cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

junebug
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How does Public Mobile measure the data you use?

I have a message from them saying I have almost use up my data but my phone says I've only use 195mb. I have 1 g of data on my monthly plan.

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LovesToPM wrote:

@junebug wrote:

I have a message from them saying I have almost use up my data but my phone says I've only use 195mb. I have 1 g of data on my monthly plan.

Go to "Usage History" on your account to check the daily data usage. If the count doesn't add up, then you should contact Moderator_team to straighten this out. Also if your phone is displaying less data usage for the same period/cycle, this will confirm the issue.

One other customer has reported a similar issue. They are saying the Data usage on the Overview page is higher than expected. Looks like the data counter was not properly reset for them when the plan was last renewed.

@Anonymous  what do you think? Could this be same issue as:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Over-half-my-data-used-in-1-day/m-p/395374#M48347

Sure. Could be. Not enough info yet to conclude that. The customer would need to do their homework. Usually this is a problem of taking the phone counter over the self-serve counter as gospel.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@junebug wrote:

Go to "Usage History" on your account to check the daily data usage. If the count doesn't add up, then you should contact Moderator_team to straighten this out. Also if your phone is displaying less data usage for the same period/cycle, this will confirm the issue.

One other customer has reported a similar issue. They are saying the Data usage on the Overview page is higher than expected. Looks like the data counter was not properly reset for them when the plan was last renewed.

@Anonymous  what do you think? Could this be same issue as:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Over-half-my-data-used-in-1-day/m-p/395374#M48347

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's only 75 and 95... not 100. At 100...it just stops. A pretty effective notification. 🙂

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@junebug wrote:

@junebug You can easily view your usage in your Public Mobile Self Serve account by clicking on the Plan and Add-Ons tab, then on Add-On Usage. Here, you will find a summary of your data usage for the current billing cycle. You can also conveniently select Usage History for a daily, weekly or monthly summary view.

Public Mobile will notify you via text message when you're close to using all of the data included in your rate plan. Data notifications indicate how much of your included plan data you have used, so you know when you’re approaching your limit. The default data notifications are set at 75%, 95% and 100% consumption of your data allotments.

Tips and tricks for managing features and applications.

1. Autoplay
Many of the most commonly used applications like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube offer a neat feature called Autoplay. While using this app, the Autoplay feature will preload and play videos automatically in your “news” feed automatically as you progress through it.

While this is great for quickly watching videos, it can also consume a lot of data. (Did you know that watching a video over your mobile data varies from 0.21 Mbps (Megabytes per seconds) to 5.2 Mbps depending on its quality?)

If you’re finding that you’re going through your data really quickly or know that you’ve almost used your entire allotted amount, setting your Autoplay to work using Wi-Fi only or disabling it may be a good option for you. Learn how to below.

Facebook
Visit the Facebook “Autoplay” help page for more details.

Instagram
Visit the Instagram “Use Less Data” help page for more details.

Twitter
Visit the Twitter “How can I stop videos from autoplaying” help page for more details.

YouTube
Visit the YouTube “Turn-Off Autoplay” help page for more details.

2.GPS Navigation
GPS navigation is another feature that in fact, does require high mobile data. As a substitute, you could use Google Maps, which is a free navigation application that offers the ability to navigate offline. You can also purchase other navigation applications that will allow you to navigate without using data and quickly change spending into an investment.

3.Google Map
Visit the Google Map “Download areas and navigate offline” help page for more details.

Other Applications
Other applications like video games, weather, music streaming can consume a lot of data. The good news is that most smartphones will give you the ability to restrict background data for each application that you use on a daily basis. We invite you to visit your handset manufacturer website for more details.

Note: The above is a cut and paste from the following  Knowledge Base article

Edit: To correct as per Z's comment below.

charlesgo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you use iOS, you can reset your useage statistics on the first day of your billing cycle.  I find this quite accurate on Apple products!

marsofearth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public Mobile (Public) Data measures should follow your payment dates.  

Your phone data calculations may be on a different period.  Check to see when your phone data statistics start, and compare that to your plan.

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The PM system is more reliable.   go by that and not your phone data counter.

Apps use data in the background and your phones counter won't catch that usage.

If your not on wifi then data gets used prettry fast too.

Need Help? Let's chat.