cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing plans mid-month

dmoloney
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi group,

I'm currently on the $40 plan with 4.5 GB data, which started May 15th, but I realized I should have purchased the $50 plan with 8 GB.  I went under "change my plan" and the site wants to charge me $50.  Does anyone know what happens to the $40 I just paid on May 15?

9 REPLIES 9

bradlrob
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can set it up to change on renewal. You wont lose anything. It will automatically change to the more expensive,more data plan. That is  what i just done

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Marzipan wrote:

Isn't his best option to wait until he runs out of data then go on-line and initiate the upgraded plan?

The best case thing would be to make the the 5GB last the full 30 days and to future-date the plan change to only take effect at the time of the next renewal. Hangouts can be used for the U.S. calls.

However, if the customer does need that extra 3.5GB of data that the $50 plan offers, I would try to make the 5GB that you currenlty have on the $40 plan last for as long as possible into the 30 days as possible.  If the system is told to perform and immediate plan change, y will anythign paid for the $40 plan would be forfeited and any remaining data would be lost. The full $50 would also have to be paid immediately.  The member would also have to be mindful of when the $40 plan would have renewed because he/she wouldn't want to forget to change to the $50 plan, only to have the $40 plan accidently renewed. 

Would't the best option not be to select the new plan and use the option "Change on next re-newal date"

@Marzipan wrote:

Isn't his best option to wait until he runs out of data then go on-line and initiate the upgraded plan?

The best case thing would be to make the the 5GB last the full 30 days and to future-date the plan change to only take effect at the time of the next renewal. Hangouts can be used for the U.S. calls.

However, if the customer does need that extra 3.5GB of data that the $50 plan offers, I would try to make the 5GB that you currenlty have on the $40 plan last for as long as possible into the 30 days as possible.  If the system is told to perform and immediate plan change, y will anythign paid for the $40 plan would be forfeited and any remaining data would be lost. The full $50 would also have to be paid immediately.  The member would also have to be mindful of when the $40 plan would have renewed because he/she wouldn't want to forget to change to the $50 plan, only to have the $40 plan accidently renewed. 

Marzipan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

BEER

@sunflowershine wrote:

@dmoloney 

You don't want to pay too much that you can use up your data too. If you can keep track of your usage in "My Account", you may find that you actual don't need 8 GB of data. You can delete the change plan anytime before renewal date. 

Yes I agree 8 gb of data is a lot for persons, like myself, that mostly use WIFI and data only for emails, some banking and the occasional google search.  BUT for those that seem to be continuously with their phone in their face using snap chat and must view youtube clips and so on 8gb wont last more then a week at most. Also for example up to 3 GB per hour is used if one streams a HD video.”

BEER

@dmoloney wrote:

Hi group,

I'm currently on the $40 plan with 4.5 GB data, which started May 15th, but I realized I should have purchased the $50 plan with 8 GB.  I went under "change my plan" and the site wants to charge me $50.  Does anyone know what happens to the $40 I just paid on May 15?

Be patient and consider what I did - Instead of  "chnage my plan now" use the option to the right   "Change on next re-newal date"

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dmoloney You have to stick with your current plan at the moment. You probably don't want to lose all your unused data... You can set to change your plan in your next renewal cycle. You go to "My Account" and select "Change Plan". Select the one that you need and make sure you select change at the "Next renewal cycle". So you don't need to worry about it then. 

You don't want to pay too much that you can use up your data too. If you can keep track of your usage in "My Account", you may find that you actual don't need 8 GB of data. You can delete the change plan anytime before renewal date. 

@dmoloney wrote:

Hi group,

When trying to make this type of change, there should be warning telling you that you will lose what you've already paid if you make this change. As @Anonymous was saying, if you went ahead and made this change, you just forfeited your original plan and the payment towards it.

If you haven't yet made this change, I highly suggest that you manage your data usage accodrdingly so that 5GB lasts you an entire 30 days.  If you need U.S. calling, try installing Hangouts Dialer for free phone calls to U.S. phone numbers.  Then, I would tell the self-serve system that you wish to make the plan change to the $50 plan effective at the next renewal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dmoloney wrote:

Hi group,

It's gone. There are no refunds or pro-rating here. The site is doing exactly what you tell it to. It being a pre-paid service, you're asking it to start a new plan now. It says ok. If you like your money then you would want to set it to start at the next renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.