cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Add-On Usage SMS Notification?

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If I purchase a Data Add-On, is there any SMS notification when that is about to be (or is) used up?  Or does it just stop working?

I know, from this thread, that long-distance add-ons do yield notifications, and I've gotten the 75/95% usage notification on my included data.  I couldn't find any information regarding Data Add-On notifications however.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

CalgaryBen

Actually, to answer my own question (because it's a bit of a weird  behaviour IMO, and also since I apparently like to talk to myself):

It appears you get notifications when you reach 75/95% of your total available data at the time.  For example, in May I used ~750 MB of my 1GB included in my 30-day plan, and got an SMS notification about this (as expected).  I proactively bought a 1GB add-on to cover some planned travel and data usage before the start of my next cycle.  I got another 75% usage notification when I reached about 1.5 GB of usage (of the 1.0 GB included + 1.0 GB add-on), but did not get any 95% or 100% notification when I approached/passed the 1.0 GB usage and consumed all my "included" data.

I had about 400 MB carry-over to the next billing cycle (call it June, since it started on June 2), so about 1.4 GB available (for the purists out there, I acknowledge 1GB=1024MB, but I'll round to 1000MB for ease of the exemplification).  I didn't get a notification at 750 MB of data usage during this cycle; instead, I got the 75% notification when I consumed ~1050 MB of data (1050/1400 = 75%).  From this point on, I'm not sure how the system does the math (i.e. at what point does it notify my again?), since the "1GB at 3G Speed" line in my account overview dropped off as opposed to remaining and showing 1024 MB / 1024 MB used.  I didn't use enough data to reach 75% of the add-on, to see if it'd notify me again.

Anyway, leaves a bit to be desired, but I can live with it.  I can appreciate it gets convoluted when developers try to consider all edge cases.  Suffice it to say that you don't get notification about what bucket has been consumed... it all gets thrown together to some extent!

CalgaryBen

Okay, thanks @LEGO!  I wasn't sure since the notifications specified indicate "Public Mobile here. You have used XX% of the data included in your service. Go to publicmobile.ca/selfserve for more options." so I wasn't sure if this would also apply to add-ons.

LEGO

@CalgaryBen Yes, you will receive notifications:

Warning Notification: 95% of data allotment has been used

Public Mobile here. You have used 95% of the data included in your service. Go to publicmobile.ca/selfserve for more options.

Warning Notification: 75% of data allotment has been used

Public Mobile here. You have used 75% of the data included in your service. Go to publicmobile.ca/selfserve for more options.

Need Help? Let's chat.