cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I do a port in when my PC prepaid is $0 balance?

irisxiaolu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just got my PM new number active today. Then my PC prepaid number ran out of money. Could I still request a port in or I need to top up my PC number first?

Thank you very much!

Iris

23 REPLIES 23

irisxiaolu

Happy to join the community! It is a great group of people!

@irisxiaolu wrote:

It turns out that the port in was successful through the online form. I did not get a message so was trying again. That’s when I got the error message. Thank you everyone for your help! Much appreciate it.

Do not go by any successful message shown on your screen inside the self- serve account. "Sucessful" means nothing here - well almost nothing.  It is just an indication that Public Moible has received the request and has assigned the phone number to your account.  The self-serve message does not mean that your phone number has been trasnfered over.

Check to make sure that you got a text message from Public Mobile saying that the trasnfer completed and also call your number and send a text message to to make sure that they are received.  If the number has not been transfered over yet, the phone call and text message will still go to your old carrier (PC Mobile in this case).

Welcome to public mobile!!!

irisxiaolu

It turns out that the port in was successful through the online form. I did not get a message so was trying again. That’s when I got the error message. Thank you everyone for your help! Much appreciate it.

@computergeek541 , I figured as long as the PC Mobile was active, it was fine, as that’s how it works here also.  The question about having the $0 balance just made me pause.

I would write to the moderator and ask them directly the question @irisxiaolu...

irisxiaolu

I got this message while checking if my old number is eligible to port in. What might be the issue? Thank you!

We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance.

@stonechucker wrote:

@irisxiaolu , as long as Your PC Mobile account can still function, it is considered active.  As stated, active plans can be ported.

Im not familiar with any other prepaid service, so I think with you asking about the balance, it’s confused some of us.

I'm looking at PC Mobile's website, and they don't currently have any purely pay-per-use plans.  I do not know if they ever did.  But, from what I see here, they don't have that now.  They do have monthly prepaid plans.

We need to ask ourselves, what happens if we have a $0 balance if we port out a Public Moible number.  The answer is that the port will go through with a $0 balance as long as the account is active.  PC Mobile is no different.

While we're talking about other carriers, I've even ported out even Wind/Freedom Mobile purely pay-per-use lines before with $0 balances.  They port out fine, the only condition being that the $0 balance can't have been caused by the balance expiring (goiong to $0 because of usage is fine).

You can do it by yourself in your self serve account...in plan and adds-on and CHANGE PHONE NUMBER...

@Lieuxhttps://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824?advanced=f...

@irisxiaolu  Sorry, it says for PC posted-paid, I'd read prepaid. You don't need to message a moderator.

irisxiaolu

I have not started the port out with PC. Shall I still send a message to a mod? Or is there a shelf serve option on my PM account? Thank you!

Don't be sorry for that @irisxiaolu you didn't do nothing wrong...we are here and learning things...customers like you...

irisxiaolu

Sorry about the confusion. I should have been more clear in my first question.

@Alex888 why?? I never send a message to the mods for that with prepaid telus or rogers...

@irisxiaolu  After you have started the port from PC Mobile you will need to send a private message to a moderator for your port to be completed. You can send them one here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@irisxiaolu , as long as Your PC Mobile account can still function, it is considered active.  As stated, active plans can be ported.

Im not familiar with any other prepaid service, so I think with you asking about the balance, it’s confused some of us.

@irisxiaolu wrote:

Just got my PM new number active today. Then my PC prepaid number ran out of money. Could I still request a port in or I need to top up my PC number first?

Thank you very much!

Iris

Yes, you can.  $0 doesn't mean inactive.  As long as the account is current (not suspended for not paying for a monthly prepaid plan, and not expired from not topping up before preset prepaid balance expiry date). 

It would be a different story if you had some type of monthly plan (even on prepaid) but it got suspended because you didn't pay for the renewal.  It would also be different if the balance got wiped out to $0 because it expired.

But, as I said, if you account is still current, even with $0 balance, you can port out.

irisxiaolu

I phoned PC mobile. They said it is OK. I will know later, I guess. Will keep you posted.

@irisxiaoluYes, it is free to port your number from another company. As long as they are both active it should be fine.

@Dunkman if the account is active it's not ok??? Even if no more funds...it's not enough??? I had a rogers prepaid account and everything went well...even if I had no more funds available...but my account was active...

irisxiaolu

@irisxiaolu wrote:

My account is active. 

Sorry, I mean when I check my PC account, it tells me that my account is active, and there is no more funds available. Thank you!

irisxiaolu

My account is active. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@irisxiaolu 

You need an active account before porting your number over.  So, you will need to top up your account first before porting over to Public Mobile.     (Edited)

Need Help? Let's chat.