Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Going Very Fast

rjsmith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

$40 / 4g+500mb / 30 days plan

Switched to PM in May 2019. 

I've been burning through my data almost every two - three weeks ever since switching to PM and keep having to renew early. Before PM, I was with Telus 4g/30 days and rarely hit above 75% usage. My usage habits haven't changed. 

Anyone else experiene this? If I have been using LTE instead of 3g, will that cause me to burn through my data faster? 

thanks,

19 REPLIES 19

@Robidoo wrote:

So this is not a solution but a reason. Is there an actual solution to this pestering issue?

The only solution is to disable data or don't use it for activity that uses a lot of data. If videos are watched or big files downloaded, data can be used quickly.

Robidoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's configured that when on Wifi my data is not being used. Now as an added measure, I just disabled "Background Data Usage' on the biggest consuming apps.

@Robidoo 

@Robidoo wrote:

So this is not a solution but a reason. Is there an actual solution to this pestering issue?

Each individual situation would be different, so the actual solution would vary from person to person.  You would need to troubleshoot your individual situation.

Here is some more official advice:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Robidoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

semy

My I do same,2 days ago I do not have the internet ,My plan is 5 gb ,not 2,5 gb

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

In addition to the points mentioned by others above: WiFi assist can also be a data sucker on apple devices (newer Android phones might have a similar feature). Simply put, if the phone is allowed to do so, it will still use data if it deems the WiFi it is connected to not fast and / or strong enough

@rjsmith wrote:

thank you! Going to try a mix of all the things discussed in this thread and see if it makes a difference this cycle. I think I will stick to 3g as well for now and see if it make s abig difference. 

thanks all!

Being on a Public Mobile "3g" plan can actually provide faster speeds in some cases if you set your network type to match that.  I would try to avoid using data unecessariliy.  There's no point in running out of data just for testing purposes.

rjsmith

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bravo_md wrote:

Using LTE wouldn't burn thru your data faster than using 3 G speeds.  Actually, the $40 plan gives you 3G speed which is actually LTE throttled back to 3G speeds.

What phone are you using and what are the specs. 

You must have alot of APPS working overtime in the background that your not aware of.

You may not be on WIFI when you think you are.

Having a faster connection can mean that data gets used faster.  It's not because of the faster speeds itself but because some programs/apps will transfer a higher amount of data when it deems that the connection is more capable. If we take an example such as watching Youtube videos or movies on Netflix when usuing cellular data, these software applications will stream content at a higher bitrate when there is a faster connection.  The Speedtest.net app also tends to use a lot more data with a faster connection because it appears to let the test run for a preset amount of time.

thank you! Going to try a mix of all the things discussed in this thread and see if it makes a difference this cycle. I think I will stick to 3g as well for now and see if it make s abig difference. 

thanks all!

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think you've got a lot of really good ideas to think about.  Good luck and keep us uptodate and you progress.

@bravo_md wrote:

Using LTE wouldn't burn thru your data faster than using 3 G speeds.  Actually, the $40 plan gives you 3G speed which is actually LTE throttled back to 3G speeds.

You must have alot of APPS working overtime in the background that your not aware of.

Having a faster connection can mean that data gets used faster.  It's not because of the faster speeds itself but because some programs/apps will transfer a higher amount of data when it deems that the connection is more capable. If we take an example such as watching Youtube videos or movies on Netflix when usuing cellular data, these software applications will stream content at a higher bitrate when there is a faster connection.  The Speedtest.net app also tends to use a lot more data with a faster connection because it appears to let the test run for a preset amount of time.

In the case of a "3g" plan, I don't usually see the latency as what these types of apps check for when deciding on streaming quality, but probably rather the overall available bandwidth.  If rjsmith is on a 3g plan, you're right that switching to an LTE connection wouldn't make it go faster than the advertised 3Mbps speeds.

bravo_md

I think your on the right track looking at the operating system.  That's why I wanted to know some of the specs   Closeness to router could very well be a problem too.

bravo_md

From talking to alot of co-workers, I've found that those using Iphones are indeed using more data then those using android phones.  Have't quite figured out why, other what I said before in my post.

@rjsmith  Make sure that you data counter resets properly after each renewal by checking your selfserve landing page. Also check your usage history logs for anything unusual.

rjsmith

@bravo_md wrote:

re: APPS - as a solution I've now disabled systems updates and app updates from running unless on wifi

re: WIFI - it's possible. One thing I've notices since installing ios 11.4.1 was that my phone is not always latching on to wifi when it should be, i.e. when i'm sitting next to our router 😕 

rjsmith

@bravo_md wrote:

You must have alot of APPS working overtime the the background that your not aware of.

iphone 6 16g running 11.4.1

bravo_md

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@rjsmithIt would be useful if you do an audit of your system (and install a traffice monitor) to see if anything is amiss eg an app that is doing background data transfers etc. Switching between 4G / LTE shouldn't cause a huge jump in difference except in video sites which think you want higher resolution videos.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@rjsmith wrote:

Hi, 

$40 / 4g+500mb / 30 days plan

Switched to PM in May 2019. 

I've been burning through my data almost every two - three weeks ever since switching to PM and keep having to renew early. Before PM, I was with Telus 4g/30 days and rarely hit above 75% usage. My usage habits haven't changed. 

@rjsmith That should not be happening unless your WiFi is going down on a regular basis and you end up using data. Also make sure that you use Autoplay for the popular apps only when on Wi-Fi.

Anyone else experiene this? If I have been using LTE instead of 3g, will that cause me to burn through my data faster? 

No, even though you are on LTE your connection is still throttled down to 3 Mbps (3G speeds).

thanks,

Need Help? Let's chat.