cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does public mobile work on all phones?

ompatel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does the $10 public mobile plan work on a one plus 1?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 I don't know about every carrier, but there are a number of so called "world phones" out there with a single sku* that supports at least most carriers, such as the newer OnePlus products (OP5 and newer I beleive).  There are definitely others too.

* of course there are multiple skus for colour variations, storage variations, charger adapter varations and so on.  I mean this just from a network support perspective unlike many phones that have several sub-models for different regions

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

While the OnePlus One, may work, and so will any phone with 850 and/or 1900MHz 3g (Bands 2 and 5 for 3g) for voice, there isn't a phone in the world that work with everything single carrier.  Likewise, it just isn't possible for a carrier's sim card to work in and for the every phone ever made to be compatible with the network.  I don't think we'll ever see a phone with such capabilities.  I couldn't even imagine how many chips would have to be embedded onto the phone's motherboard to even make that possible.

srlawren

@ompatel wrote:

@ompatel you have gotten several correct answers about the OnePlus 1, it will work fine.  I should note that you also asked if all phones work with Public Mobile, and the answer is NO not all phones.  Many phones from other regions (Asia, India, Europe) have only incompatible frequncies, though some do have the minimum required 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G frequencies as well.  Also, very old North American phones may only have CDMA and/or GSM available, neither of which will work with PM.

As @austinhuang noted (take note, @krazykiwi), the IMEI checker on PM's site is notoriously inaccurate for compatbility.  DO check your IMEI there, but ONLY look at the black-list status there and ignore compatbility.  For compatibility, check https://www.willmyphonework.net, and if you can't find it listed there, post the model number here and one of us can help find the specs and check it manually.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ompatel, I have a one plus one and its sister phone the Oppo Find 7.  I can confirm positively that the phone works with Public Mobile.  It has the critical band 4 LTE. 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@krazykiwi wrote:

@ompatel wrote:

The Public Mobile site has a link to enter your IMEI number to test if it will work on the PM network.

NEVER trust the IMEI checker. I got fooled by it once (though as a compensation i got 4.5gb data for a month free of charge)

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@ompatel wrote:

The Public Mobile site has a link to enter your IMEI number to test if it will work on the PM network.

mimmo

It should.  If you want to double check use the website willmyphonework.net

Typically older rogers phones and asian market phones don't work as the are missing some frequencies

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes. (Phone, Network) Regardless of plans.

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Need Help? Let's chat.