote:

@TheGx wrote:

If you want to keep both numbers, you can port your Public number first which will close your Public account, then port your wife number to a brand new Public account - you won't be able to have the same Public account as you had before, but at least this way you'll keep both numbers, and probably plans at Public will be cheaper in future and you can always switch both numbers to those plans anytime.

This is fine as long as OP does not have fund or referrals in his account.  PM is a prepaid provider.  Any available fund in OP account will be gone after OP's number is ported out.  We need OP to tell us the reason why he wants to keep his plan for his wife.

melonn22

popping

@TheGx wrote:

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

popping

@wetcoaster wrote:

@GR wrote:

@melonn22 you should message the moderator_team and explain your situation to them and she what they can do 

No need to tie up moderator time, it's not possible to keep both numbers and the existing plan. (Any options discussed here years ago have been stopped by strict policy changes.)

Agree.  No provider in Canada will do phone number swap.

@GR wrote:

@melonn22 you should message the moderator_team and explain your situation to them and she what they can do 

No need to tie up moderator time, it's not possible to keep both numbers and the existing plan. (Any options discussed here years ago have been stopped by strict policy changes.)

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@melonn22 , I believe you have properly characterized the conundrum.  It can't be done unfortunately. 

GR
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.