cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use sim card but checked before i bought and it was confirmed ok.

ivyswjung
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can't use sim card but checked before i bought and it was confirmed ok.   What do i do?!?  NO call centre to help...  aaaahhh

16 REPLIES 16

ivyswjung

Thanks!   all is solved.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ivyswjung wrote:

yes from appple store, unlocked.

Strange... usually iPhones from Apple Store are truly unlocked, versus SIM-free (which means it will lock to the carrier of the first SIM card inserted).  Stores like Best Buy, etc. used to sell the "SIM-free" versions which make it easier for them to stock a single "generic" SKU, which locks to a carrier afterward.  Are you the original purchaser?  You can have an Apple Store "Genius" confirm the "activation policy" on the phone, and then you can have the last carrier unlock it...

@hairbag1 wrote:

you have to contact previous cell provider and ask for a free unlock code. Apply code to free up the phone.

It's noteworthy to mention that there's no unlock code provided for iOS devices; unlock status is maintained on Apple's servers, and not on the device itself.  To unlock, the carrier simply adds the IMEI to a list that periodically gets sent to Apple's servers, authorizing an unlock.  Upon doing so, the iPhone will be authorized to use a different carrier SIM when it authenticates against the activation server.

@ivyswjung wrote:

you were right, not unlocked!!!    now i just have to set up the data... 

thanks for your help

There's more to it ....you have to contact previous cell provider and ask for a free unlock code. Apply code to free up the phone. THEN you can start with Public Mobile. Good luck and welcome aboard.

ivyswjung

you were right, not unlocked!!!    now i just have to set up the data... 

thanks for your help

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ivyswjung wrote:

more specifically

The sim card that you currently have installed in this iphone is from a carrier that is not suported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.  this is not a hardware issue with the iphone.  Please inseret another sim card...

Seems like your phone is locked to a different carrier. You will have to contact them to have it unlocked.

@ivyswjung wrote:

I will try to see if i can confirm it is unlocked.  

All you need to do is use a sim that you know is working properly but not with the same carrier you had prior.

@ivyswjung wrote:

more specifically

The sim card that you currently have installed in this iphone is from a carrier that is not suported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.  this is not a hardware issue with the iphone.  Please inseret another sim card...

The phone may have been unlocked before but got locked when you put the previous sim into it.

ivyswjung

I will try to see if i can confirm it is unlocked.  

@ivyswjung wrote:

more specifically

Where did you get the phone ? Did you just get it or have you had it a while ?

@ivyswjung wrote:

put the sim into iphone.   Phone says SIM not supported.  There is noting wrong with the phone.

I understand that apple says it is not locked but that error is typical with locked phones. 

Do you have a phone guaranteed to be not locked to test your PM sim in?

ivyswjung

more specifically

ivyswjung

put the sim into iphone.   Phone says SIM not supported.  There is noting wrong with the phone.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ivyswjung wrote:

Can't use sim card but checked before i bought and it was confirmed ok.   What do i do?!?  NO call centre to help...  aaaahhh

Ok so detail why your sim won't work. What message do you get that indicates problem ?

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ivyswjung wrote:

Can you be specific with what you've already tried, and what type of error message you are getting, or what isn't working.

ivyswjung

yes from appple store, unlocked.

from public mobile:

Your IMEI - 35201907834**** iPhone 6 A1549

Your device should work on our Network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ivyswjung wrote:

Did you look at willmyphonework.net?

Edit: Is the phone unlocked?

Need Help? Let's chat.