cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective Sim

jmats
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been with Public Mobile since February this year.  On Saturday, my phone (Samsung S4) suddenly failed to recognize my PM sim.  This same sim would not work on my wife's phone.  On the other hand, her PM sim would work on my phone.  Thus, I believe my PM has suddenly gone bad.  As suggested in the forums, I used an eraser on the sim card but this did not solve the problem.  What should I do now?

12 REPLIES 12

From a seller's perspective a SIM card is much like any one use items, eg toothbrushes, prophylactics etc.. once it is activated, they can't resell it anymore.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@jmats wrote:

I went back to the store and was informed that there are no warranties on sim cards.  I was told to contact the moderator.

I call BS, but it is what it is.
Unfortunately I do not know PM's policy regarding defective SIM cards.
Lucky Mobile will replace a defective SIM Card for free if it's within 1 year of when you bought it.

Just get a replacement card and wait for Moderator reply. If they approve, you should get refunded.

@jmats wrote:

I went back to the store and was informed that there are no warranties on sim cards.  I was told to contact the moderator.

I call BS, but it is what it is.
Unfortunately I do not know PM's policy regarding defective SIM cards.
Lucky Mobile will replace a defective SIM Card for free if it's within 1 year of when you bought it.

Just get a replacement card and wait for Moderator reply. If they approve, you should get refunded.

jmats

I sent a message to the moderator a week ago but have not gotten a reply.

jmats

jmats

I agree.  It was my plan to go to a store this morning.  Thanks for all the information you provided.  Appreciate it!

@jmats, I simply suggested the in-store route because you should be able to get a replacement SIM the same day.

You can opt for contacting Moderator Team, but they seem busier than usual nowadays.

FAQ is here The Public Mobile Moderator Team

jmats

Hi.  My account status is "Active".  A bad sim card was the last thing I suspected because in the 20 or so years I have had a mobile phone I have never had a bad sim card.  I only suspected it after I transferred my PM sim to a spare phone and got the same result (or non result).  My suspicions were confirmed when I did a sim swap with my wife's phone.  Her PM sim worked on my phone but my PM sim failed to work on hers.  I believe the only logical explanation left is the sim card has gone bad.  Thus, I went online to the community forum and was surprised at the number of users who have had the same "bad sim" experience.  I will definitely contact a moderator.  Thanks for the tip/s!

jmats

Hi.  My account status is "Active".  A bad sim card was the last thing I suspected because in the 20 or so years I have had a mobile phone I have never had a bad sim card.  I only suspected it after I transferred my PM sim to a spare phone and got the same result (or non result).  My suspicions were confirmed when I did a sim swap with my wife's phone.  Her PM sim worked on my phone but my PM sim failed to work on hers.  I believe the only logical explanation left is the sim card has gone bad.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jmats wrote:

I have been with Public Mobile since February this year.  On Saturday, my phone (Samsung S4) suddenly failed to recognize my PM sim.  This same sim would not work on my wife's phone.  On the other hand, her PM sim would work on my phone.  Thus, I believe my PM has suddenly gone bad.  As suggested in the forums, I used an eraser on the sim card but this did not solve the problem.  What should I do now?

It's hard to believe that a SIM will go bad that quickly.

It's more likely something to do with your account.  I would login to verify all in good standing order and also contact a moderator (link) to have them also look into your account.  Explain to the moderator exactly what happened; maybe they can send you a complimentary replacement SIM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jmats wrote:

@jmats  Did you login into your self serve account? Is your plan active? Make sure your account is not been accidentally suspended. Other than that if everything looks good then from what you describe it must be the sim.

jmats

Tried cleaning the sim card with alcohol but it still would not work.  Unless I get other suggestions, I will go to the store and try to secure a replacement.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@jmats, you can also try cleaning it with some rubbing rubbing alcohol.

In any case, 3 months of usage is way too short. If possible, go back to the shop where you purchased the SIM and explain what happened. They should be able to offer a free replacement.

Need Help? Let's chat.