cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change number

Lillyshepherd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi folks, 

I changed my number using self-serve but the sim still shows the old number. This was done yesterday. What could the problem be? I have restarted the phone twice.

Cheers!

6 REPLIES 6

@LillyshepherdYou can also try to de-register your new number from iMessage, in case someone had used it previously: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

The old number may be hard to deregister with that page, you'd have to do it within your apple ID since you might not be able to receive SMS at your old number now.

Curious to know if you can send/receive calls & sms with the new number even if the SIM is showing the old number still. Also, you indicated you toggled airplane mode, but have you also tried restarting the phone too?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Lillyshepherd  Do you use an iPhone? If so this is a common issue just after activation of a new number. Usually cured by turning both Facetime/iMessage off, waiting 5 minutes and turning them on.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Lillyshepherd wrote:

Thank you! I tried Airplane mode to no avail. I have submitted a ticket. Hopefully it does not take long.

How about a full phone reboot?

Also, can you confirm if people you call actually see the new number, and what happens when someone else dials your new number? (Number not in service message? Voicemail?)

@Lillyshepherd wrote:

I changed my number using self-serve but the sim still shows the old number. This was done yesterday. What could the problem be? I have restarted the phone twice.

Is the new number actually working?  The new number is supposed to be pushed by the network and written to the SIM card automatically, but this not being done correclty should have no affect on your service.

Lillyshepherd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you! I tried Airplane mode to no avail. I have submitted a ticket. Hopefully it does not take long.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Lillyshepherd wrote:

Hi folks, 

Cheers!

Hi @Lillyshepherd 

If you used the self-serve feature to change your number, and completed the process, it should work.

Try toggling on Airplane mode, leave for a minute, toggle back off.

If you wrote down the new-to-you number, have someone else call it - what happens?   Also, what happens when someone calls your prior number?

Worst case, you could try using the change number function again.  

If it won't let you, and you really need to change your number, explain the situation to the Moderators who should be willing to assist.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.