cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage issue

camvandonk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there! So I just had my plan renewed two days ago and have only used approximately 1 hour worth of data on my phone which is usually 200mB. But I just got a notification saying I’ve use 9500mB of data which is 75% of the total. And I know I haven’t used near the amount of data in a single day! So I’m just wondering if there could have been some glitch that caused the data usage number to be incorrect? Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

madziara166
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Unfortunally many apps use data in background. Try checking datally app by google which shows you daily the usage and give you option to restricte apps that use too much.

It happend to me before as well

Steven604
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you're using an Android phone you can also micro-manage how apps use data.

Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage
Touch Data Saver
Turn it on and then touch "Unrestricted Data" to see a list of apps that are allowed to use unrestricted data even when Data Saver is on. You will be able to turn them on/off in the list.

foldhero

You should check your phone's mobile data usage, see if that number matches the PM data. If not, you can keep the evidence and contact the moderator. Otherwise, you need to check what app was using all the data.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cavemantoronto wrote:

It is easy to use that much in an hour and not know. Bad apps can download videos in background to to play ads.  App store could have autoupdates turned on.  Phone might have downloaded a software update. I do not know if it is a glitch but using that much is not hard.

@cavemantoronto this is sadly true and apps can misbehave sometimes even when normally fine.  This happened on my mother's phone last summer when Listonic (a list app we both use for groceries) must have gotten into a loop and used up I think it was nearly 200mb of data.  At the time, her plan only had 500, and she also happened to be travelling in Ontario for a few weeks and staying with friends and family and didn't think to get on their WiFi.  Her normally nominal usage with those two things combined pushed her into overage, though thankfully not by much and it only cost me (I pay for her cell service) I think it was $5 or $7 in overage.  Most months she uses barely 100mb-200mb.  I was also personally affected a couple of months ago when a site I visited in Chrome and left a page open from for a couple of days actually chewed through well over 1.5GB of my data over the course of a few days, all on its own before I noticed and killed it.  Fortunately I had enough headroom to not run out of data, but got much closer than typical.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

raggabless

Try to go the Data options and restric some apps from running in the background. 

Check your app Store settings for apps that wil update using your Phone Data.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@camvandonk wrote:

Hi there! So I just had my plan renewed two days ago and have only used approximately 1 hour worth of data on my phone which is usually 200mB. But I just got a notification saying I’ve use 9500mB of data which is 75% of the total. And I know I haven’t used near the amount of data in a single day! So I’m just wondering if there could have been some glitch that caused the data usage number to be incorrect? Thanks 

How do you know for sure?  It is easy to use that much in an hour and not know. Bad apps can download videos in background to to play ads.  App store could have autoupdates turned on.  Phone might have downloaded a software update. I do not know if it is a glitch but using that much is not hard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@camvandonk  - If everything is good on your end, and you are sure you were not using data when you thought you were on WiFi, you would need to contact the moderator team and asak them to check it.  It is possible that your data did not reset properly during your plan renewal.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 8AM-Midnight(EST) & Sat/Sun 8AM-10:00PM(EST)

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@camvandonk wrote:

PM's data usage is pretty accurate. Do you use WiFi? Is it possible WiFi went down and you used data instead. Login into selfserve and you can review you data usage for more info.

Need Help? Let's chat.