cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular not working for browsing

melbinsebastian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My cellular connection is not working for browsing. But it works for whatsapp and skype. But it doesn't work for any thing else.

7 REPLIES 7

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@melbinsebastian wrote:

My cellular connection is not working for browsing. But it works for whatsapp and skype. But it doesn't work for any thing else.

@melbinsebastian  Has it ever worked. What version of Android are you running? Maybe 8.1? How did you add the APN entry? There is a known issue with that phone not allowing you to add an APN unless you use a workaround.

@melbinsebastianCan you double check your DNS settings? some instructions here. @Anonymous Whatsapp and Skype rely on UDP packets, they work slightly differently than browsers or any apps that need to resolve a domain name for connection.

Another way to narrow whether it is PM's end of the problem or your phone.. can you swap your sim with another phone that is known to be working? Since configurations are not stored on SIM card, you should be able to narrow down whether it is your phone or PM's problem pretty quick.

Android has so many configuration cul de sacs, it can get confusing after a while.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@melbinsebastian wrote:

My phone is asus ZenFone 3max. I tried Firefox too and still it doesn't work with cellular. Also apps like Google maps don't work too.

Are you sure Whatsapp and Skype were working on cell data and not just wifi? That doesn't make sense that some things work getting to the internet and some don't.

melbinsebastian

My phone is asus ZenFone 3max. I tried Firefox too and still it doesn't work with cellular. Also apps like Google maps don't work too.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@melbinsebastianIf it works for whatsapp and skype.. then it suggests that the data is working. What kind of phone is it? Have you try another browser like Firefox / Opera's cellphone versions? Mobile browsers still require DNS servers to resolve domain names.. make sure the DNS servers in your settings make sense eg 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) or 8.8.8.8 (google) are good candidates.

Debgraham

We had to turn off LTE for it to work. If you have a 3G plan then turn off LTE 🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@melbinsebastian wrote:

Which phone are your using?

Enable data.  Restart your phone.  If your phone does not set up the APN properly, you need to create a APN setting using the following info.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Need Help? Let's chat.