cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Overages?

Jazminnie25
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I've moved into a new condo and we don't have our internet hooked up yet. I currently have 4.5GB of data a month which is normally fine, but without the wifi at home I'm worried about overages! 

Is there a flat overage charge? Or an add-on you can tack on when you notice you're near the end of your monthly data?

I'm currently at 1.7GB (and about halfway through the pay cycle), so I have some time before I'm out of data, I just want to know my options.

22 REPLIES 22

@Anonymous  hi an intertube is that something that goes in a tire? Smiley LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@halifmike 

You've been here a while...it would be more understandable and have some flow if you replied to someone. A post just out of the blue has no context.

On top of that...this is a solved thread. Unless you have something to say beyond what has already been said then there's no real point in adding more.

But hey who am I. Just a random punter out on the intertubes. Do what you like.

halifmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No need to increase your base plan, however, if your extra data usage was a one-time thing. I say this since the 1gig add on stays there until you use it all. 

Mind you, PM has such great deals, you might just want to increase your data for $5 or $10/month. 

halifmike

... and look for deals with telecom companies. In Nova Scotia, I deal with City Communications, and pay about $69 for my high speed data plan, taxes in. I chose not to pay over $110 for the same thing from other telecom companies.

halifmike

You should always click the "change plan at next renewal" box so that you don't lose any time you have in your current period. 

Once it starts the new period, you will have the new data amount.

halifmike

But beware that you first have to add money to your account in order to buy extra data or any extra options. If you don't have money or enough money in your account for the option you are buying, it will kick you into the screen where you can add money. But it won't add the option, or put you back to the screen where you were trying to add the option. 

So - look to see what the option costs, add that amount to you account, then go and add the option.

The way it works if a little wonky, but once you get used to it, it's okay.

halifmike

That's one of the HUGE advantages of Public Mobile. Your data is pre-paid, and when you run out, rather than charge you horrendous overage fees, your data just stops. But wait... there's more! You can buy extra data at reasonable rates ($30 for 1 gig if memory serves) and it will just hang in there until you use it. That is, it does not run out. You can use 100 meg of it and have 900 meg left for other times you go over. How's that for COOL? Buy it and it doesn't run out! What other telephony company does that?

I tell my friends with kids that this is the ONLY way to go. No overages from your kids. And guess what? Once they run out a few times and can't get any more data until their renewal date, they learn pretty quickly to watch their data usage.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jazminnie25nothing to worry about, there's no such thing as overages with PM.  Once you hit your max allowed amount for the month then the service will be locked until your cycle re-sets the next month.  You can purchase the 1GB add-on, however if you think your situation is going to take awhile, like a couple weeks, then I recommend you just increase your base plan to one that offers you more data.  Might be cheaper that way.  

@Jazminnie25

Since you moved to a new area, I thought you might benefit from some tips
- Get your internet hooked up asap. New condo? Find out which ISP your neighbours are using.
- Find your local hotspots. In some areas like downtown, you may even have free wifi. How about nearby cafe?

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No problem that's what we are here for.   Glad to help  and THANK YOU FOR the questions.

Jazminnie25

Thanks for all the help! I greatly appreciate it!

bravo_md

It will add 4.5  plus  .5  automatically.    in self serve you'll total of 5.0 GB  available to you for the month.

Jazminnie25

It looks like there is a better current offer going on now. Thanks for suggesting I check out the other plans!

Jazminnie25

I checked out the current plans and there's the $40 for 4.5GB with 500MB if you do auto-pay. So I swapped to that for next month, but if I switched to that this month would it auto adjust the data limit? (I do auto-pay) 

@Jazminnie25 wrote:

I can do those changes myself in the self-service section? Would it affect any current "promotions" that I'm a part of? I feel like when I got this plan a couple months ago when I first switched there was some sort of $40 for 4.5 thing going on.

If you renew your current plan then "no".

If you change, then you must pick from current offers (so maybe yes, maybe no).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bravo_md

Any promo freebees are lost only when you due a plan change.

Jazminnie25

I can do those changes myself in the self-service section? Would it affect any current "promotions" that I'm a part of? I feel like when I got this plan a couple months ago when I first switched there was some sort of $40 for 4.5 thing going on.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Jazminnie25 If you run short, just prepay your current plan then click this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 to send a private message to the moderator team requesting an early renewal. Contact them before you are really out as sometimes they answer within in 24 hours, but usually take several days.

You could also change your plan early to the $50 plan and then immediately put in a change plan back to your current plan when the $50 plan expires.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jazminnie25

Thank you!

bravo_md

You can get data add on thru your self serve account.  See the options there to add more to tie you over till next month.

Jazminnie25

So is there a way to add more data for one month? Or am I done when I hit 4.5?

bravo_md

Plans are prepaid,  so NO overages charges.

Need Help? Let's chat.