cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage inaccurate

naddude
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi:

I am new to PM but noticed  an issue of inaacurate data usage in "my account". After three days my phone and two independent data trackers indicate more than 50% less than the amount PM claims I used (I wrote to a mod who says the site is being fixed). Is this an unusual issue? Will it really be fixed?

31 REPLIES 31

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey @Picasso1, you are responding to a really old thread and one that's been marked as "Solved" so it would be a better idea to create a new thread for yourself.

In any event, is the PM-claimed usage for the same time period (since Jan 4)?

You could also send a private message to the moderators by clicking here and providing your email address, phone number and your problem description. 🙂  

Picasso1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is BS, Public Mobile is inaccurately calculating my data usage. My phone states I've only used 1.18gb from Jan 4 to now, and PM claims I've used 4.6gb of data. I knew there was a catch to Public Mobile cheap plans, screw the customer on Data Usage. 

naddude

@srlawren wrote:

@naddude first of all, double check that you don't have WiFi Assist enabled on your iPhone.  That will use mobile data even while connected to a WiFi network.

Secondly, the sample set you're looking at is very small.  Give it a few more days or a week or so and check again.  I think you should find the percentage of difference will decrease.

Thank you.

naddude

@kav2001c wrote:

There are a couple of threads about this (incl mine)

Last month our data use / tracking stats dissapeared (around April 25th)

When they resumed the new stats (around early May, probably 5th or so) the stats show we are using ALOT more data than we previously did

Two possibilities

1- System was tracking wrong before and they corrected it

2- System is tracking wrong now and needs to be corrected

But something happened at the end of last month

I also have no difference in how I use my phone but Public's website is showing ALOT more data being consumed (like I am talking an extra gig in past month)

Go into your use history and manually add up what site says

Go to main page and look at number displayed for total used

There is a significant difference

This isn't due to losing packets or something on the phone end

Exactly.

This is what I was interested in: understanding and not "complaining about."

It seems that the PM web site is very irratic and I was just interested in how they calcualte it.  I didn't appreciate the insulting, sarcastic, and  demeaning  posts from others who think they were being "helpful". They were not.

naddude

@RLBL wrote:

@Garry wrote:
Holy Christ.....Its only 16mb were talking about.
As far as I'm personally concerned, you have nothing to bitch about until you reach 250mb. That would constitute a fair assessment of your comparisons.
Making a case over 16mb is just foolish. The mods have more important tasks to attend to.

Agreed 100%.

@naddude:

I just checked my usage for this month:

My Phone (Android N6) says I have used 1.81 GB since my last start date (90 plan); PM says I have used 1.836 (a difference of 25MB on an almost 2GB sample size.  That is statiscally accurate to +/- 1.4%, assuming I have used around that much data which I assume I did given two trackers put me in that ballpark)

Another point to mention is that opening a web page, or an app updating can use a couple of MBs to a couple of hundred of MBs of data.  Squacking over a delta 8MB is downright silly (especially when you are only using a 8-16MB data sample size... that is like estimating your phone's SOT - screen on time - after it has been off the charger for 5 minutes)

Thanks for your (silly) helpful reply.

Have a great day!

naddude

@Garry wrote:
As far as I'm personally concerned, you have nothing to bitch about until you reach 250mb. That would constitute a fair assessment of your comparisons.
Making a case over 16mb is just foolish. The mods have more important tasks to attend to.

Clearly you have nothing better to do than troll posters.

It wasn't the amount of usage but the way it is calculated which is irratic. Today My usage was reduced by another 5 megs notwitstanding everyone's insitance that it was accurate. 

Thanks for your hospitalty (i.e. hostility)

You'd "catch more flies with honey than vinager."

There are a couple of threads about this (incl mine)

Last month our data use / tracking stats dissapeared (around April 25th)

When they resumed the new stats (around early May, probably 5th or so) the stats show we are using ALOT more data than we previously did

Two possibilities

1- System was tracking wrong before and they corrected it

2- System is tracking wrong now and needs to be corrected

But something happened at the end of last month

I also have no difference in how I use my phone but Public's website is showing ALOT more data being consumed (like I am talking an extra gig in past month)

Go into your use history and manually add up what site says

Go to main page and look at number displayed for total used

There is a significant difference

This isn't due to losing packets or something on the phone end

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Garry wrote:

Agreed 100%.

@naddude:

I just checked my usage for this month:

My Phone (Android N6) says I have used 1.81 GB since my last start date (90 plan); PM says I have used 1.836 (a difference of 25MB on an almost 2GB sample size.  That is statiscally accurate to +/- 1.4%, assuming I have used around that much data which I assume I did given two trackers put me in that ballpark)

Another point to mention is that opening a web page, or an app updating can use a couple of MBs to a couple of hundred of MBs of data.  Squacking over a delta 8MB is downright silly (especially when you are only using a 8-16MB data sample size... that is like estimating your phone's SOT - screen on time - after it has been off the charger for 5 minutes)

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@naddude
The data counter on PM's site is accurate for me. How long are you waiting after transferring data to compare usage? There may be a delay on the website, whereas your apps would display real-time results.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@naddude first of all, double check that you don't have WiFi Assist enabled on your iPhone.  That will use mobile data even while connected to a WiFi network.

Secondly, the sample set you're looking at is very small.  Give it a few more days or a week or so and check again.  I think you should find the percentage of difference will decrease.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

naddude

I checked the history on your site : 2 megs

My phone 8 megs

my independent tracker : 8 megs

2nd indpeendent tracker 8 megs.

Your total on the "plan" part of my account: 16 megs (not true)

How is one ever to know what the real usage will be?

BTW I have been on WIFI most of the time ......

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

I have checked them and I have responded. I've also verified on my end and it only shows that 16MB was used - can you please log into your self-serve account to confirm this?

I also looked at your usage and I was able to calculate the same amount - now 16116KB used @naddude

Mary

naddude

Check my private message and my actual data history on your site and you see a wildly different decreapcy.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

As mentioned, you only consumed 16MB- which is really a small amount (16050KB, only enough to open a page or open an app and browse a few pages) @naddude

Mary 

naddude

Mary:  I have not made any big chnges to my system and the iPhone settings tracker of data has always been very accurate. So the problem is at your end. At this point although the descrepancy is about 50% the amount of data is small. I will keep an eye on your site to endure it was a one time only descrepancy and not  a trend. Still how do you account for such a large difference? I was with Telus mobile for more than 15 years and never expereinced this. I know you are using the same system so how does this happen?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Thank you for your reply!

We don't double usage - the usage shown on our end is accurate. Have you upgraded any apps or the OS of your phone? These could also be the root of the issue and the reason why your data consumption is so high @naddude

Mary

naddude

@Mary_M wrote:

Good morning @naddude,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I have sent you a private message  - rest assured that you have only consumed about 16 MB 😃

Cheers,

Mary

Hi Mary:

That is the problem.I  have actually only consumed 8 mgs of data according to my iPhone and independent tracker. So I wonder how PM calculates its usage? If it's a trend PM is doubling my actual usage on a continual basis them 3 gigs will only equal 1.5 gigs.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @naddude,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I have sent you a private message  - rest assured that you have only consumed about 16 MB 😃

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

@clarkbrand wrote:
I am new to PM and have tracked data for a few days, the amounts have been within a few points of eachother although PM is higher. I see they do round up to 10kb so that explains it being slightly higher.

Every carrier does round up in some way.  The 10 kB round up is clearly noted as footnote 4 on the plan page.  When I was with Wind Mobile, they would round off to the nearest 1 MB for roaming data.  I would end up paying more for round off than actual data used.  Everytime the phone synced on new email or message receipt, I would clock at least 1 MB of data.  It was terrible. 

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am new to PM and have tracked data for a few days, the amounts have been within a few points of eachother although PM is higher. I see they do round up to 10kb so that explains it being slightly higher.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Hi,

If the mods have told you that the site is being fixed then please stay patient and check when the site maintenance is completed. If you still have an issue by then, then please contact one of the mods again.

Thank you for your patience.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

How much data have been consumed?  There is round off on the Public Mobile data tracker with each batch of data.  Over time with a reasonable amount of data used, the Public Mobile data tracker is pretty close to other data trackers including the stock one on android.  So don't expect great comparison after using 5 megs of data.  Of course this could be a he said, she said thing.  On what basis is the Public Mobile data tracker incorrect?  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

As you state  50% more is a big difference.  you have done what you are supposed to contact a mod.  they will look into it and get back to you.

now when you say 50% are you stating 2gb vs 4 gb or 100 mb vs 200mb.  I know when i auto renewed  last week  there appeared to be some phantom usage 50-100 mb cant remember exatly, but it could have simply been cycle times or something so i dint gve it much thought.

If your independent tracker showing a big difference and you know for sure that you didn't use much of data then I would suggest contact mod dept to investigate futher heres how
Contact mod dept they will help you with the process
In your private message to any moderator include whatever bits of the following info you have:
* PM account email address
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation
* Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST)
Here is the link for how to contact moderators http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updiated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

What you do click on link then webpage will open. You will see a mod team click on any name then scroll down all the way and click on send a private msg then explain your reason with account and email address
Thanks
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

naddude

@RogerI wrote:

That's odd. In my experience, my phone tracker, and the PM web site are very close. Within a  a % most of the time. 

Well yes, isn't that the point of my post? Smiley Frustrated

The site is not.

RogerI

That's odd. In my experience, my phone tracker, and the PM web site are very close. Within a  a % most of the time. 

naddude

OK. Once again simply put: the data usage in "my account" on public mobile is double what I am actually using (as monitored by)  : my iphone itself, and two independent apps which manage data flow. So What  apps   I  am using is irrlevant. Thanks

hoping this doesnt add to the confusion, but if you're not on wifi, and if you dont have certian settings turned off, applications can use data in the background 

naddude

I don't think you understand my question or I am not asking it in a  clear fashion. I am not doing anything. My cell phone and independent tracker apps  are idicating my useage at 50% less than it is indicated in "my account" at public mobile.ca.

Need Help? Let's chat.